Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Look at Bortles' numbers under Marrone

Against Tennessee, he had arguably the best game of his career - 20-35 325 yards, 1 TD (plus one TD reception)  103.2 passer rating.

Against the Colts, he was 25-39 for 301 yards, 1 TD Rating of 96.2

The best stat of all? ZERO INTERCEPTIONS.

Combined 51-77 for 626 yards, no INTs, and a 67.1 completion percentage.

So with Marrone, you know you can get a coach who makes Blake play better - you've got the proof.  What makes anyone think McDaniel or Shanahan (SP) could do any better.  McDaniel has Tom Brady. Shanahan has Matt Ryan. Those two QBs can make any offensive coordinator look good.  But Blake is on a different level. 

As Bullseye pointed out, there's also the issue of continuity. 

Marrone might not have been the sexiest pick, but I think he was the right one. Time will tell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Against Tennessee, he had arguably the best game of his career - 20-35 325 yards, 1 TD (plus one TD reception)  103.2 passer rating.

So with Marrone, you know you can get a coach who makes Blake play better - you've got the proof.  What makes anyone think McDaniel or Shanahan (SP) could do any better.  McDaniel has Tom Brady. Shanahan has Matt Ryan. Those two QBs can make any offensive coordinator look good.  But Blake is on a different level. 

Marrone might not have been the sexiest pick, but I think he was the right one. Time will tell.
Thing is, Marrone was able to get this level of productivity out of Bortles without Hurns, Thomas, Ivory and Yeldon.  When all three receivers are healthy in this offense, Bortles should flourish.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Exactly.  Koyak, and Walters played big roles. 

Side note - we should resign Walters. I like him as a receiver. Not so much on special teams.

Small sample size. If Marrone had a few extra games, Bortles would have thrown another pick 6 eventually.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Against Tennessee, he had arguably the best game of his career - 20-35 325 yards, 1 TD (plus one TD reception) 103.2 passer rating.

So with Marrone, you know you can get a coach who makes Blake play better - you've got the proof. What makes anyone think McDaniel or Shanahan (SP) could do any better. McDaniel has Tom Brady. Shanahan has Matt Ryan. Those two QBs can make any offensive coordinator look good. But Blake is on a different level.

I share your feelings.

I believe we're gonna be really good next year

Quote:Thing is, Marrone was able to get this level of productivity out of Bortles without Hurns, Thomas, Ivory and Yeldon. When all three receivers are healthy in this offense, Bortles should flourish.

Cmon now, Bortles and flourish shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Ivory and Yeldon need to get replaced, that's clear as day, so I'm not sure why people keep mentioning those two.

Bortles was better in the last 2 games but let's not pretend that he lit up the Colts or Titans for that matter.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 12:27 AM by diehardjagsfaninsocal.)

Quote:Thing is, Marrone was able to get this level of productivity out of Bortles without Hurns, Thomas, Ivory and Yeldon. When all three receivers are healthy in this offense, Bortles should flourish.
I agree...

As well...It's obvious Doug isn't afraid to bench a top pick or fa signing who is performing poorly. See Buffalos first year with him as HC

I hope we give our #3 and 4 tight ends a legit shot

As well as Corey Grant.

All 3 were lighting it up the last 2 games.

Quote:Cmon now, Bortles and flourish shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Ivory and Yeldon need to get replaced, that's clear as day, so I'm not sure why people keep mentioning those two.

Bortles was better in the last 2 games but let's not pretend that he lit up the Colts or Titans for that matter.
He did very well his final two weeks. If you watched the game than you saw that. Doesn't mean anything for next year ultimately as it was two games, but he looked much better once Marrone took over and will now have an offseason to work on his mechanics that caused him to struggle the most this season.

Quote:Cmon now, Bortles and flourish shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Ivory and Yeldon need to get replaced, that's clear as day, so I'm not sure why people keep mentioning those two.

Wasn't he 16-17 at one point against the Titans?

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 12:35 AM by SuperJville.)

Quote:Wasn't he 16-17 at one point against the Titans?
Yes. So? Wanna keep cherry picking?

In today's NFL, going on a little run is expected. He had a nice game. The lopsided score was the result of a trick play and defensive touchdown.. but still, he played a good solid clean game.

I could just as easily make the argument that the colts adjusted and made him completely ineffective in the 2nd half, which ultimately lead to us losing.

He was improved, yes. But it's not like he threw for 7 touchdowns in 2 games without any picks.

Oh he also had 2 fumbles
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Yes. So? Wanna keep cherry picking?

In today's NFL, going on a little run is expected.

I could just as easily make the argument that the colts adjusted and made him completely ineffective in the 2nd half, which ultimately lead to us losing.

He was improved, yes. But it's not like he threw for 7 touchdowns in 2 games without any picks.

Oh he also had 2 fumbles
In the NFL, going on a little run is expected. But not in Jacksonville. This is the same squad that had never beat a winning team under Gus Bradley. Not in four years.  And the Titans had to win the game to win the division. A Gus Bradley team would have quit. Marrone's team didn't. They jump out to a 10-0 lead, they were up by 12 points at halftime. 

In today's NFL, going on a little run is expected.

Oh he also had 2 fumbles
Yeah..he DID have two fumbles.

That needs to be corrected, not only him in not protecting the football, but the O-Line for not protecting him.

But the key is he was improved.  No he didn't throw for 7 TDs in these two games.  No he wasn't perfect.  But throwing for that many TDs was not necessary to win.  If Myers did not choke in Indy again, Bortles could have had exactly the same numbers and still beat the Colts.

Most important thing is how they consistently got AR 15 involved. Which Gus couldn't do

In today's NFL, going on a little run is expected. He had a nice game. The lopsided score was the result of a trick play and defensive touchdown.. but still, he played a good solid clean game.

Oh he also had 2 fumbles
So a couple missed FGs and the Defense letting Luck dink off 15 yard pass, after 15 yard pass, all the way down the middle of the field in 1 minute had little to do with us losing huh?

Oh wait, we're just forgetting about that stuff right?

I would like to hear the press conference and hear what the owner has to say. If he truly chose Marrone after a two game stint, it is truly baffling. 

Quote:Most important thing is how they consistently got AR 15 involved. Which Gus couldn't do

Yes, that was important.

Two games against two mediocre teams means absolutely nothing. That is really what should be concluded, but it is not. 

Quote:I would like to hear the press conference and hear what the owner has to say. If he truly chose Marrone after a two game stint, it is truly baffling. 
We don't know how Marrone was chosen. It could have been the search team that recommended him. It could have been Coughlin. At the very least, we know that Coughlin thinks enough of Marrone to work with him.

It was 1 game. LOL

Quote:So a couple missed FGs and the Defense letting Luck dink off 15 yard pass, after 15 yard pass, all the way down the middle of the field in 1 minute had little to do with us losing huh?

Oh wait, we're just forgetting about that stuff right?

No, I didn't say that did I?

The topic was Bortles.

Special teams, defense, AND offense (including Bortles) were to blame for that week 17 loss.

Just pointing out that it's not like Bortles was great. He played well in week 16, but just slightly better than his usual play in week 17, which ain't good enough.