Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Todd Wash being kept as DC

Is this official yet?

I find it very frustrating that many defensive players have been complaining about is kept.. This guy doesn't set up our stars in positions to make plays. IMO he is literally benefiting from very good players.

This is the main reason I didn't want to hire within, in the first place because I knew we would be be stuck with the same coaching staff.

Anyone else disappointed ?

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If he still runs Gus' scheme I'll be very upset. But i have a feeling he's going to install his own. I'm willing to wait and see.

Quote:Is this official yet?

I find it very frustrating that many defensive players have been complaining about is kept.. This guy doesn't set up our stars in positions to make plays. IMO he is literally benefiting from very good players.

This is the main reason I didn't want to hire within, in the first place because I knew we would be be stuck with the same coaching staff.

I'm skeptical that this will work out right, but willing to wait before criticizing it.

At least we got rid of DeWayne Walker. IMO he was the worst of the remaining coaches.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

If it's a more traditional 4-3 look then we should be good.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I'm skeptical that this will work out right, but willing to wait before criticizing it.

At least we got rid of DeWayne Walker. IMO he was the worst of the remaining coaches.

We need to get rid of Mallory. His special teams units have been terrible since he was hired.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I don't think the DC is the issue, he only calls plays he doesn't sit there and evulate every player on the field that is what the assistant coaches are for.

It's their jobs to make sure they are making the right reads etc.. it's the DC job to put out the process of the HC. Not retaining the assistants tells us Marrone did not like them very much or not doing their job very well.

As a Dctobe top 15 with a crappy turnover ratio, you don't replace a guy whos getting production, but with new assistant I bet well see better positioning.
Jags 4 Life

Coaches and/or coordinators don't make players perform.   The sooner people realize this the better.

Was this past season's production a product of coaching/scheme?  Partially.  However, you can't always blame in on coaching/scheme.  At some point players have to step up and perform.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 06:33 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Coaches and/or coordinators don't make players perform. The sooner people realize this the better.

Was this past season's production a product of coaching/scheme? Partially. However, you can't always blame in on coaching/scheme. At some point players have to step up and perform.
When the players have been upgraded and the units still don't perform the blame goes somewhere. Something is causing them not to perform to expectations. Is is scheme? Lack of understanding? It's not lack of talent.

If I take the exact same course taught by two different professors it's quite possible I may grasp/have better understanding of the material that was taught by the professor who was able to "break it down" better vs the professor who just taught strictly from the textbook.

Quote:If he still runs Gus' scheme I'll be very upset. But i have a feeling he's going to install his own. I'm willing to wait and see.

I can't believe they'd fire everyone except for Wash and run the exact same scheme. They're likely going to run a more traditional 4-3, but felt Wash earned his keep with his handling of Bradley's scheme. Position coaches will need to be changed over done they'll be coaching the positions differently though.

Quote:I can't believe they'd fire everyone except for Wash and run the exact same scheme. They're likely going to run a more traditional 4-3, but felt Wash earned his keep with his handling of Bradley's scheme. Position coaches will need to be changed over done they'll be coaching the positions differently though.

Wash spent a few seasons on Raheem Morris' staff who I believe were more of a two high safety, tighter coverage type of defense. Maybe he's more of a believer in that philosophy himself.

Quote:I can't believe they'd fire everyone except for Wash and run the exact same scheme. They're likely going to run a more traditional 4-3, but felt Wash earned his keep with his handling of Bradley's scheme. Position coaches will need to be changed over done they'll be coaching the positions differently though.

Quote:By keeping Wash, the Jaguars are likely to remain a 4-3 front. But keeping Wash doesn’t mean the Jaguars will continue to run Gus Bradley’s scheme. And he’ll get to hire a staff that matches his philosophies and teaching style.

Among the possible changes: More split safety downfield, which will allow the cornerbacks to play tighter coverage and produced pass break-ups and interceptions? A strong-side linebacker that is off the ball? More early-down blitzes?

Expect the Jaguars to be more aggressive in coverage under Wash – their seven interceptions were last in the NFL this year. Wash ran Bradley’s system last year; this time around, Wash will get to run his plan.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-01-10/jaguars-insider-wash-will-put-own-stamp-defensive-scheme'>http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-01-10/jaguars-insider-wash-will-put-own-stamp-defensive-scheme</a>

#becausejaguars

Quote:If he still runs Gus' scheme I'll be very upset. But i have a feeling he's going to install his own. I'm willing to wait and see.

If we have to deal with the Leo and Otto stuff again, I seriously night have a stroke.

Quote:Coaches and/or coordinators don't make players perform. The sooner people realize this the better.

Was this past season's production a product of coaching/scheme? Partially. However, you can't always blame in on coaching/scheme. At some point players have to step up and perform.

Coach's and coordinators are a big part of how players perform. Especially for development and putting them in position to succeed.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017, 05:40 AM by jobclarke.)

Thursday can't get here fast enough for the press conference

It can work if he ditches Gus's awful scheme that requires all pro talent at key positions to have success. I am a little worried that the culture in the locker room won't see a change with keeping some guys around, but perhaps Marrone and Coughlin are disciplinarian enough to counter the other retained staff from the Gus era. Just happy Tom is back in town, and Marrone wasn't a candidate I ever ruled out, and am not surprised he landed the job. 

Quote:Is this official yet?

The players are not in charge of the team.  Those days are over.  

I'm not particularly disappointed we're keeping Todd Wash.  The defense performed very well last year in spite of not having a good pass rush.   If we get a pass rush, this defense can be dominant.  

Quote:When the players have been upgraded and the units still don't perform the blame goes somewhere. Something is causing them not to perform to expectations. Is is scheme? Lack of understanding? It's not lack of talent.

If I take the exact same course taught by two different professors it's quite possible I may grasp/have better understanding of the material that was taught by the professor who was able to "break it down" better vs the professor who just taught strictly from the textbook.

How did the defense not perform?   Statistically, they were a top-10 defense in 2016.   It was the offense and special teams that let the team down.  The defense was our best unit. 

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017, 07:38 AM by SeldomRite.)

Quote:How did the defense not perform? Statistically, they were a top-10 defense in 2016. It was the offense and special teams that let the team down. The defense was our best unit.
Yardage stats are practically meaningless.

The defense gave up a lot of points and couldn't hold on to leads late in games.

The defense that got called at the end of the colts game was exemplary of what the Jaguars defense has done through the year.

Quote:Yardage stats are practically meaningless.

The defense gave up a lot of points and couldn't hold on to leads late in games.

The defense that got called at the end of the colts game was exemplary of what the Jaguars defense has done through the year.

This. We're still near the bottom with points allowed. Can't win if we allow teams to score so much.

With that, the eye test shows an improving defense that should get better with time.