Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Toby Gerhart.....fullback

Quote:SEATTLE HAS BEASTMODE AND WE GOT FEASTMODE !!!

Yup.. They need to put that bozo on a diet..

Calories = Carries

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Odds are he doesn't hit the street. 
Not with Steven Jackson getting up there in age.

Atlanta could roll with Smith and a late round draft pick.

Or maybe Toby Gerhart... lol

Antone won't be franchised so he'll be available if we can pull a Lakers move to recruit potential free agents.  Atlanta has some high priced players locked in through 2018 so they may not have the luxury to pay a little extra to retain him.  Julio's contract runs out in 2016 too so they will need to same some room as well.

Quote:Its a shame he gets so much money.
Why? It's basically a 1 year deal, why do you care how much he makes? Not like it's gonna cripple us long term.

Quote:Stretch plays are that east-west [BAD WORD REMOVED] that we keep running him on, unsuccessfully, despite his strength obviously being a north-south type RB.
Apparently he has no vision when going north-South. Been hearing alot of that when listening to the Radio. Missing alot of cut lanes

Enough already with the comments for Toby Gerhart to be moved to fullback position. There could not possibly be a dumber move to make. Toby Gerhart went to Jacksonville by choice. Had the coaching staff told him we have plans for you as our fullback........... he would not have gotten out of dodge fast enough. Let me be perfectly clear. Toby Gerhart is NOT a fullback or of fullback caliber. He is a RUNNING BACK, but he excels as a RB by being a north / south runner. It also helps to have a line that can open holes and so far at least even with Toby on the sidelines, whoever is in there has had some of the same difficulties getting beyond the line of scrimmage. If this is ALL on Toby, then why has there been NO BREAKOUT games by any of the other RB's either?

The ones calling for Toby's contract and head are the same ones who were calling for Henne's head and when they got their wish and Bortles became thee man............how come they are STILL LOSING AND STILL LOSING BIG? Nobody wants to own up to the fact that so far this year, the Jaguars are simply not a very good football team. Sorry to burst the bubble of all you eternal optimists, but that's a fact! The moves they made in the offseason looked good on paper but there's a world of difference between looking good on paper and looking good on the football field. There were very few (including myself) that honestly thought the JAGS would NOT be all that much better this year. They were of the school of thought that this would be a work in progress. So far, it's turned out that they were right and we were wrong. I now reluctantly admit, the JAGS are just not a good team right now.

We have Toby in the wrong system. He is a power/gap RB, not a zone/stretch RB.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Quote:Enough already with the comments for Toby Gerhart to be moved to fullback position. There could not possibly be a dumber move to make. Toby Gerhart went to Jacksonville by choice. Had the coaching staff told him we have plans for you as our fullback........... he would not have gotten out of dodge fast enough. Let me be perfectly clear. Toby Gerhart is NOT a fullback or of fullback caliber. He is a RUNNING BACK, but he excels as a RB by being a north / south runner. It also helps to have a line that can open holes and so far at least even with Toby on the sidelines, whoever is in there has had some of the same difficulties getting beyond the line of scrimmage. If this is ALL on Toby, then why has there been NO BREAKOUT games by any of the other RB's either?

The ones calling for Toby's contract and head are the same ones who were calling for Henne's head and when they got their wish and Bortles became thee man............how come they are STILL LOSING AND STILL LOSING BIG? Nobody wants to own up to the fact that so far this year, the Jaguars are simply not a very good football team. Sorry to burst the bubble of all you eternal optimists, but that's a fact! The moves they made in the offseason looked good on paper but there's a world of difference between looking good on paper and looking good on the football field. There were very few (including myself) that honestly thought the JAGS would NOT be all that much better this year. They were of the school of thought that this would be a work in progress. So far, it's turned out that they were right and we were wrong. I now reluctantly admit, the JAGS are just not a good team right now.
When your other RBs are a former QB that hasn't done much and a 7th round rookie RB, it's no surprise no one else is going to break out.

I was all on board Toby being signed here and I even kept the guy on my fantasy team the whole year until this morning, but to keep rolling with him as our bell-cow would be insane.  It's clear that not all the blame is on the O-line for our run game.

We have 5 rookies, and when Lee gets back 6, that are getting significant snaps. Any team playing that many rookies is going to finish at the bottom of the league. What we want to see is improvement this year. Our hope is that, based on the steelers game, the young defense is beginning to figure things out. Now we need to start to see it in the offense which I think we will by the midpoint or last quarter of the season.

Quote:So you don't think Toby Gerhart can do any better after some on-the-job training?

In threads about our running game problems, some people suggested we miss Greg Jones. That tells me we could use an upgrade at fullback.
Greg Jones is one of the best blocking fullbacks of the 21st century. We could have Mike Alstott back there and I'd still miss Jones' blocking.

Quote:Maybe we need to draft a fullback in round 2 to replace him ala Greg Jones.  Not much better than drafting a punter in round 3!  
Jones was drafted as a running back. AFAIK, there were no plans to convert him to fullback until his knee troubles.

Quote:Greg Jones is one of the best blocking fullbacks of the 21st century...

....maybe in life. Laughing 

Quote:Is it really racist to say a white dude has all the odds stacked against him to succeed as a RB in todays NFL if you have stats dating back 20 years to support your statement ??  That's a rhetorical question. 
No, it's not racist to say a dude has the odds stacked against him. It's racist ignorance to bring his skin color to the conversation in the first place. His performance so far has NOTHING to do with his skin color and to even mention "white dude" is ludicrous. That's like saying most of the black guys in the NFL would be criminals if not for pro football. A player who happens to be good at whatever position he plays should NOT have the focus of his ability be determined by his skin color. On the flip side of that includes making a case for that player not being as good as others based on his skin color as well. A player is either good or he's not good should be called out or applauded for his performance while his skin color should NEVER even enter the conversation either way.

Quote:He's actually decent in blitz pickup. 

Fullbacks are actually rarely delegated to blitz pickup... Especially in today's league. Usually two down players.

Quote:We didn't pay him that much.  He got what's pretty much in line with the position, and his contract is structured in a manner that makes it pretty cheap actually.  They can cut him at the end of the year and barely feel the impact.

The way people have been talking you would think they did give him a bunch of money. I thought that was a primary complaint. Too much money for the lack of production on the field. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:The way people have been talking you would think they did give him a bunch of money. I thought that was a primary complaint. Too much money for the lack of production on the field. Thanks for clearing that up.

Toby Gerhart isn't even in the top 15 in the NFL for average salaries for running backs. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Toby Gerhart isn't even in the top 15 in the NFL for average salaries for running backs. 

Is this correct? 

Wasn't the networks reporting at his signing that it was amongst the highest salaries for starting RB or something?? (Not THE highest) but like in the top 10?

Quote:Is this correct? 

Wasn't the networks reporting at his signing that it was amongst the highest salaries for starting RB or something?? (Not THE highest) but like in the top 10?
He's got the 16th highest average salary among current NFL running backs, but don't let a little something like facts get in the way.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

According to spotrac, Toby is tied with 7 other guys for 26th in the league for base salary. He received 4.5 million in guaranteed money which is 14th.

Quote:According to spotrac, Toby is tied with 7 other guys for 26th in the league for base salary. He received 4.5 million in guaranteed money which is 14th.
That's why I used the average salary. 

I'll refrain from moving Toby to FB as the poster above mentioned, however, perhaps if we move him to Offensive Weapon (OW) we could strike some fear in our opponents.