Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Has the team really not made progress? A quick look.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Taking into consideration the fact that the Jaguars are a younger team in 2014 than they were in 2013 with more rookies starting and contributing at key positions, I'd say the incremental improvement is very encouraging. 

Quote:You have the 2nd youngest roster in the league that will have a year of experience under their belt even if the team goes 4-12 this year.  That guarantees decent position in the draft, and it gives them a young core that they'll continue to build upon.  It was NEVER about wins this year, but you know that.  It just doesn't serve your agenda to admit that fact. 

The Dallas Cowboys were a younger starting group in 1992 than they were in 1991, and younger in 1991 than they were in 1990. 

Youth doesn't always have to equal "suck". Not when the coaching is quality. 

I know though.....Gus Bradley is no Jimmy Johnson. And Fisch/ Babich sure ain't no Norv Turner/ Wannstedt. 

I don't care about W-L this year as much as I care about how LOW the offensive & defensive rankings STILL remain. (31st/ 32nd) That shows that there really is no improvement going on. 

Same with the point differential/ totals. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The Dallas Cowboys were a younger starting group in 1992 than they were in 1991, and younger in 1991 than they were in 1990. 

Youth doesn't always have to equal "suck". Not when the coaching is quality. 

I know though.....Gus Bradley is no Jimmy Johnson. And Fisch/ Babich sure ain't no Norv Turner/ Wannstedt. 
Gotta dig down 20+ years to make a point.  I know you're desperate now to make your point.  Guess what?  The Cowboys of 1991 are completely irrelevant to anyone but your tiny IQ. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Gotta dig down 20+ years to make a point.  I know you're desperate now to make your point.  Guess what?  The Cowboys of 1991 are completely irrelevant to anyone but your tiny IQ. 

Its one of the closest comparisons rosterwise/ situationwise. 

Too bad that the comparison doesn't shed Gus in better light. 

Quote:Its one of the closest comparisons rosterwise/ situationwise. 

Too bad that the comparison doesn't shed Gus in better light. 

Too bad the comparison doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Gus unless you're pushing some pathetic agenda.

Completely different era of the NFL, but you keep flailing away if you think it'll make you look smart. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhrfhjLd9e4

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I love stats and appreciate the post but I'm still not getting your message.

Ok so we are slightly better offensively and much worse defensively than a team that finished 4-12 last year and picked #3 in the draft? Not sure thats something to be proud of.

Those of us in the scientific field would ask, is there a significant difference (p-value <0.05) between the two year?

No.

Quote:I love stats and appreciate the post but I'm still not getting your message.

Ok so we are slightly better offensively and much worse defensively than a team that finished 4-12 last year and picked #3 in the draft? Not sure thats something to be proud of.

Exactly. 

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 06:14 PM by huttops.)

Quote:Agreed.  Wins and losses will matter next year.

Quote:I disagree. For a young team, improving even without winning is very important. If they keep improving then the wins will come. How do you think you win? By improving as a team.

Disagree completely. The cowboys and chiefs are just as young as us, and both got younger year over year since 2012. Both had better 2013 and (so far) better 2014 seasons than us.

I'm not debating there will be growing pains. I've put up with those each regime change and bought into it. But we should NOT be so bad right now. We have stockpiled tons of high draft picks over the past few years and sadly have nothing to show until the past draft (and thats still TBD). I understand we have a new GM and I'm willing to see how these picks pan out- but the leash must be short. If not on management, then for the coaches.

We can't afford another gene smith era.

Quote:D
Really?

Quote:Really?
Check the edit

I'll chime in here.Looks like our extremely young offensive line might be getting better.This is one of the keys to the Jags  future success.

That graph is great and everything, the problem is we're comparing this year's team to last year's, which was freaking awful. We still compare poorly to the rest of the league, and that's what matters.

There has been virtually no improvement from year 1 to year 2.

