Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2015 NFL Draft: Analyzing Targets

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014, 04:52 AM by Kodiak.)

What's up guys. In case you don't remember me, I made a whole bunch of write-ups last year on the QB class. They were really raw and unrefined pieces, due in part to my lackluster writing ability and in part to the disparity of my coverage (case in point, I only broke down Blake's SoCar game, which was his worst, which really undervalued my rating of him). So this year, I'm going to apply my shoddy scouting skills to the other positions of need that we could take early in the draft, with better coverage equality, and maybe give you guys something fun and enlightening to read.

Side note before we start: I'm in India this year so my internet coverage is pretty bad at times. I'll try to stay posting if you guys are interested, but at times it can be difficult.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. The first thing to do is to break down our needs. I'll use a "Yes" if it's a clear need, "Maybe" if an upgrade would be nice but not absolutely crucial, or "No" if we are set at the position. For the sake of value-drafting, I will still endeavor to break down the top 1-2 players at every position. Here is my approximation of the Jags' needs (as of 20 October 2014):

QB: No (Blake is the best rookie QB I've seen in a while, has elite potential, and improved remarkably fast from college to the pros. And with Chad being our backup next year, I would be surprised if we took a QB unless the value was immense)

RB: Maybe (Remains to be seen if D Rob or the other guys can emerge as a feature back, until then it will probably be RBBC)

WR: No (AR15, Lee, Hurns, Ace, Cecil, and possibly Blackmon are a young, ascending corps, with at least top-10 potential)

TE: Yes (Marcedes is getting old and injury-prone, and Harbor is more H-back than TE. This IMO is our biggest weakness on offense)

OT: No (Joeckel is coming along very well and I think he will become a top-5 LT as projected. As for Paztor, anyone who has a history of stifling JJ Watt is good for me)

OG: Maybe (Linder is possibly our best OLman as a rook, but Beadles is older and has some concerns)

OC: Maybe (I think Bowanko is our C of the future, but wouldn't balk at a pick if good value was there)

The main thing with the offense (honestly with the whole team) is that it's so young that progression is very likely, so an accurate approximation of our needs is difficult.

DE: Yes (Clem and Red are getting old, and Branch looks to be ascending but is currently injured. DL rotation is important in our scheme, as is getting a young, dominant player, whether LEO or 5-tech)

DT: Maybe (Marks IMO is playing as well as any DT in the league right now, and Miller is more than holding his own. Yet here, too, rotation is a concern)

OLB: Yes (I think Telvin is the future at Will, but I'm not quite comfortable with JT Thomas at Otto)

ILB: Yes (Poz is a stud, but he's getting older, expensive, and more injury-prone)

CB: Maybe (Colvin is expected to nail down a starting job, and the combo of Gratz/McCray is pretty good. But this position is like DL in that you can't have enough talented players here)

FS: Yes (If Evans developed, it would be a coup for us. If not, however, we need an Earl Thomas. The role FS plays in our scheme is critical and we must satisfy this need)

SS: No (Cyprien is one of our best players and is steadily improving)

Ok, so, IMO, our biggest needs, in no particular order, are: TE, DE, OLB, ILB, and FS. Now, in terms of which prospects I'll be looking at, I don't have time to peruse each program for draft-eligible talent. So instead I'll be relying on the hard work of others! Haha I'll be using CBS's Big Board (www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/big-board ), and I'll also take suggestions for players to look at. Sound good? Good.

Post me some suggestions and I will try to get started right away.

Thanks and God bless. Smile

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2014, 07:24 AM by Kodiak.)

The players on my list (once again, open to suggestions)

TE:

Devin Funchess MICH

Nick O'Leary FSU

Jeff Heureman OSU

DE - LEO: 

Shillique Calhoun MSU

Dante Fowler Jr FL GRADE - 73 (www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic8315-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-dante-fowler-jr/ )

Randy Gregory NEB GRADE - 85

Shane Ray MIZZ GRADE - 79

DE - 5T :

Leonard Williams USC

Shawn Oakman BAYLOR

Michael Bennent OSU

OLB:

Vic Beasley CLEM GRADE - 69 (www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic7920-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-vic-beasely/ )

Hau'oli Kikaha WASH

Shaq Thompson WASH

ILB:

Denzel Perryman MIA GRADE - 81 ( www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7954-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-denzel-perryman/ )

Bednarick McKinney Ole Miss GRADE - 78

FS:

Landon Collins BAMA

Cody Prewitt Ole Miss

Kurtis Drummond MSU

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:The players on my list (once again, open to suggestions)

TE: Devin Funchess MICH, Nick O'Leary FSU, Jeff Heureman OSU

DE - LEO: Shillique Calhoun MSU, Dante Fowler Jr FL, Randy Gregory NEB, Shane Ray MIZZ

DE - 5T : Leonard Williams USC , Shawn Davis BAYLOR, Michael Bennent OSU

OLB: Vic Beasley CLEM, Hau'oli Kikaha WASH, Shaq Thompson WASH

ILB: Denzel Perryman MIA

FS: Landon Collins BAMA, Cody Prewitt Ole Miss, Kurtis Drummund MSU

Any other ideas?
Benardrick McKinney

Thanks for the reply... would you be interested in me continuing these writings?

