Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Look at Bortles' numbers under Marrone

Quote:Two games against two mediocre teams means absolutely nothing. That is really what should be concluded, but it is not. 

Hey, one of those "mediocre" teams would have won the division if we hadn't beaten them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, I didn't say that did I?

The topic was Bortles.

Special teams, defense, AND offense (including Bortles) were to blame for that week 17 loss.

Just pointing out that it's not like Bortles was great. He played well in week 16, but just slightly better than his usual play in week 17, which ain't good enough.
You're the one calling out somebody else for cherry picking, while doing the same thing though.

This thread might be about Bortles, but claiming he's the reason we ultimately lost that game is comical.

If Myers doesn't miss those FGs, completely different game.

If Wash doesn't let the 8 year old ball boy call the defense in that final minute, it's likely they don't drive the ball down and score in 1 minute.

Quote:Hey, one of those "mediocre" teams would have won the division if we hadn't beaten them.
A mediocre division. The titans secondary is atrocious. The colts secondary is also atrocious. Yet, it is definitely all Marrone that made the difference? The whole sequence of events is like, mind blowing to me. Gus fired 2 hours after a game. Ownership says Gus would have been fired regardless of result. Marrone gets team two weeks. Goes 1-1. Named HC. This whole team is a C'mon Man segment. 

Quote:No, I didn't say that did I?

The topic was Bortles.

Special teams, defense, AND offense (including Bortles) were to blame for that week 17 loss.

Just pointing out that it's not like Bortles was great. He played well in week 16, but just slightly better than his usual play in week 17, which ain't good enough.
Your last sentence is simply wrong. For the season, Bortles completed 58.9% of his passes, averaging 6.3 yards. Against Indy, he had a 64.1 completion percentage, and 7.72 yards per catch. That's a big improvement.

Yeah, he plays better under Marrone because he ditched that dumb [BLEEP] offensive scheme where the only running play was a left/right side draw.

Quote:A mediocre division. The titans secondary is atrocious. The colts secondary is also atrocious. Yet, it is definitely all Marrone that made the difference? The whole sequence of events is like, mind blowing to me. Gus fired 2 hours after a game. Ownership says Gus would have been fired regardless of result. Marrone gets team two weeks. Goes 1-1. Named HC. This whole team is a C'mon Man segment. 
Fortunately, we play in that terrible division. We don't need a better record than say, the Patriots to get into the playoffs. All we need is a better record than the Texans.

What I'd like to know is...what makes you think a candidate who's never coached here could do a better job with Bortles? A new coach would want to install an entire new offense, and that's the last thing a struggling QB like Bortles needs right now.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017, 01:01 AM by jessepeck1213.)

I think Bortles benefits most with this hire. Anybody who still holds out hope for Bortles should be happy they hired Marrone. It'll let bortles spend this offseason concentrating on his mechanics and getting them back to where they are serviceable. It's a lot easier to do that when you don't have to also worry about learning an entire new system.

Quote:You're the one calling out somebody else for cherry picking, while doing the same thing though.

This thread might be about Bortles, but claiming he's the reason we ultimately lost that game is comical.

If Myers doesn't miss those FGs, completely different game.

If Wash doesn't let the 8 year old ball boy call the defense in that final minute, it's likely they don't drive the ball down and score in 1 minute.

Show me where I said he was THE reason we lost. I'll wait.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Your last sentence is simply wrong. For the season, Bortles completed 58.9% of his passes, averaging 6.3 yards. Against Indy, he had a 64.1 completion percentage, and 7.72 yards per catch. That's a big improvement.

lol not sure if serious
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Coughlin is probably laughing at this hope for Bortles as he scouts new QB's. 

Quote:Against Tennessee, he had arguably the best game of his career - 20-35 325 yards, 1 TD (plus one TD reception) 103.2 passer rating.

Against the Colts, he was 25-39 for 301 yards, 1 TD Rating of 96.2

The best stat of all? ZERO INTERCEPTIONS.

Combined 51-77 for 626 yards, no INTs, and a 67.1 completion percentage.

So with Marrone, you know you can get a coach who makes Blake play better - you've got the proof. What makes anyone think McDaniel or Shanahan (SP) could do any better. McDaniel has Tom Brady. Shanahan has Matt Ryan. Those two QBs can make any offensive coordinator look good. But Blake is on a different level.

As Bullseye pointed out, there's also the issue of continuity.

Marrone might not have been the sexiest pick, but I think he was the right one. Time will tell.

2 games is an inadequate sample size

Quote:2 games is an inadequate sample size

Fine. So why would you hire someone with no sample size?

Quote:Small sample size. If Marrone had a few extra games, Bortles would have thrown another pick 6 eventually.

Nah, Marrone would have had the offense tackling better.

Quote:Against Tennessee, he had arguably the best game of his career - 20-35 325 yards, 1 TD (plus one TD reception)  103.2 passer rating.

Against the Colts, he was 25-39 for 301 yards, 1 TD Rating of 96.2

The best stat of all? ZERO INTERCEPTIONS.

Combined 51-77 for 626 yards, no INTs, and a 67.1 completion percentage.

So with Marrone, you know you can get a coach who makes Blake play better - you've got the proof.  What makes anyone think McDaniel or Shanahan (SP) could do any better.  McDaniel has Tom Brady. Shanahan has Matt Ryan. Those two QBs can make any offensive coordinator look good.  But Blake is on a different level. 

As Bullseye pointed out, there's also the issue of continuity. 

Marrone might not have been the sexiest pick, but I think he was the right one. Time will tell.

I think it actually goes deeper than the stats.  When you look at the games it wasn't just roll outs and broken plays.  He looked decisive and played with anticipation throwing guys open.  Essentially when Gus was fired we were looking for a guy to a.) fix Blake/ Find replacement and b.) stop the delay of game on kickoff nonsense. 

Marrone did both of those.  The offense averaged 442 yards and 29 points a game under Marone/Hackett.  We also stopped the endless streak of allowing endless explosive returns on punt coverage etc. 

Quote:Fine. So why would you hire someone with no sample size?

Because they're likely not hiring him strictly off of what he did in weeks 16 and 17.