Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did Marrone interview anywhere else?

So the Jaguars promoted within? They won how many games last year?  And this is a good move? Curious to see how much his contract his compared to the other new coaches. Would rather just have Coughlin on the field.  Boselli mentioned keeping the DC and maybe the OC....so who is else is getting canned?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it's a great move

1. Doug Marrone was highly coveted by the Saints, they reportedly interested in trading for him.

2. Reportedly, both Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick (I trust their opinion's over internet Joes) recommended Marrone to Shad

3. Doug Marrone turned around an awful Syracuse program in his 2 years there

4. Doug Marrone won 9 games with ​EJ Manuel & Kyle Orton ​as his QB's in Buffalo

5. Former Redskins & Texans GM (Charley Casserly) loves the Marrone hiring, he has 30+ years in this business; much like Belichick and Coughlin, I trust his opinion over internet Joes

6. This Jaguars offense looked DRASTICALLY different under Marrone, particularly the QB. I loved how Marrone moved Allen Robinson around the formation to get him matched up on inferior defensive backs, this is a sign of proactive GOOD coaching.

7. Marrone reportedly kicked a player (who was late to a meeting) out of the room and locked the door, he's the opposite of Gus in that regard, this team needs a disciplinarian.

The fact of the matter is contrary to the message board and internet experts, Doug Marrone is a good head coach. He might not be the sexiest hiring but neither was Mike Murlarkey ​when the Titans decided to remove his "intern" title last year, and I think Doug is a much better coach than Murlarkey, evidenced by the beat-down the Jags gave the Titans in week 16. What else do fans need to see? The guy is clearly coveted around the league and has an impressive resume to boot, I don't see the problem with the Marrone hiring.

The Saints would not have traded for him.  The Saints would have traded Sean Payton and then tried to promote Marone at the time.

I think there are positives to the Marone hiring.  It's a wait and see game.  There are way too many people that are too high and too low on the signing.

Anything is better than what we had.  Anything will be a major upgrade from last year.

Quote:The Saints would not have traded for him.  The Saints would have traded Sean Payton and then tried to promote Marone at the time.

I think there are positives to the Marone hiring.  It's a wait and see game.  There are way too many people that are too high and too low on the signing.

Regardless, the Saints are obviously high on the guy, that's the point. You mentioned "at the time" as it was in the distant past, the Saints were interested in bringing back Marrone this year per this report http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/201...arron.html

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM by BassX97.)

Quote:I think it's a great move

1. Doug Marrone was highly coveted by the Saints, they reportedly interested in trading for him.

2. Reportedly, both Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick (I trust their opinion's over internet Joes) recommended Marrone to Shad

4. Doug Marrone won 9 games with ​EJ Manuel & Kyle Orton ​as his QB's in Buffalo

5. Former Redskins & Texans GM (Charley Casserly) loves the Marrone hiring, he has 30+ years in this business; much like Belichick and Coughlin, I trust his opinion over internet Joes

6. This Jaguars offense looked DRASTICALLY different under Marrone, particularly the QB. I loved how Marrone moved Allen Robinson around the formation to get him matched up on inferior defensive backs, this is a sign of proactive GOOD coaching.

7. Marrone reportedly kicked a player (who was late to a meeting) out of the room and locked the door, he's the opposite of Gus in that regard, this team needs a disciplinarian.

The fact of the matter is contrary to the message board and internet experts, Doug Marrone is a good head coach. He might not be the sexiest hiring but neither was Mike Murlarkey ​when the Titans decided to remove his "intern" title last year, and I think Doug is a much better coach than Murlarkey, evidenced by the beat-down the Jags gave the Titans in week 16. What else do fans need to see? The guy is clearly coveted around the league and has an impressive resume to boot, I don't see the problem with the Marrone hiring.

This guy hit nearly every point as to why Marrone is an amazing choice as HC. I absolutely LOVE the way he coaches with greed and he even admitted to it. No more are the days where we get a lead and release the pedal. He wants to be up by 2 TD's at all times before going into protect/run mode. This is THE way to coach and I am excited for the future. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

All this bellyaching will be quieted when Marrone begins getting this team to win. I'm excited.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 01:07 PM by UCF Knight.)

