Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Aggresiveness

Quote:When did Bradley say Bortles can't check out of a play when he sees a need to? I am not seeing that at all.

I think Bradley's verbiage here is a bit confusing because the implication is that these particular plays are to be run as is when in fact I doubt that's what he meant exactly. I'm guessing that even in these situations where Blake might not like the particular playcall he can audible at the line, he just can't abandon the run to to do so (i.e. he will be able to adjust the run based on what he's reading from the defense like changing from a draw to a sweep).

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He's essentially been told "we are going to call some plays you can't change."  In other words, shut up and color.

That's not what you do with a true leader and hopefuly future franchise QB.

I hope this doesn't stint Blake's growth and development as as a QB.  I'm not impressed with Bradley at all.

OK. I think your concerns are unwarranted and misplaced, but enjoy being paranoid about a great rookie QB being given more freedom than most rookie QBs ever get I guess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please tell me we just suck and are not trying to be conservative. 

@HaysCarlyon: Bortles says #Jaguars have not told him they are stopping letting him check out of plays.

I think they said he checked out of 7 run plays.  5 of them were completions, 1 was the pick-6, and 1 was an incompletion.  I won't read much into it at this point.  I don't see a reason to throttle him down in that department.

Quote:I agree that it should be something that is coached.  If he sees a bad setup for a running play (i.e. 8+ in the box), why not let him audible out.  Goodness knows we've seen what happens when we don't audible out.  If they don't like how often he's audibling just because it skews the balance, then I see a problem with that.  If they are smart checks, then keep letting him do them.  If they are truly bad checks, then tell him why they are bad checks and try to get him to understand why.  By not giving him an opportunity to check on certain plays, you're handcuffing him and treating him with kid gloves.

well said.....

ice cream

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM by continuous.)

If these wrs would catch the ball his aggressiveness wouldnt be a bad thing. If every audible he did was an INT then okay handcuff him but right now he probably can move the offense without Fisch

Quote:Please tell me we just suck and are not trying to be conservative. 

Since when has anybody inside the organization said we want to be conservative with Blake Bortles?

Quote from Jedd Fisch: "He has the pen last. I don't have the pen last." Translation: I will let Bortles do what he wants.

Quote:If these wrs would catch the ball his aggressiveness wouldnt be a bad thing. If every audible he did was an INT then okay handcuff him but right now he probably can move the offense without Fisch

The receivers are inconsistent for the same reason he is: they are only 22 years old. Give them all time to grow together and you will see great things from our rookie offense.

Any running play by the Jaguars requires an audible to the pass.

Quote:He's gunslinger, a touchdown maker. He makes it rain TD's.

I saw a gunslinger from every preseason Bortles appearance up until halftime of the San Diego game. 

From that point forward, I have seen a game manager. 

Why this has happened? I don't know. 

Quote:I saw a gunslinger from every preseason Bortles appearance up until halftime of the San Diego game. 

From that point forward, I have seen a game manager. 

Why this has happened? I don't know. 

He's been Gabbertized.  Scared now.  Lost the edge.  "I see pass rushers"

Quote:He's been Gabbertized.  Scared now.  Lost the edge.  "I see pass rushers"

I don't think he's scared of the pass rushers. 

I think someone has got into his ear about the INT's and taking deeper shots downfield though. 

Its like 2 different QB before and after/ since halftime of that San Diego game. 

Quote:I don't think he's scared of the pass rushers. 

I think someone has got into his ear about the INT's and taking deeper shots downfield though. 

Its like 2 different QB before and after/ since halftime of that San Diego game. 

It seems like we see that change in-game with him even.  Early in the game versus halftime, particularly in that San Diego game, is like two different games.

It's a little concerning and I'm not sure why it's happening.  

Quote:@HaysCarlyon: Bortles says #Jaguars have not told him they are stopping letting him check out of plays.

Good.

There is positively NO reason for them to stop him from checking out of plays.  He's shown the ability to do it will on several occasions.  Both in the regular season and the pre-season.  I'm glad they aren't holding him back and these will be learning opportunities down the road for him.  They'll be on film and the coaches should be able to coach those types of mistakes out of his game.  That's what the film and coaches are for.

Quote:It seems like we see that change in-game with him even.  Early in the game versus halftime, particularly in that San Diego game, is like two different games.

It's a little concerning and I'm not sure why it's happening.  

But he was the Bortles we know in the 2nd half of the Colts game. 

All this started from halftime - onward of the San Diego game. For the following 6 quarters of football, its like Bortles got a labotomy into being Chad Henne with the short passes. I even think he had one blocked by a DL for good measure. Wallbash 

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM by Scarecrow.)

Quote:But he was the Bortles we know in the 2nd half of the Colts game. 

All this started from halftime - onward of the San Diego game. For the following 6 quarters of football, its like Bortles got a labotomy into being Chad Henne with the short passes. I even think he had one blocked by a DL for good measure. Wallbash

Yeah he hasn't looked the same, it's been discouraging but we've seen enough of the gunslinger mentality from Blake through college and his early outings as a pro to lead me to believe it's not him that's the problem.  

Fisch and Babich both could and need to be upgraded but I don't want to derail this thread with that topic.

Quote:Good.

There is positively NO reason for them to stop him from checking out of plays.  He's shown the ability to do it will on several occasions.  Both in the regular season and the pre-season.  I'm glad they aren't holding him back and these will be learning opportunities down the road for him.  They'll be on film and the coaches should be able to coach those types of mistakes out of his game.  That's what the film and coaches are for.

And the playbooks. During every game, when the defense is playing, Scelfo is showing Bortles diagrams in a fat notebook to explain something to him.

Quote:Yeah he hasn't looked the same, it's been discouraging but we've seen enough of the gunslinger mentality from Blake through college and his early outings as a pro to lead me to believe it's not him that's the problem.  

Fisch and Babich both could and need to be upgraded but I don't want to derail this thread with that topic.

I did not see him at all in college. In fact I had never heard of him before he declared for the draft.

Quote:I did not see him at all in college. In fact I had never heard of him before he declared for the draft.

How is that even possible?  You watch a fair amount of college football, don't you?  He was mentioned often particularly towards the end of the season because of his status as a prospect and his success at UCF.