Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Toby Gerhart.....fullback

Quote:We already have a generational talent at FB in Will Ta'ufo'ou.

So you don't think Toby Gerhart can do any better after some on-the-job training?

In threads about our running game problems, some people suggested we miss Greg Jones. That tells me we could use an upgrade at fullback.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think the ankle injury from the horsecollar is still not that close to 100%, too. Granted it's very small SSS, but before the sprained ankle he did have a couple runs where he fought nicely for several extra yards and he did look like he could be that wear em down by the 4th quarter bulldozer. That hasn't happened at all since that horsecollar unfortunately.
All too often we find out about injuries holding players back after the event. The season after it was a problem, it's all "Yeah, from the third game on he couldn't actually feel his left leg". It's always worth considering before calling for a player to be cut.

But that said, if he's not capable of running now as a result of the injury, then he shouldn't be starting now. Just like Cecil Shorts shouldn't have been on the field with a hamstring that couldn't avoid an interception...

Quote:All too often we find out about injuries holding players back after the event. The season after it was a problem, it's all "Yeah, from the third game on he couldn't actually feel his left leg". It's always worth considering before calling for a player to be cut.

But that said, if he's not capable of running now as a result of the injury, then he shouldn't be starting now. Just like Cecil Shorts shouldn't have been on the field with a hamstring that couldn't avoid an interception...

Part of it is how teams handle injuries. Look at Robert Griffin: the Redskins stupidly did not put him on the PUP list to give him 6-9 weeks to heal completely and now he is not the elite quarterback they expected him to be. Until the NFL requires teams to go through the same protocol for all injuries that they must do now for concussions, we are going to see that happen to players who are physically able to play and have a high pain tolerance.

Toby Gerhart is capable of running now, but not as fast as he did at Minnesota. Because our offensive line sucks it is hard to say how much of that is because of the bad ankle. We have to compare his few runs before the horsecollar tackle to what he did as a Viking to figure that out.

He played fullback for a couple of plays. He can block.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

SEATTLE HAS BEASTMODE AND WE GOT FEASTMODE !!!

Quote:We gave him a butt ton of money. We need to use him where he is better suited, I don't care what position it is.
We didn't pay him that much.  He got what's pretty much in line with the position, and his contract is structured in a manner that makes it pretty cheap actually.  They can cut him at the end of the year and barely feel the impact.

As far as him converting to FB, let's pump the brakes and try to use a little common sense here.  The RB situation isn't great, but their struggles can be at least partially tied to the fact that the offensive line has been in a state of flux and is only at full capacity as of the Pittsburgh game.  Anyone with even the slightest bit of common sense recognizes that a line takes time to develop, and as they do, the running game will improve in tandem. 

Regarding the stretch plays, the Jaguars want to use the bootleg to take their shots.  The only way that's even remotely effective is if they can get the stretch play working.  Gerhart isn't so slow that he's incapable of running it.  He simply needs his line to do their job, and that's been a huge point of contention, particularly if you watch Joeckel early in the season where he's struggling to handle his assignment. 

One of the problems I see with the running game is that they're simply not committing to it.  Fisch said this past off season that their goal was to skew slightly more toward running the ball in their play calling, but they're not really sticking to that.  A guy like Gerhart should get better as the game progresses if you're continuing to pound the defense repeatedly, and not just for 8-10 plays a game.  You've got to start trusting your line to create lanes, and you need to give him the opportunity to develop his field vision and find those openings to exploit them. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think his little foot problem combined with the Oline not performing well early has contributed to his issues.

I also believe it is possible that he is just a stop gap player and Caldwell knew that knowing he'd see what he had in Todman and Denard, then selecting a late round RB in Storm.

After this season it is possible that Toby and Todman are gone.

The coaches will make the best decisions though.

So I'll just leave it to them.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 10:17 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I think I may have been the 1st one to bring up the fact that Gerhart was not the solution here at RB.  I got blasted due to my statistical perspective of the failures of the past of white dudes making it as featured RBs in this league (for any duration of time).  I knew we were in bad shape when someone stated I was wrong and pointed out that Larry Csonka was successful.

