Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fisch and Babich

Let me also add I like the way some of the plays Fisch has in his playbook are designed.

For example.  I think his approach to rollout/bootleg passes is a novel one in that he has the TE often just sit down in the soft spot of the zone as the bootleg action spreads the defense, as opposed to bringing the TE all the way to the boundary play side like most of the bootleg passes I've seen at the NFL level.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Let me also add I like the way some of the plays Fisch has in his playbook are designed.

For example.  I think his approach to rollout/bootleg passes is a novel one in that he has the TE often just sit down in the soft spot of the zone as the bootleg action spreads the defense, as opposed to bringing the TE all the way to the boundary play side like most of the bootleg passes I've seen at the NFL level.

I like the boot play too. Unfortunately, to keep them honest we have to continue to run that dreadful zone stretch to the back side which has probably netted us about 4 yards all season.

Quote:I like the boot play too. Unfortunately, to keep them honest we have to continue to run that dreadful zone stretch to the back side which has probably netted us about 4 yards all season.
Good point.

Hopefully that will improve as the guys get more experience.

The thing is, for this defense to work, we need the proper personnel. If you consider Poz flailing around in coverage and people like Winston Guy and Josh Evans as ideal centerfielders for the deep 1/3, then I don't know what to tell you. I will say, however, that it is frustrating that they haven't at least tried to change up the cover 3 scheme and play more man or cover 2. Something different that might help our poor personnel. I know Gus fears playing cover 2 because we have struggled to stop the run in the past, but something has to change if they keep chewing us up in the air.

Quote:Thats misleading. Pitt was about to score again when the clock ran out.

If the Jags can't limit Checkdown Charlie & company this week, then we'll see that last week was a fluke.

But they didn't. Jags made a play. Can't discount that. And even if they got a td or field goal we are talking 13-17 points and that's without getting any help from the offense. They played better, held Antonio Brown in check and didn't give up the big play. That's a pretty big improvement.

Quote:Good point.

Hopefully that will improve as the guys get more experience.

Agreed. I also think changing up the RB spot would be helpful. Someone like Storm or Denard with a little more burst might be able to get more yardage than Toby, who is often facing a swarm of defenders by the time he finally gets to the edge.

Quote:But they didn't. Jags made a play. Can't discount that. And even if they got a td or field goal we are talking 13-17 points and that's without getting any help from the offense. They played better, held Antonio Brown in check and didn't give up the big play. That's a pretty big improvement.

I also agree with this. Defense has been more of an issue with injuries and the offense not being able to help, in my opinion.

I also said before, maybe Gus is taking a hands off approach and letting babich handle his responsibility.... We don't know.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

"Let's analyze what's been workin for us..... NOT A GD THING!"

Quote:But they didn't. Jags made a play. Can't discount that. And even if they got a td or field goal we are talking 13-17 points and that's without getting any help from the offense. They played better, held Antonio Brown in check and didn't give up the big play. That's a pretty big improvement.

McCray pretty much was the main reason Brown was held in check. 

The man should be starting every week and Gratz should be fired. 

Quote:Agreed. I also think changing up the RB spot would be helpful. Someone like Storm or Denard with a little more burst might be able to get more yardage than Toby, who is often facing a swarm of defenders by the time he finally gets to the edge.
Yep.

I think Gerhart can be a productive back.

But not on that stretch play.  Not right now.

Quote:The thing is, for this defense to work, we need the proper personnel. If you consider Poz flailing around in coverage and people like Winston Guy and Josh Evans as ideal centerfielders for the deep 1/3, then I don't know what to tell you. I will say, however, that it is frustrating that they haven't at least tried to change up the cover 3 scheme and play more man or cover 2. Something different that might help our poor personnel. I know Gus fears playing cover 2 because we have struggled to stop the run in the past, but something has to change if they keep chewing us up in the air.

If this defense takes pro bowl level players at every position for it to work, then the system isn't worth it. 

Dallas Cowboys defensive personnel in 1990 were a bunch of no names who managed to field at least a respectable, improving defense in Jimmy Johnson's second year. They only gave up around 300 points. Gus' bunch is on track to give up over 400 for the second straight year. 

Quote:Thats misleading. Pitt was about to score again when the clock ran out. 

If the Jags can't limit Checkdown Charlie & company this week, then we'll see that last week was a fluke. 

LOL. Clipboard Jesus had a 9.2 YPA avg last week and threw a 75 yard strike for a TD. (ball travelled 35 yds in the air on that one)

You'll have to find a new angle to "pre-bash" with.  

Quote:LOL. Clipboard Jesus had a 9.2 YPA avg last week and threw a 75 yard strike for a TD. (ball travelled 35 yds in the air on that one)

Ah, I see you're starting already with your angle that Charlie Whitehurst isn't really all that bad for when he shreds our defense. 

They don't call him Checkdown Charlie for nothing. 

we are going to end up making Whitehurst look like a pro bowler.  Just watch.

Quote:LOL. Clipboard Jesus had a 9.2 YPA avg last week and threw a 75 yard strike for a TD. (ball travelled 35 yds in the air on that one)

He's planting the old "but that is what they are supposed to do" flag in the event the team plays well. Therefore taking away credit from Bradley.

Quote:we are going to end up making Whitehurst look like a pro bowler.  Just watch.

Yep, and then the angle by some on here will be that Whitehurst really isn't that bad. Gotta pwotect the Jagwaw coaches/ players.... 

<puke>

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 04:40 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:He's planting the old "but that is what they are supposed to do" flag in the event the team plays well. Therefore taking away credit from Bradley.

Uhh, it IS what they are supposed to do. The Titans offense is not one that should be putting up big numbers every week, especially with Checkdown Charlie Whitehurst. 

Quote:If this defense takes pro bowl level players at every position for it to work, then the system isn't worth it. 

Dallas Cowboys defensive personnel in 1990 were a bunch of no names who managed to field at least a respectable, improving defense in Jimmy Johnson's second year. They only gave up around 300 points. Gus' bunch is on track to give up over 400 for the second straight year. 

Not saying it takes a bunch of Pro Bowlers, but it does require at least 1 or 2 playing at that level if you're going to be top tier. As of right now, our D doesn't have any difference makers. I think that's something you and I agree with. The notion that Cyprien is a stud safety to me is ridiculous. He's average at best. Poz has been awful this year, as have the rest of the linebackers, and largely, the rest of the secondary (maybe with the exception of McCray based on one game).

Quote:Ah, I see you're starting already with your angle that Charlie Whitehurst isn't really all that bad for when he shreds our defense. 

They don't call him Checkdown Charlie for nothing. 
No - I'm just laughing at you already deciding that the Jags won't stop him -  and informing your ignorance on how he played on Sunday.  I don't have any angle on Whitehurst.  I think our secondary is going to give up a few big plays against anyone until a few positions are upgraded or a shift in scheme is employed. 

According to the play-byplay at NFL.com he made 8 deep pass attempts. 

Quote:No - I'm just laughing at you already deciding that the Jags won't stop him -  and informing your ignorance on how he played on Sunday.  I don't have any angle on Whitehurst.  I think our secondary is going to give up a few big plays against anyone until a few positions are upgraded or a shift in scheme is employed. 

According to the play-byplay at NFL.com he made 8 deep pass attempts. 

Wow thats sad.....even Checkdown Charlie Whitehurst went deep more than we did last week.....and we have a QB that actually is adept at it. SMH @ Fisch-sticks.