Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
SI article on the Marrone/Bortles

There's a couple of quotes from anonymous NFL execs in this article who believe Bortles is fixable, as one of Blakes harshest critics last season. He looked remarkably better and more comfortable under Marrone's watch, very decisive in where he wanted to go with the football, if he cleans up his mechanics (which will improve his accuracy) I think we'll see a much improved Blake Bortles next season. 

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/10/nfl-d...m-coughlin

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Verbatim what people can read between the lines have been saying.

It's all on Bortles now. He's already killed at least three coaches. Can he get to four and the guy who drafted him too?

We will know by week 4.

Hold onto your butts, Jags fans.

I think he can be fixed.  Gus and Olson both seemed to hinder his progress.

Quote:I think he can be fixed.  Gus and Olson both seemed to hinder his progress.

You know whats mind blowing? Gus Bradley was a much worse head coach than what I thought, I already knew that he was HISTORICALLY BAD, evidenced by the incompentent play that showed up on the field week in and out, despite obvious talent on the team. But the fact that there wasn't an actual "plan" for Bortles in regards to his mechanical issues tells you everything, that coaching staff was inept in every way imaginable. It has me questioning everything now, how many other players on this roster were negatively impacted by Gus? Both on offense and defense

Have you seen my baseball?

We now have the HC and the GM working with the help/direction of a very, experienced football mind.

If this doesn't fix the Jags......I don't know what will.

Long run....I think it plays out very well.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I'm more interested to see how big of a leash Bortles will have under TC's watch.  Can't see him (and much of the organization) being patient if we get the same ole play from Bortles.  

Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

Quote:I'm more interested to see how big of a leash Bortles will have under TC's watch.  Can't see him (and much of the organization) being patient if we get the same ole play from Bortles.  

I was completely baffled as to why he was not pulled in a couple of his really bad games this year.  Obviously, the only logical answer is that the coaching staff did not think that Chad was any better than Bortles on a bad day.  I fully expect a QB to be brought in who has the ability to outplay Bad Bortles.  That way, if we get Good Bortles, we go with it, if it is Bad Bortles then he gets pulled and we move on.

Quote:You know whats mind blowing? Gus Bradley was a much worse head coach than what I thought, I already knew that he was HISTORICALLY BAD, evidenced by the incompentent play that showed up on the field week in and out, despite obvious talent on the team. But the fact that there wasn't an actual "plan" for Bortles in regards to his mechanical issues tells you everything, that coaching staff was inept in every way imaginable. It has me questioning everything now, how many other players on this roster were negatively impacted by Gus? Both on offense and defense

The Gus Conundrum will have one questioning their very existence.

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

I bet Marrone and Coughlin curtail Blake's partying too.

Quote:You know whats mind blowing? Gus Bradley was a much worse head coach than what I thought, I already knew that he was HISTORICALLY BAD, evidenced by the incompentent play that showed up on the field week in and out, despite obvious talent on the team. But the fact that there wasn't an actual "plan" for Bortles in regards to his mechanical issues tells you everything, that coaching staff was inept in every way imaginable. It has me questioning everything now, how many other players on this roster were negatively impacted by Gus? Both on offense and defense

I knew gus was bad. Olson though, I gave him too much credit for the 2015 season. I liked what he did with Josh Freeman and didn't weigh too heavily that the raiders offense finished 31st overall under him in 2014. There were definitely people on the board who didnt even give him a shot and this time, they were right. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I'm more interested to see how big of a leash Bortles will have under TC's watch.  Can't see him (and much of the organization) being patient if we get the same ole play from Bortles.  

have you ever seen eli manning play football? 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

and I bet we get a solid backup as well.....henne brings nothing to the party to warrant his multi-million dollar contract.

Especially if he can't BE the backup when bbint is having a bad go of it.....

what's the use of having a backup that can't backup?  :whistling: hmmmm

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

The fact that we are even questioning Bortles tells you all you need to know.

He's not the guy.

Quote:I was completely baffled as to why he was not pulled in a couple of his really bad games this year.  Obviously, the only logical answer is that the coaching staff did not think that Chad was any better than Bortles on a bad day.  I fully expect a QB to be brought in who has the ability to outplay Bad Bortles.  That way, if we get Good Bortles, we go with it, if it is Bad Bortles then he gets pulled and we move on.

You don't pull a young QB because you think the back up is better, you pull him to show that he needs to play better if he wants to be on the field. It's all about showing them there are consequences.

I'm not so sure that it was Marrone's influence that made Bortles' play better those last two games. Rather, I think it might be the firing of Gus that finally emphasized to Bortles how serious the consequences are if you don't perform.

Quote:The fact that we are even questioning Bortles tells you all you need to know.

He's not the guy.
People questioned Terry Bradshaw and Steve Young early in their careers also.

You can't say they didn't turn out to be the guy.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 09:07 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:The fact that we are even questioning Bortles tells you all you need to know.

He's not the guy.

Not true.

Fans questioned Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Drew Brees among others. The story remains unwritten until there is absolutely no doubt that he isn't the guy.

Wouldn't you be upset if Bortles was let go and he goes on to be the next Brees? Talk about the ultimate #becauseJaguars moment.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The Gus Conundrum will have one questioning their very existence.

Is there a football player so bad that Gus can't make him worse?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He's not the guy.

Yeah, Drew Brees's career with the Chargers is proof positive of your opinion.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He's not the guy.

Stop. Just stop. There's a reason fans don't run the front office. The experts believe he's fixable, half of our fanbase don't. If you think us fans know more than the people getting paid to evaluate NFL talent, then you're diluted.