Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Todd Wash being kept as DC

Quote:Yardage stats are practically meaningless.

The defense gave up a lot of points and couldn't hold on to leads late in games.

The defense that got called at the end of the colts game was exemplary of what the Jaguars defense has done through the year.
Well to be fair, the offense put the defense in some awful spots this season considering how many times they turned the ball over.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Well to be fair, the offense put the defense in some awful spots this season considering how many times they turned the ball over.
+ all the three and outs and lopsided T.O.P. in many games.

If we're gonna' take that yardage ranking of the defense with a grain of salt, then the points allowed needs some flavor too. Too much was asked of that defense in a number of games. 

I still hate some of that conservative defense that was called in the 4th quarter of that colts game though. That's gotta' get fixed. 

I'm good with Wash. Our defense was playing pretty well and we featured a lot of young guys.
Shock the world

Quote:This. We're still near the bottom with points allowed. Can't win if we allow teams to score so much.

With that, the eye test shows an improving defense that should get better with time.

You would think... But every time we think an aspect of the team is taking a step forward, the next year they regress

Quote:+ all the three and outs and lopsided T.O.P. in many games.

If we're gonna' take that yardage ranking of the defense with a grain of salt, then the points allowed needs some flavor too. Too much was asked of that defense in a number of games. 

I still hate some of that conservative defense that was called in the 4th quarter of that colts game though. That's gotta' get fixed. 
I wasn't mad about the defense in the 4th quarter. Luck was going to make his comeback because that's what he does. I was more angry with the 4th quarter offense. They played to not lose.

Quote:I wasn't mad about the defense in the 4th quarter. Luck was going to make his comeback because that's what he does. I was more angry with the 4th quarter offense. They played to not lose.

Which begs the question: Who was responsible for that? Marrone has already said he's a "greedy" coach. That quarter was not indicative of someone who wanted to put their boot on their opponents throat. So was that Hackett's doing or Marrone's, I wonder...
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Just a bit of perspective on Wash's "defense giving up a lead late in games." 

This 2016 Jags team only led in the fourth quarter of 7 games.  In two of those the defense allowed less than 20 points. I'd say they did their damn job in those two games. So you are left with five games in which the Jags held a lead at some point during the second half. 

Also - In three of those 5 games during which the Jags had the lead during the second half, that lead was only by 4 points or less.  

They really only blew a lead of any actual significance twice. 

I still have my gripes with Wash's defense and think better play calling may have helped them scrape out a win or two more, but they weren't out there blowing leads all season. 

Quote:I wasn't mad about the defense in the 4th quarter. Luck was going to make his comeback because that's what he does. I was more angry with the 4th quarter offense. They played to not lose.
Yes. It was also a factor.  Seeing the secondary and LBs back off as much as they did in that 4th quarter at times rubbed me wrong though.  

Quote:Which begs the question: Who was responsible for that? Marrone has already said he's a "greedy" coach. That quarter was not indicative of someone who wanted to put their boot on their opponents throat. So was that Hackett's doing or Marrone's, I wonder...

Doesn't matter who called it. Marrone should have corrected it. Once they saw that the Colts began to steamroll, they should of changed tactics and began playing aggressively. The buck stops with Marrone same as it did with Gus.

What I want to see

- Standard 4-3

- Fowler being moved around, attack A-gaps etc etc

- More man coverage

- More freedom to create turnovers

-Fit scheme to players we have i.e Myles Jack should be on the field as much as possible, perhaps this is the year you take Poz off on nickel and leave Telvin and Jack in, Telvin improved his coverage a good bit this year.

Quote:+ all the three and outs and lopsided T.O.P. in many games.

Has nothing to do with the fact our defense rarely got turnovers 

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

Quote:Has nothing to do with the fact our defense rarely got turnovers 

I wasn't addressing that point at all, but the lack of turnovers does point towards scheme and personnel mis-usage IMO.

It's an issue in need of attention. 

If O'halloran is correct in his assumptions of Wash's scheme changes, then I'll be content.

Quote:By keeping Wash, the Jaguars are likely to remain a 4-3 front. But keeping Wash doesn’t mean the Jaguars will continue to run Gus Bradley’s scheme. And Wash will get to hire a staff that matches his philosophies and teaching style.

<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>

<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>
<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">Among the possible changes: More split safety downfield, which will allow the cornerbacks to play tighter coverage and produce pass breakups and interceptions? A strong-side linebacker who is off the ball? More early-down blitzes?

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">Expect the Jaguars to be more aggressive in coverage under Wash – their seven interceptions were last in the NFL this year. Wash ran Bradley’s system last year; this time around, Wash will get to run his plan.

<p style="color:rgb(70,70,70);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:16px;">In the front seven, Wash needs to scrap all of the acronyms – Otto, Lotto, Leo – and devise better ways to make impact plays. And he needs to get Myles Jack on the field more. A lot more.

O'Halloran  ^

Quote:Which begs the question: Who was responsible for that? Marrone has already said he's a "greedy" coach. That quarter was not indicative of someone who wanted to put their boot on their opponents throat. So was that Hackett's doing or Marrone's, I wonder...
Both. Marrone responded to questions after the game and indicated that given that situation, his philosophy is to make the opposing team burn all three of their timeouts. That will always be his approach if presented with the same situation. That's directly from his mouth.

Now, does this mean you run straight up the gut 3 times in a row? No, I don't necessarily think so. That part of it, is Hackett's.

Quote:If O'halloran is correct in his assumptions of Wash's scheme changes, then I'll be content.

O'Halloran  ^

Hopefully it ends up working. But we will see. It could just be what he wants us and his players to hear because he spoke legit about all the points we were complaining about keeping him to defend himself. Meaning he could just be saying it to give himself another shot. But we will see

New Jersey Jaguars fan.