Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calvin Johnson could be on his way out of Detroit

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...er=ya5nbcs

Even with all of the injuries if I were a GM, even with a #1 receiver on the roster, I'd risk tampering to offer Calvin Johnson a max contract before free agency even starts.

I do believe he will retire as the greatest receiver in NFL history and I do believe he has some prime years left.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...er=ya5nbcs

Even with all of the injuries if I were a GM, even with a #1 receiver on the roster, I'd risk tampering to offer Calvin Johnson a max contract before free agency even starts.

I do believe he will retire as the greatest receiver in NFL history and I do believe he has some prime years left.
Risk tampering? Give me a break. He's a receiver.

Although he would be nice to have, he doesn't play a position that can carry a franchise which is evident by his 1 playoff appearance.

Offering a max contract for a receiver with our cap space would allow us all the leverage we need to sign him. Risk the repercussions of tampering with all of our cap space for a receiver  would just be stupid.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 08:06 AM by Jagwired'd.)

Quote:Risk tampering? Give me a break. He's a receiver.

Although he would be nice to have, he doesn't play a position that can carry a franchise which is evident by his 1 playoff appearance.

Offering a max contract for a receiver with our cap space would allow us all the leverage we need to sign him. Risk the repercussions of tampering with all of our cap space for a receiver  would just be stupid.
I have a problem with this. Just "A receiver"? I think any football fan worth his salt would be insulted you'd even refer to Calvin Johnson as such. Lets slow down and remember who we're talking about here.

The Lions' problems lie in the secondary and sometimes its quarterback. Even at receiver, Calvin Johnson has proven he is able to literally win games on his own in spite of Stafford's inconsistency. The only player in the entire league right now that can say that is Peyton Manning. Not even Brady.

Calvin Johnson knows Calvin Johnson will get multiple contracts bordering on franchise quarterback money if he goes to free agency and he will deserve every penny for being one of maybe 1% of players in league history with virtually no ceiling to his abilities. If you're able to offer your contract first and get him to sign within minutes of free agency starting, you won't have to worry about any competition from potentially better destinations. This type of thing happens all the time, and I can't remember the last time someone was caught for it.

Not to mention, I was never specifically referring to the Jaguars. If I were a GM of any team, I'd be clearing up cap space to try to sign him, even the Bengals. That's the type of player he is.

Bottom line: A game changing player is worth whatever he wants, and I mean that.

What should happen: Offer Johnson a max contract and have the best receiver working with the best young QB in the NFL

What actually happens: Divide that max contract by 3 and pay 3 free agents who amount to absolutely nothing on this roster leaving us thinking. Dang, should have signed CJ.

What actually happens: Calvin Johnson never hits the open market

Quote:What actually happens: Calvin Johnson never hits the open market
Pretty much.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 12:08 PM by EricC85.)

If he did hit the open market give him whatever he wants. In the end it wouldn't matter he would get whatever he wants anywhere so we stand no chance of landing him.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Would be stupid to let Calvin go. That said, I don't see it happening..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

If he is on the market I'd fully support Dave paying him whatever it took to get him here.

That would likely result in us needing to give him majority ownership of the team, a key to the city, and our entire salary cap in guaranteed money but hey I say go for it.

Quote: 

Jason_OTC

@ProFootballTalk The just paid him $51.8 million from 2012-14. $12.5 million is pennies on that deal. 2016 maybe, but Id be shocked at 2015

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

That's an awful lot of pennies.. Hope he has plenty of those penny roll wrappers.

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Max contract? Are we talking basketball or football?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:What actually happens: Calvin Johnson never hits the open market
Bingo.  But, that wouldn't allow the usual suspects to take their shots at the Jags front office, so you're not playing nicely. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Who needs Calvin Johnson when Stephen Hill is available to be signed today?

Quote:I have a problem with this. Just "A receiver"? I think any football fan worth his salt would be insulted you'd even refer to Calvin Johnson as such. Lets slow down and remember who we're talking about here.

