Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles the only thing holding us back

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 04:29 AM by haveaseat.)

Top 5 defense.

Pro bowl WR and TEs. Marqise Lee broke out this year himself. 

Good enough pass protection.

What's the argument AGAINST drafting a QB early? A legit argument. It seriously seems like everything else within the roster is solid but QB. Good QBs make more with less and we couldn't make more with much.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wish everyone would shut up about being a top 5 defense. If you can't see that we are a middle of the pack defense right now (stats aside) you're delusional

Quote:I wish everyone would shut up about being a top 5 defense. If you can't see that we are a middle of the pack defense right now (stats aside) you're delusional

To the OPs point, 16 INTs will hurt a defense.

Quote:Pro bowl WRs and TEs.

I'm far from certain Julius Thomas is going to be on the Jaguars roster for the 2017 season. 

Quote:I wish everyone would shut up about being a top 5 defense. If you can't see that we are a middle of the pack defense right now (stats aside) you're delusional

You realize how much the defense was responsible to keep us in EVERY game this year?

Quote:You realize how much the defense was responsible to keep us in EVERY game this year?

Look how teams played against us when they had a lead vs how they played when losing.

When they're up, they play very vanilla because they know our offense is gonna blow the game for us. Anytime a team is dowin and needs a score they almost always do it. When an offense has a sense of urgency against us our defense crumbles. The talent is there but we were too young last year. It can be top 5 but with our lack of pass rush and turnovers we aren't there yet

Quote:Top 5 defense.

Pro bowl WR and TEs.

Good pass protection.

What's the argument AGAINST drafting a QB early? Good QBs make more with less and we couldn't make more with much.
Julius is a constant source of disappointment, we have issues on the o-line, we went 9 games without an interception, we have issues on pass rushing, A-Rob doesn't exactly smell like daisies either--it wasnt all BBINT's fault. The argument against reaching for yet another QB we shouldnt is that the roster has plenty of other positions of opportunity and we can address QB once there is a good one to be had.

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:Look how teams played against us when they had a lead vs how they played when losing.

When they're up, they play very vanilla because they know our offense is gonna blow the game for us. Anytime a team is dowin and needs a score they almost always do it. When an offense has a sense of urgency against us our defense crumbles. The talent is there but we were too young last year. It can be top 5 but with our lack of pass rush and turnovers we aren't there yet

That is just simply untrue. Our defense has made many crucial 3rd down and 4 down goal line stops. Our defense was the only thing giving us a heartbeat this year and they were gassed out doing it. The offense struggled to ever get any momentum with Blake. 

Quote:Julius is a constant source of disappointment, we have issues on the o-line, we went 9 games without an interception, we have issues on pass rushing, A-Rob doesn't exactly smell like daisies either--it wasnt all BBINT's fault. The argument against reaching for yet another QB we shouldnt is that the roster has plenty of other positions of opportunity and we can address QB once there is a good one to be had.

Pass rush isn't an issue. You will struggle to find a defensive player to give you a rookie year like Ngakoue or Bosa in their first year. Pass rushers need time and Ngakoue is ahead of schedule. QB is the most important position in football. 

Quote:Pass rush isn't an issue. You will struggle to find a defensive player to give you a rookie year like Ngakoue or Bosa in their first year. Pass rushers need time and Ngakoue is ahead of schedule. QB is the most important position in football. 
Absolutely QB is the most important position, but you guys really need to stop acting like there wasn't 10 other players out there on the field with him.

Bortles shoulders plenty of blame this season, but he's far from the only reason this Offense took a big step backwards this year.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 03:56 AM by JagFanatic24.)

Quote:Top 5 defense.

Pro bowl WR and TEs. Marqise Lee broke out this year himself.

Good enough pass protection.

What's the argument AGAINST drafting a QB early? It seriously seems like everything else within the roster is solid but QB. Good QBs make more with less and we couldn't make more with much.
I totally agree with everything you said. I would hop on Watson so fast if he's there at 4.

Top 5 defenses get turnovers. You know what wins games, turnovers.

Blake might throw a pick a game vut between his picks, ivory fumbles, punt muffs, let forget about all them and just blame the QB. Was he good enough to win games yes, was he good enough to lead the team back to win no.