Your point was wrong and I corrected it, that's it.  "At the time" referenced when he was the offensive line/asst head coach and they could have simply hired him and not had to do any sort of trade.  I never said they weren't interested, I corrected your misinformation.

With that said, I think the hire is good.  I was ok with him or Mike Smith and think he will do fine.  At this point it's a waiting game and hope the pieces fall in place.

Very well put. I remember one drunk Sunday Saturday afternoon, I thought to start a thread titled "The Mularkey Effect",  picturing our team hiring Marrone from within.  Evidenced by points above, we would have similar but greater success with this hire from within.

You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Quote:This guy hit nearly every point as to why Marrone is an amazing choice as HC. I absolutely LOVE the way he coaches with greed and he even admitted to it. No more are the days where we get a lead and release the pedal. He wants to be up by 2 TD's at all times before going into protect/run mode. This is THE way to coach and I am excited for the future.

What happened in the Colts game then? Cause he totally let up at the end of that game and played not to lose.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Quote:All this bellyaching will be quieted when Marrone begins getting this team to win. I'm excited.

I'll gladly be one of the first to admit I'm wrong if he pulls this team out of the ashes.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

I think point #2 is total bunk...

But I've confirmed the other points made here, and they certainly do paint a rosy picture.  One of hope...

I checked and Hackett was the OC under Marrone while in Buffalo.

So just be prepared to see pretty much the entire coaching staff be retained.  Oh, except our WR's coach...  Who was probably the best position coach on the team, includeing Marrone.  Remember that Marrone was the O-Line coach...  And the O-Line while serviceable for the season were quite a letdown this year...  

I was against bringing back Marrone just for the fact that I knew he would keep the D coaching staff and it sounded like a lot of  players were not happy in their roles. 

Now that we have Coughlin over seeing roster moves I have hope. I hope he's Brining in JPP who is headed to FA. I can see Fowler moving to LB were he wants to play standing up and move Jack to SS were we can all see he has the talent to play there. Just moving guys around a little bit I think changes the whole dynamic of how the D will play. Marrone has the skills to run the Offence and to make things happen. So again Coughlin hire Makes me like the choice.

Quote:I think point #2 is total bunk...

But I've confirmed the other points made here, and they certainly do paint a rosy picture.  One of hope...

So just be prepared to see pretty much the entire coaching staff be retained.  Oh, except our WR's coach...  Who was probably the best position coach on the team, includeing Marrone.  Remember that Marrone was the O-Line coach...  And the O-Line while serviceable for the season were quite a letdown this year...  

ive seen endorsements of marrone from BB and coughlin as far back as when he was interviewing with the jets after he cut ties with buffalo.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I think point #2 is total bunk...

In regards to the o-line, I think they actually performed above expectations this, especially in pass pro, and when Greg Olsen was canned we started to run the ball better too. I think the o-line (while certainly upgradeable) was far from an issue this year, which Imo is a credit to coaching. We need to upgrade the LG & RT (hopefully with a guy like Kevin Zeitler & Rick Wagner) in free agency and draft another Guard to push AJ Cann, who was a big disappointment last year in the run game. Outside of Kelvin Beachum (who performed well despite coming back from an ACL) & Brandon Linder, I'm not sure how much "talent" is on this line.

As far as the topic of this thread...  who really cares?  What does it prove or mean?

It's quite possible that the decision/deal made to hire him happened long before the announcement.  If that's the case there is no reason for him to interview with any other team.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

So the ceiling for Marrone is Mularkey or Jason Garrett? Yup, let that sink in.

Quote:As far as the topic of this thread...  who really cares?  What does it prove or mean?

It's quite possible that the decision/deal made to hire him happened long before the announcement.  If that's the case there is no reason for him to interview with any other team.

It means what other teams wanted to interview Marrone to be their HC. Looks like nobody did. I guess that Search Firm they hired was to help hide that they wanted Marrone  above anybody else.

Quote:Anything is better than what we had.  Anything will be a major upgrade from last year.
Can't be an upgrade when nothing changes. Same coaches doing thes same things and expecting different results ........... I think there is a definition for that somewhere.

It's not the same HC...that does make a difference.

Have you seen my baseball?