Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles the only thing holding us back

Quote:Tendonitis, separated shoulder, having his head bashed on like a snare drum without a single call from the zebras, or the ridiculous, zany ints like the two that bounced off of the foot of the receiver.

There are a lot of factors. Blake may be no good. Blake may turn out to be just fine as well.

This is the one thing that gives him the benefit of the doubt for me even though it's authenticity raises questions like why you wouldn't put this on the injury report or still play a guy in this situation. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:We will never be great with Bortles as our QB. He isn't consistent, isn't accurate, terrible mechanics, and is a huge crybaby on the field. Not a leader, not a winner. If Deshaun Watson is sitting there at 4, we would be dumb to pass him up.
Plenty of not great QBs making the playoffs lately. I'm firmly in the draft the best available player camp. I like Watson as a college QB but that frame of his 6'2" 209---reminds me a lot of rg3. He's not accustomed to playing under center in a pro style offense, already 1 torn ACL, and the accuracy looks a bit suspect, lots of high balls, mechanics are an issue here. I think the pattern of QB needy teams reaching to draft qbs early will continue though, I just hope we don't do that this year. 

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Lack of run game a big factor too. Addressing O-Line concerns in the run game is a major consideration early in this draft, especially if TC,Marrone and Caldwell are all on the "salvage Bortles" train together.   

I actually want competition for Blake, but I don't know if need meets value in the first round for this QB class. I'd be happy with a third or fourth round QB pick. 

Quote:Plenty of not great QBs making the playoffs lately. I'm firmly in the draft the best available player camp. I like Watson as a college QB but that frame of his 6'2" 209---reminds me a lot of rg3. He's not accustomed to playing under center in a pro style offense, already 1 torn ACL, and the accuracy looks a bit suspect, lots of high balls, mechanics are an issue here. I think the pattern of QB needy teams reaching to draft qbs early will continue though, I just hope we don't do that this year.

We will never go anywhere unless we have a QB. We don't have one right now. We lost alot of close games this year. Bortles boneheaded mistakes cost us wins way too often. He is a loser QB. Deshaun Watson is a WINNER.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:I totally agree with everything you said. I would hop on Watson so fast if he's there at 4.
Please God let this happen

We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

It's such a shame that we tanked a year too early for Jameis and ended up with Bortles.

Just like how we tanked a year too early for Luck and ended up with Gabbert.

Just like how we tanked a year too early for Eli/Rivers/Ben and ended up with Leftwich.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Yeah... lots of QBs could succeed with our pedestrian running game.
Only a chump boos the home team!

I do not believe in Bortles. He lacks the basic fundamental attributes required to play QB. I hope we can get someone better to replace him, otherwise mediocrity is the the ceiling for this team while he is in control of the offense.

I'll never be more happy to eat my plate of crow if the opposite happens, in fact i'll ask for seconds with a smile on my face. But I think i'm gonna be going hungry....

Quote:Please God let this happen

Yes please let it. Because we would embarrass the Titans twice a year. With Bortles we won't beat anybody.

Quote:This is the one thing that gives him the benefit of the doubt for me even though it's authenticity raises questions like why you wouldn't put this on the injury report or still play a guy in this situation. 

It doesn't explain away his poor performance before the injury. That's explained by two things; he wasn't actually as good as some people gave him credit for last year, and he regressed this year. He's still young, and he still seems to want to improve, so hopefully he will. He was drafted on his potential, not his current level of performance, and as long as there's still a belief in that potential he needs to be on the team - though with increasingly real competition.

I'm not against bringing in competition but there's no surefire can't miss prospect at quarterback in the first round. BAP please

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM by Jags.)

Reading the OP about the Pro Bowl war and TE made me remember we were hoping Blake would be an ALT if other QBs opted not to go since he had that good year. I also remember it came out shortly after that Bortles had a hand or wrist injury and would not be going even if asked. Now after this season we hear about the separated shoulder and his hand/wrist again. Is this injury something that's going to linger and Blake will suck again next year??

Quote:We will never go anywhere unless we have a QB. We don't have one right now. We lost alot of close games this year. Bortles boneheaded mistakes cost us wins way too often. He is a loser QB. Deshaun Watson is a WINNER.
qbwinz

Quote:Pass rush isn't an issue. You will struggle to find a defensive player to give you a rookie year like Ngakoue or Bosa in their first year. Pass rushers need time and Ngakoue is ahead of schedule. QB is the most important position in football. 
 Pass rush isn't an issue? Dumbest comment in this thread.

Quote: Pass rush isn't an issue? Dumbest comment in this thread.

Malik Jackson is dominant at his role. Abry Jones has been great taking in the double teams. You have a 3rd round rookie who set a franchise record in sacks and they aren't giving up on Fowler yet. What do you want to do? Pass rushers aren't elite after one season. It takes time.

What do Monday’s events mean for quarterback Blake Bortles?

As long as general manager Dave Caldwell is in the building, even though his power has diminished greatly, Bortles will be afforded a chance.

It didn’t take a genius to read the tea leaves during the final week of the season, when Marrone praised Bortles’ toughness – mental and physical – during a post-practice press conference, that Marrone knew No. 5 would be a part of the plan.

"It would be surprising if the Jaguars don’t pick up Bortles’ fifth-year option (they have until a few days after the draft), which will protect them financially. If Bortles breaks out in 2017, they’ll get him at a bargain price in 2018; if he flames out, they can cut him and not have any dead money on the cap."

The Jaguars need to create a competitive environment for Bortles, though, and the best way to do that is a Day 2 or 3 draft pick (rounds 2-7). Draft a passer to push Bortles hoping he responds to the challenge and wins the job and isn’t handed the job.

Didn't know picking up the option would benefit us and choose nothing against the cap in terms of dead money

Quote:Malik Jackson is dominant at his role. Abry Jones has been great taking in the double teams. You have a 3rd round rookie who set a franchise record in sacks and they aren't giving up on Fowler yet. What do you want to do? Pass rushers aren't elite after one season. It takes time.
k

Quote:6 of his INTs this year were caused by the WRs. 3 by Arob, 2 by Lee and 1 by Hurns.

You need to get a grip and go outside for once, or something.

You idiots have been repeating yourselves for months now about Bortles.

Do you literally have nothing better to do then repeat the same stupid crap every other week?

Which two were caused by Lee again? Are you talking about those crossing patterns where Blake threw behind Lee? If so, that's not on Lee my friend.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Which two were caused by Lee again? Are you talking about those crossing patterns where Blake threw behind Lee? If so, that's not on Lee my friend.

While not on Lee, it's still a bit of an extenuating circumstance when a ball bounces the same way twice imo.
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I wish everyone would shut up about being a top 5 defense. If you can't see that we are a middle of the pack defense right now (stats aside) you're delusional
This...No pass rush, can't create turnovers and gives up way too many points in the second half when the game matters.  People way overrate this defense.