Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The geography of NFL fandom

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2014, 11:39 AM by Byron LeftTown.)

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ar...om/379729/

Interesting map goes county by county, showing the most popular NFL team in that county.

The most interesting for Jaguar fans is the strong showing in South Carolina.

Also interesting is that there are 0 counties in America that favor the NY Jets most.

[Image: fb6476ce6.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've seen this map and I think thats Steelers yellow in SC.

If the Jags can win with Bortles, don't be surprised if those blue/aqua counties turn gold in the next few years.
;

;

There was a similar measuring survey 2 or 3 seasons ago.   In that survey,  the Steelers were the most popular team by a significant portion of fans in South Carolina.   With all due respect to the Jaguars fan base,  my guess is that's the same today.   The people putting together the survey should have used different colors to differentiate the two teams this time around.

Interesting to see the Raiders still rule in LA.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I liked how the Cardinals have every county in Arizona but that was it ha

I think you guys may be right.  The gold area in South Carolina looks more like the Steeler color.  But the authors of the article likely made the same mistake:  "Though none of these borders are quite as patchwork as the Jaguars fans tucked between Georgia’s Falcons and Panthers country:". - so they seem to think the S Car areas are for Jags.

Why is Alachua County aqua? I have seen no Dolphins fans in almost three years here. 

That map shows that SF has more fans in neighboring Oakland then do the Raiders.  I don't buy that.

Yes, the gold in SC is definitely the Steelers -- big fan base and sports bars throughout the regions of SC.

I can't tell which team Hawaii likes. Can anyone read that?

Quote:I've seen this map and I think thats Steelers yellow in SC.

If the Jags can win with Bortles, don't be surprised if those blue/aqua counties turn gold in the next few years.
Yea it is steelers. That is where Cowher is from.

Pretty neat little map. I no doubt live in 9er land tho... We do have a good chunk of Packer fans as I live in Aaron Rodgers home town/area

Quote:Pretty neat little map. I no doubt live in 49er land though... We do have a good chunk of Packer fans as I live in Aaron Rodgers home town/area.

Packers fans are everywhere. The team has a great following at road games.

Where did Aaron Rodgers grow up?

Quote:I can't tell which team Hawaii likes. Can anyone read that?

Probably the 49ers,  based on geography and historical popularity of the 49ers in Hawaii.

Quote:Probably the 49ers,  based on geography and historical popularity of the 49ers in Hawaii.

You would think the state had mostly Chargers fans because of location and Manti Te'o.

Quote:You would think the state had mostly Chargers fans because of location and Manti Te'o.

San Francisco has a relatively similar location,  from the standpoint of where Hawaii is located.  

I'm sure that there are many people from Hawaii that root for the Chargers because of Manti Te'o.   Yet,  the 49ers became very popular in Hawaii as a result of their 5 Super Bowl wins.    With the 49ers being major Super Bowl contenders the last few seasons,  my guess is they are the most popular team in Hawaii by a sizable margin.   The Chargers could be # 2 on the list,  though all of the West Coast teams probably have large fan bases in Hawaii. 

We need to gain the Panama City and Tallahassee areas. Cowboys fans are like a virus they're everywhere

Quote:You would think the state had mostly Chargers fans because of location and Manti Te'o.

Even Hawaiians dont want to claim Te'o.

the article states that the yellow is for the jags.  if cant read the map click on it to enlarge

And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free.

Quote:Even Hawaiians don't want to claim Te'o.

Why not? He is one of very few Hawaiian natives in the NFL.

I would at least expect people on Kaua'i to like him.

Quote:The article states that the yellow is for the Jags.  if cant read the map click on it to enlarge.

I did enlarge it and still can't read the name on Hawaii's Big Island.

It looked to me like the yellow in South Carolina is not exactly the same as the yellow in northeast Florida.