Quote:I think his little foot problem combined with the Oline not performing well early has contributed to his issues.

I also believe it is possible that he is just a stop gap player and Caldwell knew that knowing he'd see what he had in Todman and Denard, then selecting a late round RB in Storm.

You're such a homer with your teal colored glasses thinking the coaches know better than a message board diva. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I think I may have been the 1st one to bring up the fact that Gerhart was not the solution here at RB.  I got blasted due to my statistical perspective of the failures of the past of white dudes making it as featured RBs in this league (for any duration of time).  I knew we were in bad shape when someone stated I was wrong and pointed out that Larry Csonka was successful.
If you look at the way his contract was structured, I don't think the team saw him as the solution at RB.  He was simply the best option available to them for what they wanted to do now.  Gerhart isn't a long term fixture on this offense.  I honestly don't think any of the current crop of backs are the answer.

Quote:I think I may have been the 1st one to bring up the fact that Gerhart was not the solution here at RB.  I got blasted due to my statistical perspective of the failures of the past of white dudes making it as featured RBs in this league (for any duration of time).  I knew we were in bad shape when someone stated I was wrong and pointed out that Larry Csonka was successful.

The racist reason is always the best reason.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:If you look at the way his contract was structured, I don't think the team saw him as the solution at RB. He was simply the best option available to them for what they wanted to do now. Gerhart isn't a long term fixture on this offense. I honestly don't think any of the current crop of backs are the answer.

For what the jaguars were looking for I think he was the best fit....

Blocking, short yardage stuff and just a reliability factor, but he hasn't been effective enough, for whatever reason, to keep using him right now.

I think they knew all along he wasn't flashy or a game breaker, but I'm assuming the injury and o line haven't lived up to expectations that would suit Toby's skill set.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

So they basically just signed a backup fullback?

Quote:I think his little foot problem combined with the Oline not performing well early has contributed to his issues.

We hope the coaches will make the right decisions.  Just because they got the job, doesn't mean they'll make the right decisions.  People who get the job often make bad decisions.  Otherwise coaches would be immune from being fired.  You have to leave it to them no matter what, but that doesn't mean that you have to agree with them.  

I certainly hope that Gus knows more than all of us combined do.  I'm sure he does.  That doesn't mean he'll make the right decision unfortunately.  I hope he does, however.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:For what the jaguars were looking for I think he was the best fit....

Blocking, short yardage stuff and just a reliability factor, but he hasn't been effective enough, for whatever reason, to keep using him right now.

I think they knew all along he wasn't flashy or a game breaker, but I'm assuming the injury and o line haven't lived up to expectations that would suit Toby's skill set.
I think that's all hampered his ability to be as productive as they'd hoped.  I don't believe anyone expected him to become some explosive, dominant back when they brought him here.  Just a rock solid, reliable contributor. 

Like I said earlier, he's a guy who isn't part of the long-term plan.  He's just a transitional guy the team can lean on until they find the best possible option for the future. 

Maybe we need to draft a fullback in round 2 to replace him ala Greg Jones.  Not much better than drafting a punter in round 3!  

Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

I agree that Toby's contract is set up for us to have an easy out without financial implications.  It would be nice to grab someone like ANTONE SMITH at ATL next season to compliment Gurley.  Smith is only making $730k this year AND IS A FREE AGENT GOING INTO 2015

11 carries 121 yards 2 tds

6 receptions 156 yards 2 tds

Is it really racist to say a white dude has all the odds stacked against him to succeed as a RB in todays NFL if you have stats dating back 20 years to support your statement ??  That's a rhetorical question. 

Quote:I agree that Toby's contract is set up for us to have an easy out without financial implications.  It would be nice to grab someone like ANTONE SMITH at ATL next season to compliment Gurley.  Smith is only making $730k this year AND IS A FREE AGENT GOING INTO 2015

11 carries 121 yards 2 tds

6 receptions 156 yards 2 tds
Odds are he doesn't hit the street. 

Can we just bring back Greg Jones so I can watch the highlight vs North Carolina 1 more time?