Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fisch and Babich

8 deep passes?  wow, yup, we are screwed

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Marks is really the only guy on the defense who is probably top 10 at his position in the league. The d-line has quite a few guys who are probably in that "above average" category. And that's great. It's why we're one of the better pass rushing lines in the league. The rest of the D is, quite frankly, putrid.

Quote:Yep, and then the angle by some on here will be that Whitehurst really isn't that bad. Gotta pwotect the Jagwaw coaches/ players.... 

<puke>

Good god.

How old are you? No wonder you don't have a girlfriend.

Quote:Yep, and then the angle by some on here will be that Whitehurst really isn't that bad. Gotta pwotect the Jagwaw coaches/ players....

<puke>

I actually said weeks ago that charlie whitehurst isn't as bad as people think. He is actually probably a better player than locker, and if you look at last week he did play very well but I guess we'll see.

Anyway, I know this is one of those not likely to happen scenarios, but in a perfect world, I'd like to see charlie weis replace fisch.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Not saying it takes a bunch of Pro Bowlers, but it does require at least 1 or 2 playing at that level if you're going to be top tier. As of right now, our D doesn't have any difference makers. I think that's something you and I agree with. The notion that Cyprien is a stud safety to me is ridiculous. He's average at best. Poz has been awful this year, as have the rest of the linebackers, and largely, the rest of the secondary (maybe with the exception of McCray based on one game).

But I'm not asking for the defense to be playing "top tier" in year 2.....however, per the Cowboys example, in 1990, the Jags defense could at least be playing respectable, even with a defensive roster full of no names like the Cowboys had in 1990. 

Quote:Wow thats sad.....even Checkdown Charlie Whitehurst went deep more than we did last week.....and we have a QB that actually is adept at it. SMH @ Fisch-sticks. 

How many of those 8 were on the last drive when the team had 90 yards to go with a few seconds remaining? I saw the last minute and it was just Whitehurst throwing up ducks to no one in particular.

Quote:But I'm not asking for the defense to be playing "top tier" in year 2.....however, per the Cowboys example, in 1990, the Jags defense could at least be playing respectable, even with a defensive roster full of no names like the Cowboys had in 1990. 

What is this obsession with the 1990 Cowboys?

Quote:Marks is really the only guy on the defense who is probably top 10 at his position in the league. The d-line has quite a few guys who are probably in that "above average" category. And that's great. It's why we're one of the better pass rushing lines in the league. The rest of the D is, quite frankly, putrid.

Wait, I was told in the Cyprien thread that he's been playing well......now help me out....does that only count when we are aren't arguing about the lousy job the defense overall is doing or what? I need to know the conditions...

Quote:McCray pretty much was the main reason Brown was held in check.

The man should be starting every week and Gratz should be fired.

Gratz shouldn't be fired. That's ridiculous, but McCray should start obviously. No matter how you slice it Jags made big improvement on D.

Quote:What is this obsession with the 1990 Cowboys?

Its a good comparison to make as both rosters were similar level poor when Gus/ Jimmy took over. They both were very young rosters as well. 

I know you must HATE the comparison because it starts to expose Gus as a bad coach, but too bad. 

Quote:Gratz shouldn't be fired. That's ridiculous, but McCray should start obviously. No matter how you slice it Jags made big improvement on D.

Gratz has been terrible for most of the year. What has he done to earn his spot other than his draft position??

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 04:49 PM by thunderbuns.)

Quote:Its a good comparison to make as both rosters were similar level poor when Gus/ Jimmy took over. They both were very young rosters as well. 

I know you must HATE the comparison because it starts to expose Gus as a bad coach, but too bad. 

I don't care either way. Just find it funny that ever reference you make if from 25 years ago.

Maybe we could talk about movies. I mean when Honey I Shrunk the Kids came out...

Quote:But I'm not asking for the defense to be playing "top tier" in year 2.....however, per the Cowboys example, in 1990, the Jags defense could at least be playing respectable, even with a defensive roster full of no names like the Cowboys had in 1990. 

As of last week, the Jags D was at least playing "respectable". Certainly not top tier, but not awful either. I think as Bortles develops and our offense stays on the field longer, it will improve. Will it improve enough to save Babich/Bradley their jobs? I don't know. I'm certainly not going to stick my neck out and defend them at this point.

Quote:Wait, I was told in the Cyprien thread that he's been playing well......now help me out....does that only count when we are aren't arguing about the lousy job the defense overall is doing or what? I need to know the conditions...

No idea. Anyone asserting that Cyprien has been anything but average is in typical Jags-fan denial. The inflation of average players to "very good" and above average players to "Pro Bowl snubs" is typical around here.

Quote:As of last week, the Jags D was at least playing "respectable". Certainly not top tier, but not awful either. I think as Bortles develops and our offense stays on the field longer, it will improve. Will it improve enough to save Babich/Bradley their jobs? I don't know. I'm certainly not going to stick my neck out and defend them at this point.

I won't disagree......thats one week though. 

Are the Jags going to keep it up and end the season with a respectable points against total?? Or will they top 400 again?....the safe money at this point is on the over 400 points. 

The 1990 Cowboys with a bunch of no names managed a defense that gave up only roughly 300 points. Gus sucks. 

Quote:Gratz has been terrible for most of the year. What has he done to earn his spot other than his draft position??

Draft position is certainly part of it. He will probably play nickel. Let's see how he does. You don't cut a guy with his potential this early.

Quote:I won't disagree......thats one week though.

Are the Jags going to keep it up and end the season with a respectable points against total?? Or will they top 400 again?....the safe money at this point is on the over 400 points.

The 1990 Cowboys with a bunch of no names managed a defense that gave up only roughly 300 points. Gus sucks.

All that matters now is how they play from this point going forward.

Quote:Draft position is certainly part of it. He will probably play nickel. Let's see how he does. You don't cut a guy with his potential this early.

I keep hearing all this about Gratz moving to nickel... Is there any real proof behind this notion?

Quote:I keep hearing all this about Gratz moving to nickel... Is there any real proof behind this notion?

I'd move him to penny. 

Quote:I keep hearing all this about Gratz moving to nickel... Is there any real proof behind this notion?

It's assumed based on McCray starting. We shall see...