Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
You're the GM where are our holes?

We all know this team needs more talent to compete for the playoffs. What positions do you think are the most important for us to fill this off season? You play the GM try to fill those positions use the draft or FA. 

If you feel we need a new coaching staff who would you want?

I don't know which players will be available via FA/Draft. I also am not able to look at game tape and tell which position failed. So with my limited knowledge:

I think we need LB, CB, C, & T. We may not need CB as much if Aaron Colvin is as good as he was being bragged up during the draft. 

As for the coach, I do not think we should change the OC or HC. I would change the DC tho. Keep Jedd in place to give Blake consistency, if we let Jedd go this year and bring in someone new next year and we flop again then we will probably be getting a new HC...which would mean a new OC. That would be 3 OC's in 3 years...I think it's best to let Gus and Jedd have this year & next..if they flop let them both go. 

"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Offense, Defense, Special Teams, and coaching. Other than that, we are pretty solid.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:We all know this team needs more talent to compete for the playoffs. What positions do you think are the most important for us to fill this off season? You play the GM try to fill those positions use the draft or FA. 

If you feel we need a new coaching staff who would you want?

I don't know which players will be available via FA/Draft. I also am not able to look at game tape and tell which position failed. So with my limited knowledge:

I think we need LB, CB, C, & T. We may not need CB as much if Aaron Colvin is as good as he was being bragged up during the draft. 

As for the coach, I do not think we should change the OC or HC. I would change the DC tho. Keep Jedd in place to give Blake consistency, if we let Jedd go this year and bring in someone new next year and we flop again then we will probably be getting a new HC...which would mean a new OC. That would be 3 OC's in 3 years...I think it's best to let Gus and Jedd have this year & next..if they flop let them both go. 
I think at minimum we need 2 OL, a RB, 2 DLs, 2 LBs, and 2 DBs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think at MINIMUM the needs are:

LB

FS

OL

the rest are at least serviceable/too young to tell at this point. Those are out biggest areas of need.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 07:02 AM by roycee.)

FS & OL

I want to say coverage LB but I'll hold off on that till I see them try Telvin Smith on a TE instead of Poz.

More than anything on Defense I'd like to see more blitzes...if we bring more than they could block maybe we could get more consistent pressure and not give every QB 4 seconds in the pocket

Our secondary is atrocious. We get carved up every game. If we can make Charlie Whitehurst look like a Peyton clone, then our most glaring need is evident.

Offseason plan:

Cut Poz, Marcedes, Henne - Immediately free up additional cap space. 

Free agency - sign at least one superstar (Suh??), plus a veteran LB, FS, CB. 

Draft - go heavy on defense, pick up a TE in draft. 

I think the O-line and RB position will be ok with another year of development.  WR's are fine, IF Blackmon comes back then this becomes the strength of the team. 

Let Shorts walk in FA - he's too injury prone.  

Dave needs to load up next season. Its far too early, and things will change with tags and draft, but I'll play along. Having a reliable TE goes a long way towards building a young QB's confidence. Lewis, for whatever he does in the running game, doesn't do that. You can already see the difference that an athletic pass receiving TE has done for this offense with Harbor being healthy, and he is at best a #2 TE. The TE FA class looks weak though other than Julius Thomas (who won't leave Denver) and Cameron (probably getting tagged by Cleveland), so I expect a draft pick either in the 2nd or 3rd round to be used on a TE.

Free Safety is a HUGE need, as both of our current safeties are more natural SS, but its also not a great FA class. This goes the way of the draft.

Our front four is pretty solid. We can use upgrades, but DE/DT are so expensive that I can't see us investing with who we already have on the team. So my next focus would be LBs...where Watson and Hayes have been below average/average and Poz should be a 2-down LB. There are some interesting possibilities, though tags could change it: Justin Houston and Orakpo. There are two guys that are in the Senderrick Marks mold that I'd go after: Ayers and Brooks Reed. Probably dip in the draft here also.

I might be tempted to go after Dela Puente at C, just in case Bowanko doesn't develop from year 1 to year 2.

We'll probably have to add a WR, since Shorts will be a free-agent and his injury concerns are well, a concern. If he comes back cheap, I'd be OK rolling with the same WR group as we have now: ARob, Hurns, Shorts, Lee, Sanders. HUGE Bonus if Blackmon finds his way.

Our running game needs work, but they can be found everywhere. Draft one.

As often the case, team's best players rarely hit FA. Other than a handful of "impact" signings, even more important I think is that Dave signs veteran depth. We can't afford next year to have an entire unit of late round/undrafted young guys if our regular starters get hurt.

1a. Running back

1b. Free safety

2. All linebacker positions

3. O-Line depth

Potential/luxury needs:

1. #1 cornerback?

2. #1 wide receiver?

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

LT - Luke sucks.

MLB - Poz still sucks too.

TE - Need somebody other than Harbor

In order of importance: FS, MLB, Center, LEO, SLB, TE

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 08:41 AM by Jinjo.)

Anyone saying running back has no clue what theyre talking about. When there are no holes it doesnt matter who the rb is theyre not going anywhere.

I have 7 that I know of.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

worst linebacking corp in football. Fix that and the Defense improves instantly. 

We have this no mans land of 10-15 yards past the line of scrimmage that opposing teams know is wide open

it's easier to look at it this way:  where do we not have holes?

QB

SS

Quote:it's easier to look at it this way: where do we not have holes?

QB

SS

I think this is pretty accurate. ...I think oline is top priority tho.

Watching Justin Durant yesterday made me wonder why we let him go. We sure could use him now.

We've discussed this ad nauseum

Quote:Our secondary is atrocious. We get carved up every game. If we can make Charlie Whitehurst look like a Peyton clone, then our most glaring need is evident.

This ^^^

Checkdown Charlie had the best game of his career yesterday, by far. 

Thats embarrassing. 

<div>I was about to start a very similar thread, so I'll just add my thoughts to this one...

A couple of games ago, most people on this forum would have said our biggest weakness was our defense.  And we were speculating that next year's draft would have to focus heavily on that area.

But after yesterdays performance against a weak Titans team, maybe we need to re-evaluate that.

We've now had two games in which the defense held the opposition to less than 20 points, which is pretty respectable and should be a recipe for victory.  

But it was the offense which failed to carry the team to victory.

And while superman was throwing for 300+ yards, the line in front of him was crumbling and our three running backs combined for just 44 rushing yards.

Maybe we need to bite the bullet and invest a high-value pick in a running back, instead of hoping we can fill the gap with free agents, seventh-round picks and converted quarterbacks.  Unless you think it is the O-line which is the problem, in which case, we might need to invest (another !) high-level pick there instead.

We certainly can't rely on Bortles to do this all by himself.

The alternative is to accept that the offense is a work-in-progress and that they won't start to come good until next season.  

And maybe our defense only performed well over the last two games because the Steelers and the Titans are two of the weaker NFL teams.  We could get another rude shock when we take on the Cowboys, the Bengals and the Colts...

</div>