Good defense teams create turnovers. Look at Den, KC, almost every game they have 1-3 turnovers and a defense score.

If we can start getting some of those. Those games we lost by 5 or 6 we win.

Bortles is putting in the effort to try and fix his 2016 issues and if he doesnt look the part im sure Marrone/Coughlin/caldwell will have a plan B in place not named Henne.
Jags 4 Life

Quote:Pass rush isn't an issue. You will struggle to find a defensive player to give you a rookie year like Ngakoue or Bosa in their first year. Pass rushers need time and Ngakoue is ahead of schedule. QB is the most important position in football. 
One player does not a pass rush make. We were 23rd in sacks overall. According to PFF, of the 17 teams that run primarily 4-3 defenses, our D-line was 15th in pass rushing efficiency. We were just not that disruptive. Ngokwoue is a stud but DFJ was a dud. Clearly 15/17 = pass rushing is an issue. 

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:Marqise Lee broke out this year himself.

Everything except this. Lee had 851 yards and 3 Tds. He didn't score his first TD until week 10 against Detroit. He also went over 100 yards in only 2 games.

I guess it's a breakout for him but these are Mike Thomas type numbers.

OP Which QB would you have us reach for this year? None of them are projected top 5 picks. Just cause you draft them high doesn't mean they will pan out at all (see BBINT and Gabbert). 

I'd say Houston's QB position is as much a disaster as our yet their team won the division and playoff game. So if our QBs are both terrible, why are they in the divisional round and we are 3-13 lined up for a top 5 pick again? Maybe it's because the rest our team doesn't stack up against what they have? They have a defense that forces turnovers and rushes the passer well (they are the #1 3-4 D line in football---without Watt even). That is the difference. 

When you go 9 games without an INT, either your corners are pretty bad or you have low pressure on the QB. Take your pick--we know the Jags will not.

I really don't think you watch the games. Our pass rush is clearly an issue. Every now and then we get a sack, but it's clear there is not consistent pressure on the qb.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 04:31 AM by haveaseat.)

Quote:One player does not a pass rush make. We were 23rd in sacks overall. According to PFF, of the 17 teams that run primarily 4-3 defenses, our D-line was 15th in pass rushing efficiency. We were just not that disruptive. Ngokwoue is a stud but DFJ was a dud. Clearly 15/17 = pass rushing is an issue. 

That is a youth issue. Ngakoue, Fowler, Ramsey, Jack all playing for the first time. Gipson in a new system. Prince in a new system. It takes time to gel and being a top 5 defense is impressive considering.

What's the QB excuse? A rookie? Oh wait..

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 04:30 AM by haveaseat.)

Quote:Top 5 defenses get turnovers. You know what wins games, turnovers.

You know what loses games? Turnovers. And our QB led the league in it. 

I swear sometimes it's like reading the excuses for Gabbert on here. 

Quote:That is a youth issue. Ngakoue, Fowler, Ramsey, Jack all playing for the first time. Gipson in a new system. Prince in a new system. It takes time to gel and being a top 5 defense is impressive considering.

What's the QB excuse? 
You aren't offering any solutions. There are no top 5 pick QBs in this draft so from where is this person even coming from?

This top 5 defensive stat that keeps getting thrown around these boards is pretty deceptive. It didn't give up a lot of yards (there are a lot of factors that go into that) but it simply did not force turnovers or make plays. 

Again, I will ask, what is the difference between Houston who won the division and Jax? Both offenses were anemic and headed by interception throwing QBs. If you think Jax is a top 5 defense, they are far far removed from Houston.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 04:35 AM by Samjag904.)

Quote:You know what loses games? Turnovers. And our QB led the league in it. 

I swear sometimes it's like reading the excuses for Gabbert on here. 
No he didn't. He was 6th in the NFL in INTs, behind OSWEILLER who is in the divisional round of the playoffs. Rivers tossed 21 to Bortles 16. 

Do you even keep up with the Jaguars or are you just here to troll?

I get it, BBINT is terrible, fine. Who would you draft in the top 5? I don't see anyone worth that pick.