Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Aggresiveness

Quote:The Bortles we know is the 9.0+ YPA guy he was his last year in college as well as every Jaguars appearance up until halftime of the San Diego game.....

thats the Bortles we know...

LOL.  OK.  That's the tiniest sample size in the history of the world to define a rookie QB with -- but have at it. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm not trying to give you a hard time at all here - but what the hell is "the Bortles we know"?  

He's played in 2.5 games and is quite obviously still learning not just the nuances of the position but some of the fundamentals as well.  I think it's silly to think you know what to expect from him on a weekly basis at this point.  

There is no "Bortles we know."   You seem to have unrealistic expectations. 
Spot on.

It isn't all about handcuffing Bortles. If, every time he audibles, it turns into a passing-play, then the defense picks up on it. I'm sure that had something to do with the pick-6, too. 

Quote:LOL.  OK.  That's the tiniest sample size in the history of the world to define a rookie QB with -- but have at it. 

6 consecutive Jaguars appearances, plus over 10 college appearances is the tiniest sample size to define with? 

I don't think so. 

To me that showed a heckuva lot of a consistent style of play. One that he seems to have gotten away from the past 6 quarters and been noticeably more conservative....almost like someone got into his ear over-focusing about INT's or something.....but what do I know....

Quote:6 consecutive Jaguars appearances, plus over 10 college appearances is the tiniest sample size to define with? 

I don't think so. 

To me that showed a heckuva lot of a consistent style of play. One that he seems to have gotten away from the past 6 quarters and been noticeably more conservative....almost like someone got into his ear over-focusing about INT's or something.....but what do I know....
2.5 NFL games

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 06:02 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:It isn't all about handcuffing Bortles. If, every time he audibles, it turns into a passing-play, then the defense picks up on it. I'm sure that had something to do with the pick-6, too. 

As I said in a previous post....IMO what helped make that audible's result so disastrous was that the defense pretty much knew by that point that if it was an audible to a pass that they could just defend it short since 90% of the passes since the long early INT that game were of the short variety. They knew where the ball was going probably before Bortles even threw it.  If the playcalling hadn't been that predictable up until that point maybe the audible's result wouldn't have ended so disastrously. 

Quote:2.5 NFL games

Plus 4 preseason games. 

Gabbert was still Gabbert in preseason. 

I won't dismiss Bortles preseason as meaningless. Not when his play in preseason was just like it was in college as well as regular games prior to the halftime of the Charger game. 

Quote:Plus 4 preseason games. 

Gabbert was still Gabbert in preseason. 

I won't dismiss Bortles preseason as meaningless. Not when his play in preseason was just like it was in college as well as regular games prior to the halftime of the Charger game. 

And just who exactly was he playing against/with in preseason?  NFL starters?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

When Allen Robinson wins some of these deep balls we will probably see more...

Instead its leading to turnovers...

Quote:6 consecutive Jaguars appearances, plus over 10 college appearances is the tiniest sample size to define with?

I don't think so.

5 games in and there's not a single QB in the NFL with a 9.0 YPA.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:As I said in a previous post....IMO what helped make that audible's result so disastrous was that the defense pretty much knew by that point that if it was an audible to a pass that they could just defend it short since 90% of the passes since the long early INT that game were of the short variety. If the playcalling hadn't been that predictable up until that point maybe the audible's result wouldn't have ended so disastrously. 

If you KNOW it's going to be a pass, then the odds are in your favor that it'll be one from the "short variety". 

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 06:09 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:As I said in a previous post....IMO what helped make that audible's result so disastrous was that the defense pretty much knew by that point that if it was an audible to a pass that they could just defend it short since 90% of the passes since the long early INT that game were of the short variety. They knew where the ball was going probably before Bortles even threw it.  If the playcalling hadn't been that predictable up until that point maybe the audible's result wouldn't have ended so disastrously. 
I'll ask again, how do you know what the play calling was versus check downs and changing at the line?

Quote:When Allen Robinson wins some of these deep balls we will probably see more...

Instead its leading to turnovers...

What did they try .....like 2? 

Repetition is the only thing thats going to improve that. 

Quote:5 games in and there's not a single QB in the NFL with a 9.0 YPA.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt</a>

Yawn, before Peyton Manning, no QB ever passed for 500 TD, either

Point is, Bortles play the last 6 quarters is night and day different from the Bortles up until that point. Much more conservative. Game manager-like. 

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:If you KNOW it's going to be a pass, then the odds are in your favor that it'll be one from the "short variety". 

...especially if its Jedd Fisch calling the play. lol....

But, seriously, if the QB to that point was attacking the whole field more evenly, then you wouldn't be able to gamble that assuredly (as a DB)

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:What did they try .....like 2? 

Repetition is the only thing thats going to improve that. 

Yawn, before Peyton Manning, no QB ever passed for 500 TD, either

Point is, Bortles play the last 6 quarters is night and day different from the Bortles up until that point. Much more conservative. Game manager-like. 
Yawn because you're expecting the unrealistic?

Last 6 quarters have been against a San Diego offense, a Lebeau defense, with rookie WRs starting, and against coaches who have had time to see his tape.

Quote: 

I won't dismiss Bortles preseason as meaningless.

You don't have to dismiss them.  I would, but if you are counting them for anything it shouldn't be what you expect to see from him in regular season. 

You are basically saying that in 10 quarters of reg. season football he  ( a 22 y.o. rookie) was "himself" for 4 quarters and " a victim of the coaches play calling" for 6 of them.  

I think that's absurd. 

(BTW about your Gabbert comment -  he looked like a franchise QB against the Jets last preseason)

Quote:...especially if its Jedd Fisch calling the play. 

Fisch had a run called there.

Quote:...especially if its Jedd Fisch calling the play. lol....

Bortles called that play.

On my Xbox, Playstation, whatever game console Jaguars receivers magically get open down the field on every play and Blake throws a perfect spiral to them for a touchdown EVERY TIME!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Bortles called that play.

Quote:Fisch had a run called there.

Fisch also gave him (before the play/ game) certain plays in that spot that he could choose from for the audible, should he call one) 

Bortles is calling a play in that situation that is similar to the plays they been running all game and that the coaching staff already predetermined. 

Its not as if this is Blake saying "Ok you go to the blue Honda 20 yards ahead and I'll hit you". Laughing