The Lions' problems lie in the secondary and sometimes its quarterback. Even at receiver, Calvin Johnson has proven he is able to literally win games on his own in spite of Stafford's inconsistency. The only player in the entire league right now that can say that is Peyton Manning. Not even Brady.

Calvin Johnson knows Calvin Johnson will get multiple contracts bordering on franchise quarterback money if he goes to free agency and he will deserve every penny for being one of maybe 1% of players in league history with virtually no ceiling to his abilities. If you're able to offer your contract first and get him to sign within minutes of free agency starting, you won't have to worry about any competition from potentially better destinations. This type of thing happens all the time, and I can't remember the last time someone was caught for it.

Not to mention, I was never specifically referring to the Jaguars. If I were a GM of any team, I'd be clearing up cap space to try to sign him, even the Bengals. That's the type of player he is.

Bottom line: A game changing player is worth whatever he wants, and I mean that.
LOL! He's a receiver, meaning no matter how good of a receiver he is, he isn't going to carry a team.

Reality check. Best receiver in the game by far, 1 playoff appearance.

Just the fact that you would risk throwing away what little chance we have of getting him by "tampering" insults any fan with the tiniest amount of common sense.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM by Jagwired'd.)

Quote:LOL! He's a receiver, meaning no matter how good of a receiver he is, he isn't going to carry a team.

Reality check. Best receiver in the game by far, 1 playoff appearance.

Just the fact that you would risk throwing away what little chance we have of getting him by "tampering" insults any fan with the tiniest amount of common sense.
Again with this "just a receiver" thing.

Calvin Johnson has the ability to win games, but no player has the ability to carry a team, regardless of position. Erase that delusion.

You know what, I'll concede and say that tampering is probably too far of a stretch. Even though you're grossly (grossly) exaggerating the potential risk considering how often it happens versus how often teams are actually punished for it, it's still a risk, and an untalented team would be gambling the future away.

But you're out of your mind if you wouldn't write a "much larger than average" (since we're obviously having a miscommunication with our exaggerative, figurative writing) check to sign Calvin Johnson out of free agency.

Like I said, there are very few players in this game that can take over a game and very rarely do they walk into free agency. Calvin Johnson is one of them, and if he goes to free agency, the smartest thing you can do is place your bid.

Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...er=ya5nbcs

Risk tampering?  As in you would willfully cheat?  No offense, but that speaks volumes about your character.

Greatest receiver in NFL history?  Not so much.  Great receiver?  Yes.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

No team can afford Megatron. Whatever he gets, it will be less than he deserves.

Quote:Risk tampering?  As in you would willfully cheat?  No offense, but that speaks volumes about your character.

I didn't realize hypothetical, outrageous sports talk amongst fans was a fine indicator of character.

(It isn't)

Quote: 

Greatest receiver in NFL history?  Not so much.  Great receiver?  Yes.
I consider Calvin Johnson a better football player than Jerry Rice. I can fully respect an opinion otherwise and you can make just as many arguments against it as I could for it, but I draw a fine line between which player had the better career, and which player is the better player.

Quote:I didn't realize hypothetical, outrageous sports talk amongst fans was a fine indicator of character.

(It isn't)

I consider Calvin Johnson a better football player than Jerry Rice. I can fully respect an opinion otherwise and you can make just as many arguments against it as I could for it, but I draw a fine line between which player had the better career, and which player is the better player.

Again, I didn't mean any offense towards you.  I'm the type of person that would rather lose honestly than win dis-honestly.  A "win" by cheating is not a win, no matter the sport or the situation.

Calvin Johnson should and will be talked about for years in the same breath as Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann, Michael Irvin, etc.  He is and is going to be one of the greats.  I just draw the line at naming him as the "greatest receiver in NFL history".  Greatest receiver in the game today?  Perhaps.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.