Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Toby Gerhart.....fullback

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 09:02 PM by The Mad Dog.)

The most expensive one in the league....but thats pretty much what he should be. (fullback)

He's a very good blocker and has decent hands for catching the occasional pass out of the backfield. But I was wrong when I thought this guy could be a bell-cow halfback. 

Its a shame he gets so much money. He'd seriously be a good FB, I'd think. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He was a good halfback at Minnesota, so I have to blame the system and offensive line for some of his failures.

That said, I agree he needs to change positions. Our halfback depth chart should be Storm, Denard, Jordan.

Can he block?

Quote:He was a good halfback at Minnesota, so I have to blame the system and offensive line for some of his failures.

That said, I agree he needs to change positions. Our halfback depth chart should be Storm, Denard, Jordan.

Minnesota also seems to have had very good OL play over the years. 

I'm not sure that we weren't duped a bit on just how good of a HB that Toby is. I really think he's better suited for a FB if we're talking about a "starter". Backup HB? Sure. But he's not the bell cow we'd hoped. Caldwell missed on this one. 

Also do you realize that in his career of roughly 300 carries, he's lost like 7 or 8 fumbles?? Thats way too much. 

Quote:Can he block?

He's actually decent in blitz pickup. 

Quote:Minnesota also seems to have had very good OL play over the years. 

I'm not sure that we weren't duped a bit on just how good of a HB that Toby is. I really think he's better suited for a FB if we're talking about a "starter". Backup HB? Sure. But he's not the bell cow we'd hoped. Caldwell missed on this one. 

Also do you realize that in his career of roughly 300 carries, he's lost like 7 or 8 fumbles?? Thats way too much. 

Yep, older and better linemen certainly helped him. Minnesota probably did not run what people here call "stretch plays" (whatever those are) because he could gain lots of yards sometimes.

I don't know about starting fullback since he never played the position, but it is worth a try.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 08:16 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yep, older and better linemen certainly helped him. Minnesota probably did not run what people here call "stretch plays" (whatever those are) because he could gain lots of yards sometimes.

I don't know about starting fullback since he never played the position, but it is worth a try.

Stretch plays are that east-west [BAD WORD REMOVED] that we keep running him on, unsuccessfully, despite his strength obviously being a north-south type RB. 

This has already been discussed in other threads. You should try reading those first... Oh wait... <head thump> I get it.. This way it gets to be YOUR idea... Ok. carry on.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Well...FBs should run with some type of power.

Quote:This has already been discussed in other threads. You should try reading those first... Oh wait... <head thump> I get it.. This way it gets to be YOUR idea... OK. carry on.

Give him a break. Do you realize how long he has been gone?

Actually nobody mentioned this idea in my thread about fixing the running game.

Maybe not in that one, but it has been mentioned. I guess that's the difference between he and I. I look before I step... He likes being hit by trucks.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

I think in the other Gerhart thread it was said that he did run stretch plays just fine at both Minn and Stanford. I think it is still a matter of the holes opening up. Since he can't seem to push the pile or break tackles he is reliant on those holes, whether through the zone scheme or i-form.

Quote:I think in the other Gerhart thread it was said that he did run stretch plays just fine at both Minn and Stanford. I think it is still a matter of the holes opening up. Since he can't seem to push the pile or break tackles he is reliant on those holes, whether through the zone scheme or i-form.

When the holes are there, he can't find them.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We gave him a butt ton of money. We need to use him where he is better suited, I don't care what position it is.

We already have a generational talent at FB in Will Ta'ufo'ou.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Yeah, he didn't exactly turn out how Michael Turner did in Atlanta

It's the only use for him imo. Block the blitzer, and roll for the outlet.

On short yardage plays, even when he has made it, it was by a nose. I prefer Todman there I think.

With the mix of sizes, speed, and different skillsets, if the backs themselves can handle few touches without fumbling, there is alot that could be done to confuse defenses. But it seems like too much to ask from such a young group.

I never watched him when he was with the Vikings so I had to go by stats and the stats intimated that he'd be a quality back. But the limited touches in preseason revealed how slow he looked. He just doesn't have a lot of burst. Our problem right now is that we are playing 4 backs. When a team is playing 4 guys it means they don't have any. I think Storm might eventually be a Rashad Jennings. D-Rob could potentially turn into a nice change of pace guy. But the truth is, we don't have any guy on this roster that has the potential to be a really good back.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 05:36 AM by KYjaggy.)

I think the ankle injury from the horsecollar is still not that close to 100%, too. Granted it's very small SSS, but before the sprained ankle he did have a couple runs where he fought nicely for several extra yards and he did look like he could be that wear em down by the 4th quarter bulldozer. That hasn't happened at all since that horsecollar unfortunately. 

Gerhart just doesn't seem to have a second gear or a quick twitch.  He's a plodder, and probably would make a good FB.