Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Passes defended and interceptions

PD = 11th (30th in league)

INT = 1 (Last in league)

Sacks = 16 (one behind league leader)

What is the issue on defense?  I thought great coverage lead to easy sacks and pressure leads to tighter coverage (passes defended and interceptions).  My eyes say the pass rush is inconsistent drive to drive but if it got any better we'd be leading the league for sure.  Safety play has been inconsistent too, esp over the tight end. Normally a QB will read where the safety goes and will throw the other way into single coverage, but the big plays that we see are going through the 'strong point' of the field through the initial defender and safety.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Because Winston Guy.

/thread

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Because Winston Guy.

/thread
and Prosinski.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:and Prosinski.

Both of whom are thankfully gone.

I am still routinely confused (by virtue of being a largely casual fan of the game, I reckon) by how we can lead almost lead the league in sacks and be pretty much dead last in takeaways? The common and most logical school of thought to justify this is that these sacks must be coverage sacks but that can't be possible because our secondary is largely hot garbage. They're also coming mostly earlier in games and not after the game is already out of hand.

I can't help but think that with more consistency in the pass rush, we might be better suited, even with our suspect secondary, to play more press man than zone but I'm sure I'm missing something...

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Prosinski barely played on defense this year. In most every game he got the majority of his snaps on special teams, (probably except the one that Cyp was injured).

I think this is another symptom of the mental mistakes. With so many players that aren't dependable on defense we don't run a lot of complicated coverages. That means that it's easy for QBs to see when a guy is covered and therefore, not throw the pick. Instead, when the coverage is good they hold the ball and take the sack. Once we trust our defenders a bit more we'll begin mixing it up and we'll see those numbers rise.

4 out of 5 games were agaisnt really smart QBs and the 5th (Wash) no one showed up to play.

They cant stop teams from converting....so far teams have 122 first downs compared to our 77 totals

Formerly known as The Real Joker

We don't have any playmakers in the back 7

Quote:Both of whom are thankfully gone.

I am still routinely confused (by virtue of being a largely casual fan of the game, I reckon) by how we can lead almost lead the league in sacks and be pretty much dead last in takeaways? The common and most logical school of thought to justify this is that these sacks must be coverage sacks but that can't be possible because our secondary is largely hot garbage. They're also coming mostly earlier in games and not after the game is already out of hand.

I can't help but think that with more consistency in the pass rush, we might be better suited, even with our suspect secondary, to play more press man than zone but I'm sure I'm missing something...

Someone said after the Eagles game one fumble occured on a coverage sack, so I don't know how that can have anything to do with it.

The interception statistic is misleading.Jonathan Cyprien was in the process of intercepting a pass when his head hit the ground. When asked what the turning point was, some people called it that play. Of course it did not help that Cyprien was out the next week.

So what about the cornerbacks? We had the wrong guy starting on one side. Now it is clear Demetrius McCray, not Dwayne Gratz, is better at their position. Free safety? We also had the wrong guy starting there, but now know Josh Evans is better than Winston Guy. So I can only see us improving in the secondary.

Hard to defend a pass when you're 5-6 yards off every damn receiver.

Quote:Someone said after the Eagles game one fumble occured on a coverage sack, so I don't know how that can have anything to do with it.

The interception statistic is misleading.Jonathan Cyprien was in the process of intercepting a pass when his head hit the ground. When asked what the turning point was, some people called it that play. Of course it did not help that Cyprien was out the next week.

So what about the cornerbacks? We had the wrong guy starting on one side. Now it is clear Demetrius McCray, not Dwayne Gratz, is better at their position. Free safety? We also had the wrong guy starting there, but now know Josh Evans is better than Winston Guy. So I can only see us improving in the secondary.

I'm optimistic about McCray, but Gratz had several good games last year. So it's not clear who is the better player at this point. I still have hopes that Gratz will regain his form from last year and be a good player.

Quote:I'm optimistic about McCray, but Gratz had several good games last year. So it's not clear who is the better player at this point. I still have hopes that Gratz will regain his form from last year and be a good player.

I have not read the McCray vs. Gratz thread, but from what I have seen from them this year, I like Bradley's decision to make a switch.

Something you have to keep in mind is a player can be great one year and terrible the next. Marcedes Lewis is a perfect example of that.

Quote:Hard to defend a pass when you're 5-6 yards off every damn receiver.
Somebody sees the light.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Im hoping McCray & Cyp together this week will bring us some production finally...

Quote:I'm hoping McCray & Cyp together this week will bring us some production finally...

That already happened. You are only asking for more of it.  Smile

I am looking forward to see the other cornerback and safety play as good as they did on Sunday.