Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calvin Johnson could be on his way out of Detroit

Don't know what happens, but until he beats Jerry Rice, he's not the best ever.

Everyone did that talk with Tiger and Jack, and we all see how that's turning out.

Could he be the best ever? Maybe.

Will he turn out to be the best? Maybe not.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Calvin Johnson? Here?? Hellyeah!

.000000000001 % chance of actually happening, tho. 

Quote:What actually happens: Calvin Johnson never hits the open market

Yeah... Why is this not blatantly obvious?

Quote:What actually happens: Calvin Johnson never hits the open market

Never say never, but I expect him to stay in Detroit for at least the next 5-6 years.

Quote:Calvin Johnson? Here?? Hellyeah!

.000000000001 % chance of actually happening, tho. 
We might not have the "city lifestyle" but what we can offer: no state income tax, beaches and sunny weather.

Let's hope that he doesn't want to win a Super Bowl.

I kid I kid...

Quote:Again, I didn't mean any offense towards you.  I'm the type of person that would rather lose honestly than win dis-honestly.  A "win" by cheating is not a win, no matter the sport or the situation.

Calvin Johnson should and will be talked about for years in the same breath as Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann, Michael Irvin, etc.  He is and is going to be one of the greats.  I just draw the line at naming him as the "greatest receiver in NFL history".  Greatest receiver in the game today?  Perhaps.
No offense taken, I still don't think anyone should put that much weight into hypothetical sports talk among fans.

Quote:<div>
Don't know what happens, but until he beats Jerry Rice, he's not the best ever.

Everyone did that talk with Tiger and Jack, and we all see how that's turning out.

Could he be the best ever? Maybe.

Will he turn out to be the best? Maybe not.

</div>
I don't think anyone will be Jerry Rice's career numbers, and I respect them wholeheartedly. I think it takes a lot of talent to be able to put up numbers when you're almost 40.

Having the luxury of seeing both in their primes I can say that I have never seen Jerry Rice play the game of football as well as Calvin Johnson has. I don't think I've ever seen a receiver play the game like Calvin does.

Maybe "greatest" is a stretch. I'll change that. How do I put this...

"Jerry Rice is the greatest of all time right now, but he's not a better receiver than Calvin Johnson."

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:No team can afford Megatron. Whatever he gets, it will be less than he deserves.
It's too bad Stafford is not a consistent enough QB, otherwise, I see Megatron winning at least a couple regular season MVPs.

Bortles to Johnson, I get a pants tent thinking about it. 

Quote:Bortles to Johnson, I get a pants tent thinking about it. 

Only on Madden.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 05:45 PM by Predator.)

Quote:Again with this "just a receiver" thing.

Calvin Johnson has the ability to win games, but no player has the ability to carry a team, regardless of position. Erase that delusion.

You know what, I'll concede and say that tampering is probably too far of a stretch. Even though you're grossly (grossly) exaggerating the potential risk considering how often it happens versus how often teams are actually punished for it, it's still a risk, and an untalented team would be gambling the future away.

But you're out of your mind if you wouldn't write a "much larger than average" (since we're obviously having a miscommunication with our exaggerative, figurative writing) check to sign Calvin Johnson out of free agency.

Like I said, there are very few players in this game that can take over a game and very rarely do they walk into free agency. Calvin Johnson is one of them, and if he goes to free agency, the smartest thing you can do is place your bid.
Why do you keep attributing "just a receiver" to me? Are you just too dumb to read?

And discussing cheating is not football talk. It just shows how big a [BLEEP] you are.

Just Florio looking for page hits

Quote:Just Florio looking for page hits
Agreed.  Johnson won't be leaving Detroit unless he's done, or he's retiring.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Here are my 2 cents:

Barring something very unexpected,  Calvin Johnson will remain with the Lions in 2015.