And i'll ask again, NAME ONE THING THAT HAS GONE ACCORDING TO PLAN

Quote:I'll chime in here.Looks like our extremely young offensive line might be getting better.This is one of the keys to the Jags  future success.
Agreed.  There's also an extremely young receiving corps, and a secondary that is in the midst of pretty significant transition.

There's plenty of progress to note despite the lack of wins, and as the team matures, the wins will come. 

Quote:Disagree completely. The cowboys and chiefs are just as young as us, and both got younger year over year since 2012. Both had better 2013 and (so far) better 2014 seasons than us.

I'm not debating there will be growing pains. I've put up with those each regime change and bought into it. But we should NOT be so bad right now. We have stockpiled tons of high draft picks over the past few years and sadly have nothing to show until the past draft (and thats still TBD). I understand we have a new GM and I'm willing to see how these picks pan out- but the leash must be short. If not on management, then for the coaches.

We can't afford another gene smith era.

The Chiefs in 2013 were coming off a season where they matched our 2012 record, but still had enough talent to land what?  6 guys on the Pro Bowl roster?  They weren't nearly as bad as their record indicated.  The Jaguars were. 

What's the one thing the Cowboys have that has allowed them to be competitive that the Jaguars only recently acquired (at least we hope)?  Tony Romo is one of the better QBs in the league despite the knock he has in the post season.  The Jaguars had what?  Gabbert and Henne last year, and we started this season with Henne still on the field?  Fix the QB situation and the rest will follow. 

Quote:That graph is great and everything, the problem is we're comparing this year's team to last year's, which was freaking awful. We still compare poorly to the rest of the league, and that's what matters.

There has been virtually no improvement from year 1 to year 2.

And i'll ask again, NAME ONE THING THAT HAS GONE ACCORDING TO PLAN

Yep this year just like last year we rank at the bottom of the 32 teams in both offense/ defense/ point differential. Amongst the fewest points scored and amongst the most given up. 

Flat out awful. 

Quote:Yep this year just like last year we rank at the bottom of the 32 teams in both offense/ defense/ point differential. Amongst the fewest points scored and amongst the most given up. 

Flat out awful. 
Let's see where we are at the end of the year, twitchy. 

Quote:Let's see where we are at the end of the year, twitchy.

It shouldnt take 5+ weaks to get a win. These long losing streaks are a concern. Even last year, didnt we drop our last 4?

Statistics don't always tell the whole story.  I judge based on what I see.

I challenge anyone to point out how the team that took the field week one has not improved through week 5.

Just take a look at the first quarter of the schedule and be honest.  Did anyone really expect the Jaguars to beat the Eagles, Chargers or Colts?  I know I didn't.  I will say that I thought that we could have won against the Redskins, and I didn't expect the loss to be that bad.

Starting the second quarter of the schedule, did anyone EXPECT that the Jaguars would beat the Steelers?  I thought that we had a chance, but it wasn't by any means a "should win" game.

That being said, look at the team that took the field in week one and look at the team that took the field in week five.  If anyone says that they have not seen improvement, they either have an agenda or don't know what they are watching.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:It shouldnt take 5+ weaks to get a win. These long losing streaks are a concern. Even last year, didnt we drop our last 4?

A young team, a rookie quarterback starting in week 4 playing against 3 possibly 4 playoff contenders.  Think about that for a moment.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Statistics don't always tell the whole story. I judge based on what I see.

I challenge anyone to point out how the team that took the field week one has not improved through week 5.

Just take a look at the first quarter of the schedule and be honest. Did anyone really expect the Jaguars to beat the Eagles, Chargers or Colts? I know I didn't. I will say that I thought that we could have won against the Redskins, and I didn't expect the loss to be that bad.

Starting the second quarter of the schedule, did anyone EXPECT that the Jaguars would beat the Steelers? I thought that we had a chance, but it wasn't by any means a "should win" game.

That being said, look at the team that took the field in week one and look at the team that took the field in week five. If anyone says that they have not seen improvement, they either have an agenda or don't know what they are watching.

The offseason should be the time spent on focusing on improvement. We should see the improvement at the start of the year, we ahouldnt have to wait 5 plus weeks