Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What If?

An interesting subject came up on the Jaguars forum that got me thinking.

If a game was played between the 1979 Steelers and the 1999 Broncos (both winners of the Super Bowl in their respective years), which team would win and why?

The two teams are very different between two decades.  Compare any 1970's team that won the Super Bowl back then and have them play a Super Bowl winner 20 or 30 years later.

Of course, there is the caveat of "which rules to play by".  Football back in the '70's was much different than it is today.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Laughing  Broncos because of their youth.  Those guys from the Steelers must be in their 60's by now. 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Broncos. Bc the game has changed drastically. More schemes, film, etc. On the other hand, I bet the steelers would be men amongst boys. They played hard nosed football back then. Now everyone falls on the ground if their finger hurts.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:An interesting subject came up on the Jaguars forum that got me thinking.

If a game was played between the 1979 Steelers and the 1999 Broncos (both winners of the Super Bowl in their respective years), which team would win and why?

The two teams are very different between two decades.  Compare any 1970's team that won the Super Bowl back then and have them play a Super Bowl winner 20 or 30 years later.

Of course, there is the caveat of "which rules to play by".  Football back in the '70's was much different than it is today.

I think if the game was played with a set of 1979 Refs and rules, Steelers win, hands down.. Jack Lambert and Mean Joe would literally kill their QB's.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Not to mention Mad Dog White coming around the end and drilling Elway right into the chest and making him blow snot bubbles.. 

Broncos, easily. Players in 1999 were bigger and/or faster than their 1979 counterparts. The Steelers OL averaged about 260 lbs, the DL about 255. The 1998 (not '99) Broncos OL all weighed between 285 and 290, the DEs 270, the DTs 295 and 340! That much weight difference on players who were just as fast and athletic would be impossible to overcome.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

There is definitely arguments for both sides. It would be a hell of match though. Bloody old fashioned slug fest.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

I idolized this guy for a reason

http://youtu.be/4EdmIB2kRFc

That would be a great game to watch, I think I would(as much as i hate to say it) pick the steelers.

Elway wouldn't have a snowballs chance..

http://youtu.be/oYciVVi-1_0

As said above, players were much lighter during the late 70s.

Doesn't help that the Broncos knew how to play smashmouth football just as well as anyone.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Can't see it.. I'll take the tenacity of a Mean Joe or Lambert who's lighter in weight over any O-line player on the 98-99 Broncos..

Rip off their heads and deficate down their throats..

Romanowski was the closest, but still a wuss compared to Jack and Joe..

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 08:56 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Biggest, faster, stronger. 

The teams of the 60's and 70's have no chance against any modern football teams.

They couldn't dream of being able to cover Shannon Sharpe.

That Cover Two shell that Pittsburgh ran would probably get torn up with Denver's Zone Block scheme. I mean, if you gave them a week to prepare it might be a little different but I'm not sure how Pittsburgh would react to that type of approach. Also, that Denver Defense was no slouch either.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:An interesting subject came up on the Jaguars forum that got me thinking.

Actually, Denver won their Super Bowls in the 1997 and 1998 seasons. 

The tacks went to the Super Bowl in the 1999 season.

To the crux of your question:  I think Pittsburgh would win, if you somehow equalized the differences in size the eras had.

First, that Steelers team had some 9 Hall of Famers:  Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, Webster, Greene, Greenwood, Ham, Lambert and Blount.  What's more, there has been an argument made (with merit) that a tenth, S Donnie Shell, should be in that group.  He was a 5 time pro bowler and 3 time first team All Pro.   As worthy a team as that 98 Broncos team was, that accumulation of talent does not come close to that 1979 Steelers team.

Secondly, that Steelers team won under the same rules liberalizing pass blocking and instituting the one chuck rule that Denver won their Super Bowls.  In fact, that "one chuck" rule is often called the "Mel Blount" rule, because he was so big and so physical with receivers, guys could not get open.  In any event, the Steelers team referenced here won the first two Super Bowls played after that once chuck rule was instituted.

I could see whomever Mel Blount covered on a play (Ed McCaffrey or Rod Smith) being severely limited-even under the one chuck rule, because if nothing else, his ability to jam at the LOS would effectively ruin the timing of any pattern his man was running, Elway would have to eliminate him as an option.

As to Shannon Sharpe, he was a matchup nightmare for most defenses.  But I think Ham and to a lesser degree Lambert excelled in pass drops, and Shell was no slouch in coverage, either.  Over the years, he had to cover great TEs like Russ Francis, Dave Casper and Mike Barber.

Denver's secondary wasn't that great on that 1998 team, either, and I could see Bradshaw, Swann and Stallworth having big games against that defense if given the time.

The one matchup edge I could see Denver having in that game would be their defensive line against the Steelers' offensive line in terms of rushing the passer.  I could see Neil Smith having a big game against those Steelers' tackles.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!