Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Aggresiveness

Quote:Bortles audibled to 7 passing plays when runs were called.  Right, wrong, or indifferent, I like his aggressivness.  I also think he's seeing something in the defense that makes him believe a passing play is a better option.  I'm sure every read isn't perfect but I like it.

However, why are Bradley and Fisch trying to discourage him from doing that?  Bradley said they may call more run-only plays where he can't audible to a pass.  Seems foolish to me?  Instead of handcuffing Bortles why not help him learn to make the best read and call?  This should and can be done in the film room and on the sidelines.  I just don't understand this staff.

Thoughts?

Agreed they shouldnt handcuff the guy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 12:44 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:Did Bortles know as soon as the play was over what his mistake was or did hew have to hear it from a coach on the sideline?
What's it matter?

Blake's a pretty smart kid, I'm sure he recognizes some of his mistakes as they're happening. Whether he can correct them remains to be seen but if there's mistakes he makes that he doesn't understand immediately, that's what the coaches and film are for.

I live Blake's aggressiveness. I've been waiting for a QB that has a set of balls for years. Blake has the ability to make some special plays and we've seen that. The aggressive attitude is a part of it all and I'm glad we don't have coaches with a Mularkey-like conservative attitude to slow him down.

I'd like to see the actual quote.  According to the OP, it looks like they would be calling run-only plays.

One of these years.............

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...gs-best-rb

According to this article:

"Bradley said the Jaguars had 22 running plays called against the Steelers, but quarterback Blake Bortles checked to passes on seven of those plays. Bortles completed five of those passes, threw one incompletion, and had the other pass intercepted and returned for a touchdown. Bradley said Bortles did a good job with the checks, but also said he’d like to see more runs called where there isn’t an option to check out."

Doesn't look like I'm reading too much into this.  If that's not handcuffing, I don't know what is.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 12:48 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:If that is true how do teams run no-huddle offenses?
Those teams that run it consistently generally have competent veteran QBs that can run the offense on their own. Guys like Brees, Rodgers, Peyton Manning etc.

If I remember correctly the communication is cut off with 10-15 seconds remaining on the play clock.

Quote:*Bradley added of a running game that produced 56 yards on 17 carries, “I feel like the run game was pretty good. If anything, we should have run the ball more.” …

*Bradley said rookie quarterback Blake Bortles checked out of seven runs at the line of scrimmage. “The intent was to run based on looks he had,” Bradley said. Bradley said overall the checks were productive, with Bortles completing 5 of 8 passes on the audibles. …

Quote:http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...gs-best-rb

"Bradley said the Jaguars had 22 running plays called against the Steelers, but quarterback Blake Bortles checked to passes on seven of those plays. Bortles completed five of those passes, threw one incompletion, and had the other pass intercepted and returned for a touchdown. Bradley said Bortles did a good job with the checks, but also said he’d like to see more runs called where there isn’t an option to check out."

Doesn't look like I'm reading too much into this.  If that's not handcuffing, I don't know what is.
LOL. OK So he praised  5 of 8 checks   - essentially wanting three more running plays?  And that's handcuffing?  OK. If you say so. 

Those are some pretty weak handcuffs.  Not sure how Blake could ever be productive with three fewer audibles. 

Quote:LOL. OK So he praised  5 of 8 checks   - essentially wanting three more running plays?  And that's handcuffing?  OK. If you say so. 

Those are some pretty weak handcuffs.  Not sure how Blake could ever be productive with three fewer audibles. 
Sounds more like another fan looking for something else to complain about to me.  You didn't know most of the posters here would be upgrades to the actual NFL coaches?

Quote:http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...gs-best-rb

"Where there isn't an option to check out" is the key phrase here. Bradley did not say Bortles should never check out of a run.

Quote:LOL. OK So he praised 5 of 8 checks - essentially wanting three more running plays? And that's handcuffing? OK. If you say so.

Those are some pretty weak handcuffs. Not sure how Blake could ever be productive with three fewer audibles.

