Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Has the team really not made progress? A quick look.

Quote:A young team, a rookie quarterback starting in week 4 playing against 3 possibly 4 playoff contenders.  Think about that for a moment.
Nah.  That's just excuse making.  We should be pushing for the division title right now.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is the second offseason in a row where this team has come out flat footed. And if the team really needed to be reminded by gus that winning was the objective, we're screwed.

Quote:Statistics don't always tell the whole story.  I judge based on what I see.

I challenge anyone to point out how the team that took the field week one has not improved through week 5.

Just take a look at the first quarter of the schedule and be honest.  Did anyone really expect the Jaguars to beat the Eagles, Chargers or Colts?  I know I didn't.  I will say that I thought that we could have won against the Redskins, and I didn't expect the loss to be that bad.

Starting the second quarter of the schedule, did anyone EXPECT that the Jaguars would beat the Steelers?  I thought that we had a chance, but it wasn't by any means a "should win" game.

That being said, look at the team that took the field in week one and look at the team that took the field in week five.  If anyone says that they have not seen improvement, they either have an agenda or don't know what they are watching.

LOL, they scored 17 points in week 1, 9 in week 5. 

Even Bortles last 3 appearances have produced 17, 14, and 9 points. YPA of 9.3, to 7.8, to 5.3. It should be trending the other way. But thats what happens when you treat your franchise QB like a game manager of late. 

Quote:The offseason should be the time spent on focusing on improvement. We should see the improvement at the start of the year, we ahouldnt have to wait 5 plus weeks

Time spent on improvement is a daily task.  Improve daily, then it turns into improving weekly.  Improve weekly and it improve seasonally.  It doesn't happen overnight.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:This is the second offseason in a row where this team has come out flat footed. And if the team really needed to be reminded by gus that winning was the objective, we're screwed.

Gus has proven over his head. He's not head coach material. 

We got a hint of this when he assembled a pretty bad coaching staff, with 2 poor Coordinator choices. 

Quote:Gus has proven over his head. He's not head coach material. 

We got a hint of this when he assembled a pretty bad coaching staff, with 2 poor Coordinator choices. 
So now you're down on Fisch. 

Just checking to see which way the wind is blowing.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Time spent on improvement is a daily task. Improve daily, then it turns into improving weekly. Improve weekly and it improve seasonally. It doesn't happen overnight.

To your point about inexperience: if it was gonna take this long to see a quality product, perhaps we shouldnt have so many first and second year players playing big roles. That falls on the front office.

This is professional sports, not college. You dont get to rebuild the program from the ground up. Your job is to field the best product possible every year, and this much inexperience is a joke

Quote:To your point about inexperience: if it was gonna take this long to see a quality product, perhaps we shouldnt have so many first and second year players playing big roles. That falls on the front office.

Perhaps that's their plan?  It's not like they haven't said all along that they're going to build this team through the draft.  That is pretty much playing itself out right in front of us if you're paying attention. 

People are playing to watch professional athletes play at the highest level. We're fielding a senior bowl roster

Quote:This is professional sports, not college. You dont get to rebuild the program from the ground up. Your job is to field the best product possible every year, and this much inexperience is a joke
That inexperience is gaining experience that will benefit this team over the long haul.  You disagree with the approach.  Bully for you.  We'll see if their method is the right one soon enough. 

Quote:People are playing to watch professional athletes play at the highest level. We're fielding a senior bowl roster

They had to completely change the philosophy for the organization.  That means blowing it up and starting over with young players.  Were you under the impression they were going to do it in some other manner?

My point should be pretty obvious.  And it was stated plainly in my opening post.  

Quote:<div>
It's easy to say looking at how many points we've given up, and how many points we've made and say "This team looks like it's regressed."  Just look at the stats of last year, and you can see that we're on pace to have a worse season.

However, looking at the stats through week 5, and we see a bit of a different picture

It's a bit early to say that this team hasn't made progress.  I think we'll know more by the mid-season break.  At which point Bortles will have been our starter for 68% of the season (as opposed to 50%)

</div>

At the start of last year, this team looked like the worst team in NFL History.  By the end of the year, it was looking a lot different.  What we're on pace for now, won't be the same as what we're on pace for in a few weeks. We shouldn't rush to judgment just yet.  Bortles has had two full games under his belt, and that's it.  5 games isn't really a good sample size for gauging  progress -- especially when we've only had Bortles for 50% of the time.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:So now you're down on Fisch. 

Just checking to see which way the wind is blowing.

"Now"?? Go back and check out my opinion on Fisch and Babich when these 2 were hired, champ.... I have the same opinion now that I did then. Poor choices. 

Quote:Perhaps that's their plan? It's not like they haven't said all along that they're going to build this team through the draft. That is pretty much playing itself out right in front of us if you're paying attention.

YOU CAN BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT WITHOUT PUSHING EVERY ROOKIE INTO A BIG ROLe RIGHT AWAY! BRING SOME QUALITY VETS IN WITH ALL THAT MONEY YOU HAVE. MAKE THE YOUNG GUYS WORK FOR IT.

Nobody, and i mean nobody, is doing what we are doing. You canr have this much inexperience, period.

Quote:They had to completely change the philosophy for the organization. That means blowing it up and starting over with young players. Were you under the impression they were going to do it in some other manner?

Give me one team, ONE that has "rebuilt" this way.

Quote:YOU CAN BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT WITHOUT PUSHING EVERY ROOKIE INTO A BIG ROLe RIGHT AWAY! BRING SOME QUALITY VETS IN WITH ALL THAT MONEY YOU HAVE. MAKE THE YOUNG GUYS WORK FOR IT.

Nobody, and i mean nobody, is doing what we are doing. You canr have this much inexperience, period.

Well, actually you can.  You said it yourself.  This team is doing exactly that.  Guess what?  If the younger players pan out, the experience they're gaining right now will only benefit this team over the long haul.  Maybe you should wait to see how this thing pans out?  Nah.  That's too difficult to do. 

Quote:This is professional sports, not college. You dont get to rebuild the program from the ground up. Your job is to field the best product possible every year, and this much inexperience is a joke

I guess you haven't been following along (just like many others).  The plan from the start was to rebuild from the ground up for the LONG TERM.  Players don't immediately become stars.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:To your point about inexperience: if it was gonna take this long to see a quality product, perhaps we shouldnt have so many first and second year players playing big roles. That falls on the front office.

Young players don't HAVE to equal the crap we've seen on the field these past 21 games. 

They look a mess because they have not had good coaching for the most part. 

The only good coaches we have are WR coach Jerry Sullivan and DL coach Todd Wash. Not coincidentally those are the most impressive area of the team. Scelfo isn't bad either, and has IMO helped Bortles look as good as he was before Fisch shackled him with the game manager crap. 

Quote:Give me one team, ONE that has "rebuilt" this way.
It's irrelevant what other teams have done.  This is the approach they're taking.  Nothing you say or do is going to change that.  They're either going to provide a new model for how to build a roster in the league, or they're not.  It's a little early to know anything for certain right now.  But, feel free to jump on the premature evaluation bandwagon.  TMD will appreciate having someone to snuggle up with.