Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Toby Gerhart.....fullback

Word has it that Gerhart is averaging 5.2 yards per carry in practice.  Compare that to Storm Johnson (4.1 YPC) and Todman (3.5 YPC).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Word has it that Gerhart is averaging 5.2 yards per carry in practice.  Compare that to Storm Johnson (4.1 YPC) and Todman (3.5 YPC).

Is that with the defense on the field too? I'd look into that..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:So you don't think Toby Gerhart can do any better after some on-the-job training?

In threads about our running game problems, some people suggested we miss Greg Jones. That tells me we could use an upgrade at fullback.

Not convinced Gerhart can jump into the full back position myself, although I know it seems like it might work.  I don't know if he's ever played the position and there are some fine points that maybe he'd need an off season and training camp to pick up.  I also think WT is doing fine at the position, the struggles in the running game have more to do with the struggles and shifts of the OL.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Word has it that Gerhart is averaging 5.2 yards per carry in practice.  Compare that to Storm Johnson (4.1 YPC) and Todman (3.5 YPC).

I'd be more interested in what the medians were.

I mean if Gerhart runs on 10 carries:

1 yard

-2 yards

-1 yard

3 yards

2 yards

1 yard

-2 yards

-1 yard

2 yards

Then our defense slips up, and he gets a 48 yard run

His average would be 5.1

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Well he was just ruled out.

Quote:Well he was just ruled out.

Who do you think gets the start? D-Rob or Storm?

Quote:Who do you think gets the start? D-Rob or Storm?
Storm will get the start.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Todman would probably get the start.

Confused....FBT says Storm, jobclarke says Todman

They were discussing this on Dempsey's show earlier.  They were saying that Johnson would more than likely get the start.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:He's got the 16th highest average salary among current NFL running backs, but don't let a little something like facts get in the way.
Well then we did not get him for peanuts like you keep saying. Several times it is mentioned that Toby was brought in as a stopgap player and "it's not like we paid him a bunch of money" 

Yes we did pay him compared to the other running backs on the team. How much is our next highest paid back making? Not even a million, correct?

So if we gave Toby basically 4 million guaranteed to come in for one year and do nothing then we overpaid. Period.

Not to mention that the FO also believed Toby was the man to start on an NFL team. Is that talent evaluation?

It was a horrible FA signing and this revisionist history is sickening.

It wasn't a good signing, and production wise his contract wasn't worth it.  At the same time, all GM's make mistakes, and Gerhart seemed like throwing mud at the wall and hoping it stuck.  Ultimately we won't pay too much of a price, given our salary cap situation if/when Gerhart is gone at the end of the season.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2014, 03:08 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Well then we did not get him for peanuts like you keep saying. Several times it is mentioned that Toby was brought in as a stopgap player and "it's not like we paid him a bunch of money" 

Yes we did pay him compared to the other running backs on the team. How much is our next highest paid back making? Not even a million, correct?

So if we gave Toby basically 4 million guaranteed to come in for one year and do nothing then we overpaid. Period.

Not to mention that the FO also believed Toby was the man to start on an NFL team. Is that talent evaluation?

It was a horrible FA signing and this revisionist history is sickening.

Who is the director of pro-personnel? Do we have one? The Gerhart signing (and most NFL free agents) would fall under his responsibility. Granted, Caldwell as the GM is the head honcho so yes, he gets blame. 

Quote:Storm will get the start.

Is that official?

Quote:Confused....FBT says Storm, jobclarke says Todman

There is no reason to start the kickoff returner. If Todman gets hurt he can't return kickoffs and we need him for that. So no matter how good he is as a running back, he should not be the starter.

?? No matter how good Todman is at RB, he shouldn't be a starter because we need him as a kick returner?

Todman is averaging 26 yards per return.  I think we could simply take a knee and get the ball on the 25.

Quote:Who is the director of pro-personnel? Do we have one? The Gerhart signing (and most NFL free agents) would fall under his responsibility. Granted, Caldwell as the GM is the head honcho so yes, he gets blame. 

I don't think we have one.  Wouldn't it be director of pro-scouting?  I honestly don't know.  Assistant Director of Pro-Personnel is Andy Dengler, who has been here for 17 years I think?  One of  (I think) 7 scouts that have been here before Caldwell.   

Quote:?? No matter how good Todman is at RB, he shouldn't be a starter because we need him as a kick returner?

Todman is averaging 26 yards per return.  I think we could simply take a knee and get the ball on the 25.

Touchbacks go to the 20 in the pros, 25 in college. But the NFL is working hard to eliminate kickoff returns altogether, so we might see a competition compromise at some point where all post-score drives start at the 25 thus eliminating "one of the most dangerous plays in all of sports."

And if Todman is an excellent RB then the idea that his kick return duties are more important is just one more ridiculous notion out of that one's brain.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Who is the director of pro-personnel? Do we have one? The Gerhart signing (and most NFL free agents) would fall under his responsibility. Granted, Caldwell as the GM is the head honcho so yes, he gets blame. 

Quote:I don't think we have one.  Wouldn't it be director of pro-scouting?  I honestly don't know.  Assistant Director of Pro-Personnel is Andy Dengler, who has been here for 17 years I think?  One of  (I think) 7 scouts that have been here before Caldwell.   

I believe that would be Chris Polian.

Quote:I don't think we have one.  Wouldn't it be director of pro-scouting?  I honestly don't know.  Assistant Director of Pro-Personnel is Andy Dengler, who has been here for 17 years I think?  One of  (I think) 7 scouts that have been here before Caldwell.   
Chris Polian. (I'm pretty sure)