Yeah I don't understand how he's been handcuffed. To be honest I'm surprised at the freedom they have allowed him early on. They seem to be doing the opposite of handcuffing him and I love that from Bradley. Let him learn and adjust to what he thinks he sees. If it's wrong, teach him why. He's been overall successful it seems on his audibles and that's a good sign.

Quote:LOL. OK So he praised  5 of 8 checks   - essentially wanting three more running plays?  And that's handcuffing?  OK. If you say so. 

So devil's advocate here.  Run only play called.  Bortles recognizes that there is no chance for success for running and that a check to a pass would result in a favorable matchup.  He can't check to this play, even if he makes the right read of the defense.

I'm just saying, you either trust him to be the QB who can check at the line, or you don't.

As soon as the ball came out like a duck, Bortles knew it was a bad call.  He reacted almost instantly.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:So devil's advocate here.  Run only play called.  Bortles recognizes that there is no chance for success for running and that a check to a pass would result in a favorable matchup.  He can't check to this play, even if he makes the right read of the defense.

I'm just saying, you either trust him to be the QB who can check at the line, or you don't.

When did Bradley say Bortles can't check out of a play when he sees a need to? I am not seeing that at all.

Quote:As soon as the ball came out like a duck, Bortles knew it was a bad call.  He reacted almost instantly.

So his throwing motion also played into it?

Quote:Yeah I don't understand how he's been handcuffed. To be honest I'm surprised at the freedom they have allowed him early on. They seem to be doing the opposite of handcuffing him and I love that from Bradley. Let him learn and adjust to what he thinks he sees. If it's wrong, teach him why. He's been overall successful it seems on his audibles and that's a good sign.
Yep.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:So devil's advocate here.  Run only play called.  Bortles recognizes that there is no chance for success for running and that a check to a pass would result in a favorable matchup.  He can't check to this play, even if he makes the right read of the defense.

The coaches have already given him an insane amount of freedom and trust for being a rookie.  Chill.

Quote:When did Bradley say Bortles can't check out of a play when he sees a need to? I am not seeing that at all.

"Bradley said Bortles did a good job with the checks, but also said he’d like to see more runs called where there isn’t an option to check out."

That quote means - Bradley wants run plays called that Bortles can NOT check out of the called run, no matter what. Agree or disagree with the sentiment, but it's what Bradley said.

If Bradley wanted to leave Blake in a position where Blake could check out anytime that Blake thought it necessary, Bradley would not have made the comment.

“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson

Quote:When did Bradley say Bortles can't check out of a play when he sees a need to? I am not seeing that at all.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-theO...bf0ba2a18a

"Jaguars Head Coach Gus Bradley, incidentally, said this week there might be thought given to calling some run-only plays where Bortles is “discouraged” from changing the play."

That's in a nice way telling your rookie QB don't change our play-call.  Either teach him to be a great QB (make the right reads and checks) and let him audible as needed or else you've just got a puppet.  I'll take a leader on the field any day!

To me, this shows a lack of trust in Bortles (rookie or not).  If I'm bortles, I take great offense to this.  He's a leader and this isn't how you groom a leader.  This is micromanagement, not empowerment.

Quote:http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-theO...bf0ba2a18a

"Jaguars Head Coach Gus Bradley, incidentally, said this week there might be thought given to calling some run-only plays where Bortles is “discouraged” from changing the play."

That's in a nice way telling your rookie QB don't change our play-call.  Either teach him to be a great QB (make the right reads and checks) and let him audible as needed or else you've just got a puppet.  I'll take a leader on the field any day!
LOL.  Gus said Bortles got 5 of 8 audibles right.  It's not one or the other.  (leader or puppet) They are trying to get him to learn from his mistakes. They aren't making him a puppet. That's so lame to try and inject that here.  

Quote:LOL.  Gus said Bortles got 5 of 8 audibles right.  It's not one or the other.  (leader or puppet) They are trying to get him to learn from his mistakes. They aren't making him a puppet. That's so lame to try and inject that here.  

He's essentially been told "we are going to call some plays you can't change."  In other words, shut up and color.

That's not what you do with a true leader and hopefuly future franchise QB.

I hope this doesn't stint Blake's growth and development as as a QB.  I'm not impressed with Bradley at all.