Beyond 2015,  it's hard to predict what will occur.   The health level of Calvin Johnson,  combined with what the rate of increase of the NFL Salary Cap will be major factors in 2016 and/ or beyond what Calvin Johnson's future will be with the Lions.  Being that 2014 could easily be the final season for Larry Fitzgerald in Arizona because of his contract,  combined with his age,   it wouldn't surprise me if the day will come that Calvin Johnson is playing for another team.   This is a reality with many,  if not most high priced players in the NFL Salary Cap era.   While I think there's a good chance that Calvin Johnson remains with the Lions through the 2016 season and even the 2017 season,  it's far from a sure thing.  

If the day does come that the Lions can't afford Calvin Johnson,  based on opportunity cost,   and he still has something significant left in the tank,  the Jaguars could be a team that interests him.  The reasons being,  Blake Bortles,   Jacksonville being relatively close to Calvin's hometown  ( Atlanta ),  and the Jaguars playing surface.    If the Jaguars are positioned as a Super Bowl contender at that time,  that will very likely increase his interest in playing for the team if the Lions move in another direction.

Quote:Why do you keep attributing "just a receiver" to me? Are you just too dumb to read?

And discussing cheating is not football talk. It just shows how big a [BAD WORD REMOVED] you are.
You're attempting to minimize his impact on games by preaching on and on about his position and ignoring his impact on the game with ":LOL HES A RECEIVER XD" and I'm telling you his position simply doesn't matter in regards to the potential impact he could have on any offense. He's that good, whether you like it or not.

Discussing something that commonly happens in football isn't football talk? Regardless of whether it's legal, illegal, morally just or not?

Lol, an edited post? You obviously didn't conclude it with a coherent thought, so I can only assume you initially made an impotent attempt to insult me. 

You should really calm down.  :no:

Quote:You're attempting to minimize his impact on games by preaching on and on about his position and ignoring his impact on the game with ":LOL HES A RECEIVER XD" and I'm telling you his position simply doesn't matter in regards to the potential impact he could have on any offense. He's that good, whether you like it or not.

Discussing something that commonly happens in football isn't football talk? Regardless of whether it's legal, illegal, morally just or not?

Lol, an edited post? You obviously didn't conclude it with a coherent thought, so I can only assume you initially made an impotent attempt to insult me. 

You should really calm down.  :no:
How can cheating be considered common football talk when you are the only idiot suggesting it?

His being great has had minimal impact on the lions in his 6 seasons because he is a receiver. Receiver is a position that has limited impact and Calvin Johnson is a perfect example of this.

Why can't you get this concept through your thick skull?

Quote:How can cheating be considered common football talk when you are the only idiot suggesting it?

His being great has had minimal impact on the lions in his 6 seasons because he is a receiver. Receiver is a position that has limited impact and Calvin Johnson is a perfect example of this.

Why can't you get this concept through your thick skull?
And I ask you again, is it not part of football? Does tampering not run rampant in the league? You implied it wasn't. You're choosing to ignore what I'm saying and insulting me like a child instead. Speaks volumes of your maturity. Irony considering you attempted to bandwagon another poster in questioning my character just a short while ago.

As far as the bolded, I don't find that to be true at all. How I can respond to someone that thinks Calvin Johnson has had a minimal impact on the Lions? Have you seen the Lions' offense in the games they played without Calvin Johnson? They're either unable to drive the ball or Stafford throws a lot of interceptions or incompletions. He's a huge, huge part of that offense's ability to even run a competent offense. Clearly, his impact is minimal. After all, he's a receiver.

Do you understand? I'm disagreeing with you and I've told you why at least three times already. You're welcome to disagree with me and I can respect that. However this should not be a foreign concept to you. Are you not used to people not liking the things you don't like, so you instead sperg out at them on the internet?

Again, settle down.

Greatest ever?  I dont know about that.  He is great but he has a way to go before he catches guys like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens

I put the odds of Megatron leaving Detroit right up there with the odds of Jeter being traded by the Yankees.

Quote:I put the odds of Megatron leaving Detroit right up there with the odds of Jeter being traded by the Yankees.

I hope you are proven correct.   Yet it's one of those situations in which I'm hoping for the best but could be eventually  preparing for the worst.  The latter has happened far too many times with the Lions in one form or another.

I have my doubts that the lions let him walk, But he has not had a very good season thus far IMO so who knows.... Maybe they will risk letting him go.