Also, is he a LEO or LB candidate?

I really like La'el Collins at LG.  He's probably my #1 choice in a trade down to the mid to late 1st.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM by Kodiak.)

Ok, I just finished watching Funchess vs Notre Dame. I'll write something up and post a link to it here.

EDIT: here's Devin Funchess vs Notre Dame jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7898-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-devin-funchess-vs-notre-dame/

Always good, unbiased post from you Kodiak. I too am interested in what you think of McKinney. He can basically play any LB spot, dont think he will be much of a pass rusher, but a great, huge athletic guy. Also, Cody Prewitt (IMO, by far the best saftey prospect in this up coming draft.)
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:Always good, unbiased post from you Kodiak. I too am interested in what you think of McKinney. He can basically play any LB spot, dont think he will be much of a pass rusher, but a great, huge athletic guy. Also, Cody Prewitt (IMO, by far the best saftey prospect in this up coming draft.)

McKinney is much like an old school middle linebacker.  He's much better going downhill than sideline to sideline.  In coverage he takes a lot of missteps and has slow foot speed.  In my opinion, he's a 3rd rounder.

Prewitt has issues with being slow to read where the play is going.  He'll find himself out of place a lot on playaction and misdirection.  He struggles getting off of blocks by wide receivers.  He's got decent speed and good length, but seems more like a special teamer with potential.  I'd probably rate him in the 3rd round as well.  

Quote:Always good, unbiased post from you Kodiak. I too am interested in what you think of McKinney. He can basically play any LB spot, dont think he will be much of a pass rusher, but a great, huge athletic guy. Also, Cody Prewitt (IMO, by far the best saftey prospect in this up coming draft.)
McKinney is 6'4" I believe. Of course college stats as far as size are always way off. Is there a Pro LB that has ever been that tall? I cannot remember...Anyone??

I really like Prewitt also.

Great idea & thanks for your hard work.

Will be interesting reading it.

We need a few good linebackers and I'd like some more offensive linemen we can count on. Maybe a flex guard/center?
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:McKinney is 6'4" I believe. Of course college stats as far as size are always way off. Is there a Pro LB that has ever been that tall? I cannot remember...Anyone??

I really like Prewitt also.
Brian Urlacher was taller

I really like Shane Ray. He's relentless and gives great effort on each snap of every game. I would take a hard look at him if I were the jags.

I love Mike Davis from SC. Very tough and shifty with the ball. I doubt he lasts until round 4/5 which is where i would like the jags to select him because RB is not the biggest need yet
Shock the world

Quote:I really like Shane Ray. He's relentless and gives great effort on each snap of every game. I would take a hard look at him if I were the jags.

I love Mike Davis from SC. Very tough and shifty with the ball. I doubt he lasts until round 4/5 which is where i would like the jags to select him because RB is not the biggest need yet

I really like him too.  He reminds me of Dee Ford and Ryan Davis.  Unfortunately we already have one of them on our team.  I think Ray rises like Ford did at the end of the season.

[quote name="FreeAgent01" post="338805"

Prewitt has issues with being slow to read where the play is going. He'll find himself out of place a lot on playaction and misdirection. He struggles getting off of blocks by wide receivers. He's got decent speed and good length, but seems more like a special teamer with potential. I'd probably rate him in the 3rd round as well. [/quote]

Have you ever actually watched Prewitt? Getting off blocks and play recognition is his strong suit.

Quote:Have you ever actually watched Prewitt? Getting off blocks and play recognition is his strong suit.

No, I just guess on all my analysis.

Just broke down Vic Beasley, the link is above.

Quote:No, I just guess on all my analysis.
clearly

Quote:clearly

Or maybe, and this is definitely a possibility, I've watched and broken down enough tape on players since the 2003 draft when I first started taking an unhealthy interest in the draft, that I might have a better than average understanding of what I'm seeing.

Do they watch football in India or is more of a Cricket country?

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Do they watch football in India or is more of a Cricket country?

The Sikhs also love Kabaddi.