Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An NFL franchise in London a step closer?

I think if it happens it won't be a relocation would be an expansion possibly along with LA.

When people talk about how far away they are etc how can this be a problem? The Canucks face the maple leafs twice this year and that's further away, this may just be nativity on my point but if it works in hockey where there's actually more games why couldn't it work in the Nfl?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think if it happens it won't be a relocation would be an expansion possibly along with LA.

When people talk about how far away they are etc how can this be a problem? The Canucks face the maple leafs twice this year and that's further away, this may just be nativity on my point but if it works in hockey where there's actually more games why couldn't it work in the Nfl?

Any expansion would definitely have to be two teams. That said, LA gets a team WAY before London (IF London even gets one)

I think the news hits that The Rams are LA bound after the season is over.. 

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

A place to play over there is one of the smallest hurdles to a franchise over there.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I don't have any issue with basing a team in London  - except that it's a logistical nightmare in terms of travel. 

Traveling coast to coast is tough on your body. (compression/decompression) I've done it dozens of times.

Traveling across the pond is similar but worse.  ( 10+ hours from the east coast - much worse from the west) 

It's obviously do-able - but I really feel it takes a toll on your body that requires a few days to overcome on each end. 

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 02:40 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:  I don't have any issue with basing a team in London  - except that it's a logistical nightmare in terms of travel. 

Traveling coast to coast is tough on your body. (compression/decompression) I've done it dozens of times.

Traveling across the pond is similar but worse.  ( 10+ hours from the east coast - much worse from the west) 

It's obviously do-able - but I really feel it takes a toll on your body that requires a few days to overcome on each end. 

Obviously if a team moves to London, everyone will travel by the TARDIS.  It'll easily fit a football team or thirty-two in there (and all the fans, everybody in the united states, as well as everybody in the surrounding areas, and world).  Heck, we could even have the teams show up three days before they leave!

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 03:56 PM by Dockerill91.)

Quote: I don't have any issue with basing a team in London - except that it's a logistical nightmare in terms of travel.

Traveling across the pond is similar but worse. ( 10+ hours from the east coast - much worse from the west)

This is what I'm saying though, in NHL they travel Toronto to Vancouver which is longer and they seem to have no problems.

Quote:This is what I'm saying though, in NHL they travel Toronto to Vancouver which is longer and they seem to have no problems.
Huh?  Both of those cities are a stones throw from the US border. 

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM by empty.)

Quote:This is what I'm saying though, in NHL they travel Toronto to Vancouver which is longer and they seem to have no problems.

What?  A non stop flight from Vancouver to Toronto is just under 5 hours, and the time zone difference is 3 hours.

A non stop flight from New York (which would be one of the shortest) to London is over 7 hours, and the time zone difference is 5 hours.

Quote:What? A non stop flight from Vancouver to Toronto is just under 5 hours, and the time zone difference is 3 hours.

A non stop flight from New York (which would be one of the shortest) to London is over 7 hours, and the time zone difference is 5 hours.

Sorry my bad, I didn't realise it took so little to fly between those 2, as I know London is closer to toronto than Toronto is to vancouver I assumed the flight time would be similar.

Quote:I seriously doubt a franchise would flourish here longer than 2-3 years. The NFL have billed all 3 games this year as sell outs, despite only 83k turning up to the MIA @ OAK. Wembley has an capacity of 90k. At the moment, all 3 games are events more than just games. What I mean by that is fan rallies, official "tailgate" parties pre-game and bands like Def Leppard playing before the team entrances. When all this goes, the casual fans will subside. The only reason I went to MIA @ OAK is free tickets.

Quote:I think if it happens it won't be a relocation would be an expansion possibly along with LA.

Huh? A flight from Toronto to Vncouver is less than the closest Airport of the US to London. 

Quote:What?  A non stop flight from Vancouver to Toronto is just under 5 hours, and the time zone difference is 3 hours.

Ten hours from NYC to London last time I didi it. 

Like I said sorry I checked it just on distance not actual flight time, my bad Wink

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 05:24 PM by empty.)

Quote:Ten hours from NYC to London last time I didi it. 

I just googled it and the nonstop flights listed claimed that.  But either way, long plane ride.

Quote:Any expansion would definitely have to be two teams….

I've heard this floated about some.  And I'd be cool with it.  The only catch is - where does the second expansion team go?  

Is there a sustainable market somewhere?  There are some big cities around the US - but none that are obvious choices to support an NFL franchise.  

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 06:17 PM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:I've heard this floated about some.  And I'd be cool with it.  The only catch is - where does the second expansion team go?  

Is there a sustainable market somewhere?  There are some big cities around the US - but none that are obvious choices to support an NFL franchise.  

The hard part is finding an underserved region. The Panthers had that in the Carolinas, the titans with Tennessee and the Cardinals with Arizona.

The one market I wonder about is Portland. They have a sort of rivalry with Seattle so there really isn't a strong support base there for the Seahawks. Could be an untapped market, a rarity for the NFL.

Quote:I've heard this floated about some. And I'd be cool with it. The only catch is - where does the second expansion team go?

Is there a sustainable market somewhere? There are some big cities around the US - but none that are obvious choices to support an NFL franchise.

I honestly doubt London is going to get a team and I really don't see an expansion to 34 teams, mainly for the reason you stated above. I still think The Rams are back in LA after this season. Makes too much sense and St. Louis is a baseball town.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:The hard part is finding an underserved region. The Panthers had that in the Carolinas, the titans with Tennessee and the Cardinals with Arizona.

The one market I wonder about is Portland. They have a sort of rivalry with Seattle so there really isn't a strong support base there for the Seahawks. Could be an untapped market, a rarity for the NFL.

I've heard this one floated and dismissed also.  The main gripe seems to be that it's not a "football town" and whatever market analysis has been done seems to support it.  I can't speak to the credibility of that - it's just what I've heard on sports radio.  On the surface that take makes sense - but I really don't know.  I've been to Portland  briefly once and was only focused on the "artsy-fartsy" aspect of the town. 

Another consideration is that the NFL reportedly would prefer a city with a stadium in place or available to refurbish. Not sure if Portland has that. 

True. Not sure, other than L.A., that there is a US market able to support a team.

Quote:Having an NFL team in England remains the most stupid idea I've ever heard of. Not surprised that its one of Goodell's biggest agenda's.

Its the kind of idea that happens when greed supercedes common sense.

True

Quote:I've heard this floated about some. And I'd be cool with it. The only catch is - where does the second expansion team go?

Is there a sustainable market somewhere? There are some big cities around the US - but none that are obvious choices to support an NFL franchise.

Does it have to be in the States? What about Toronto?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."