Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How to fix the running game

It needs to happern now because Blake Bortles can't do everything by himself, especially when all of the receivers are either injured or suffering dropitis. All opponents in 2014 know to go after Bortles, a 22-year old rookie who has only played 2.5 games, until we are good at running the ball again. So what should we do to fix that?

Of course, you have to be realistic here. Jedd Fisch will not give up on the zone blocking scheme just because one player is a bad fit for it. The other guys may be a very good fit for the ZBS because they can run outside. Rank the five running backs (#45 counts). What would you suggest doing to make them all gain more yards?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Storm Johnson. Pay the receptionist at the window for your visit.

Quote:Storm Johnson. Pay the receptionist at the window for your visit.

I am looking forward to seeing more of him. He has played with Blake Bortles the last four years, so if he disappoints me, I can't blame a chemistry issue.

Quote:I am looking forward to seeing more of him. He has played with Blake Bortles the last four years, so if he disappoints me, I can't blame a chemistry issue.
When they play him he'll produce. Took them long enough to realize it; it's like they have to fall into situations when to play people.

Just put Henne back in so everyone can say it's the QB's fault.

Quote:Just put Henne back in so everyone can say it's the QB's fault.

Actually it was the offensive line's fault. Henne just happened to be the quarterback.

Does anybody think Toby Gerhart is worth keeping as a situational rusher?

Quote:Does anybody think Toby Gerhart is worth keeping as a situational rusher?

It's getting harder to by the game, but I would try to use him on short yardage and when they need to punch it in at the goal line.

If he continues to not get the job done, he would be gone at the end of the season, if not before.

How is he as a blocker, I haven't really paid attention to that?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:It's getting harder to by the game, but I would try to use him on short yardage and when they need to punch it in at the goal line.

If he continues to not get the job done, he would be gone at the end of the season, if not before.

How is he as a blocker, I haven't really paid attention to that?

If he is a good blocker (I am sure somebody pays attention to that), moving him to fullback would not be a bad idea.

He should definitely be gone next year.

one thing that Fred Taylor said during the game Sunday was that the cutback lanes were there all game,but the backs weren't seeing it.I think Storm has the better natural RB vision to see them.The knock on him was being able to stay back and block and fumbling

Quote:One thing that Fred Taylor said during the game Sunday was that the cutback lanes were there all game,but the backs weren't seeing it.I think Storm has the better natural RB vision to see them.The knock on him was being able to stay back and block and fumbling.

Why do we need him to stay back when his job is to move forward?

We could use Gerhart to punch it through on critical downs with Ta'ufo'ou leading as FB. Other than that, Gerhart doesn't seem to have much use.

Quote:Actually it was the offensive line's fault. Henne just happened to be the quarterback.

Wow, you really believe that don't you?  smh

don't know why I'm surprised considering you analyze how many times Bortles touches his face during a press conference. 

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 09:14 AM by Raven09s.)

Quote:Why do we need him to stay back when his job is to move forward?

Blitz pickup is a big part of being a 3rd down running back.  Especially when we have a team that's being blitzed as much as we are with the young line.  If he can't recognize and pick up a blitz then he's almost useless on a 3rd down pass play.  This is why you see Todman/Gerhart in on 3rd down.  They block better than any other RB on the team and can both make plays as a checkdown receiver.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 09:22 AM by muddylips.)

Quote:Does anybody think Toby Gerhart is worth keeping as a situational rusher?
Possibly.... although he seems to have had injury issues himself right out of the gate.... (or maybe their just 'injury' excuses...). However, I wouldn't keep him for any reason for the amount of money Dave gave him. We once again grossly overpaid a low production vet...

At some point we're gonna figure out that there's a reason why other teams let go of their veteran players. If their really worth the money they want, teams tend to hang on to them....

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:We could use Gerhart to punch it through on critical downs with Ta'ufo'ou leading as FB. Other than that, Gerhart doesn't seem to have much use.

From what i have seen he isnt really that good at punching it thru either.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 09:43 AM by muddylips.)

Not an easy fix I'm afraid....

*our offensive line is not too good at run blocking.

*our 'premier' running back, Toby Gerhard, appears to be unable to make his own hole, and lacks the speed to go outside. He really seems more useful when lined up as a fullback..

*D. Robinson seems fast but has yet to really 'do' anything.

*Todman likewise...

*Storm Johnson is fast and showed something Sunday.... and immediately got hurt, though he did return.

The fact is quality running backs don't grow on trees. Dave gambled on Gerhard as a worthwhile running back and lost. IMO we should unload this guy if can and go with D.Rob, Todman and Storm. Gerhard just has too little value for his price.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Wow, you really believe that don't you?

We had the wrong guys playing center and right tackle the first two weeks. Certainly that hadf something to do with our inability to run the ball when Chad Henne was the quarterback.

Obviously he did not make the situation any better, but there is no reason to put all of the blame on him.

Quote:Wow, you really believe that don't you?  smh

don't know why I'm surprised considering you analyze how many times Bortles touches his face during a press conference. 

Oh Snap!!

LOL

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

The only thing that's going to fix the running game mid-season is patience.  The line is getting better.  As that continues to happen, the running game will improve regardless of which back is getting touches.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]