Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is it possible?

Quote:Here's one way to look at the Jags hopes of winning a few. 

The Jags D held the Steelers to one TD. They held  Ben to right at his average passing yards per game. They held their run game to a bit less than their average. (111 yds allowed - they were averaging north of 140 per game) 

So --  if the D can play that well or better against a handful of our opponents remaining -- all that needs happen is for Bortles to have a few good outings where he doesn't throw the easy pick and doesn't suffer as many drops.  It's do-able.  It'll take improvement - but we'll win a few. 
Yup, this team needs to play consistent and the wins will eventually come.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Jags32250 --- I think the team is better but that does not necessarily translate to more wins.  THINK ABOUT IT !!!    The Browns are better, the Texans are better, etc.   We can actually be a better team but get less wins that last year.  I never stated that we were better in comparison with the rest of the league.  Didn't realize my statement was that difficult to comprehend.   I'll attempt to be more explicit with my posts from now on so "everyone" can fully understand them without further explanation.

Analogy -- Johnny has 12 apples and obtains 1 apple per day for 7 days.  Sally has 10 apples but obtains 2 apples per day for 7 days.   Does Johnny have more apples then he did last week?  Does Johnny have more apples then Sally at the end of the week?

Answer key:  Yes, Johnny has more apples then he did last week.   No, Johnny does not have more apples then Sally at the end of the week.

Analogy explanation:  Johnny actually has more apples (e.g. Jags are actually better) but the rate of growth (e.g. improvement) is less than the Sally (e.g. opponent).
This really is the dumbest thing i've read since posting here.  SMH.

I'd like to think that this team will win at least one stinking game this season. I'm not a betting man, but I would guess that the best chance of winning any game this season (and by now I hope we all realize that there are no automatics for us...) would be against the tacks playing here.

*It's at the end of the season so the rookies have had almost a full season to learn.

*We'll both almost certainly be eliminated from playoff contention long before then so it's not like they will be playing for a spot.

*The one spot they 'could' be playing for is a higher draft pick.

*There are no superstars on the tacks to have to deal with.

Still, to not win a game until the last game of the season would be a really anticlimactic finale to what has so far been another disappointing season. 

It's true that statistically a team can look improved without more wins.... but from a fan point of view, wins are the only 'stat' that matters, imho. 

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Going 0'fer would be devastating to the locker room so I don't see it happening.  Teams on the schedule get injuries and outlooks change.  Even though we are young and inexperienced, going winless would be a heck of a task with a noted weaker schedule.

If they do go 0-16 I wonder if Gus would be able to use his juices to lure players into Jax...

Na I dont think we will see an winless season this year. I believe the next few games we will be able to find a win or two.  I also believe our Def is starting to maybe get it? Plus our Oline with Bortles has looked better than it did previous weeks.... So im hoping for at least a few wins this year.

No way we go winless this year. We're about to play 3 teams we can beat and I think we will. At the worst I think we win 2 out of the next 3.

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

I'm pretty critical of alot of things on this team...  But I don't see us running the table in reverse..  We're just not that bad!

My bigger concern is whether we'll at least match our win total from last year.  I mean technically, we still have 3 games before the half way point to get a win, which would put us ahead of last years schedule.

The other thing, the schedule this year thus far has been pretty tough.  Yeah, Washington is weak, but they still have alot of good players and we were running with Henne.  The squeelers are in a down turn, but are still a pretty decent team with good offensive weapons.

Our D looked considerably better Sunday.  And I HOPE that our offense begins to make exponential strides as the rookies get better over time...  

I think eventually we can expect 20 points scored by our offense consitently.  Maybe that even starts this week?

But we're not going 0-16.  If we go 4-12 again...  That still will be pretty concerning, especially if the games aren't close

Hurricane, U are one sorry A--

Quote:0-16 is possible and more likely than not.  This team stinks in so many areas it's hard to look at any team we can beat.

I believe the 0-16 lions would beat us right now.

0-16 more likely than not? No chance.

You need to take a couple days off. You have some excellent criticism, but this is not realistic at all. Stick to pertinent critiques backed up by facts as you usually do. I agree you have every reason to be po'd, but methinks a little moderation might be a good thing for ya.

Don't forget the other sucky teams'll be looking for high picks at the end of the season.

0-16? Neva!!!

Quote:I'm pretty critical of alot of things on this team... But I don't see us running the table in reverse.. We're just not that bad!

My bigger concern is whether we'll at least match our win total from last year. I mean technically, we still have 3 games before the half way point to get a win, which would put us ahead of last years schedule.

The other thing, the schedule this year thus far has been pretty tough. Yeah, Washington is weak, but they still have alot of good players and we were running with Henne. The squeelers are in a down turn, but are still a pretty decent team with good offensive weapons.

Our D looked considerably better Sunday. And I HOPE that our offense begins to make exponential strides as the rookies get better over time...

I think eventually we can expect 20 points scored by our offense consitently. Maybe that even starts this week?

But we're not going 0-16. If we go 4-12 again... That still will be pretty concerning, especially if the games aren't close

20 points consistently? How bout we do it once first.

As long as Blake Bortles stays relatively healthy,   I'll be shocked if the Jaguars finish 0-16 or come close to that record.   A major reason why the Lions went 0-16 in 2008 was the numerous injuries at QB that season.   An illustration of that was what transpired in the Jaguars one sided win over the Lions at Ford Field that season.   Also,  even though Bortles lacks much NFL experience,  he has much more ability than any of the Lions 2008 QB's.  

I still believe the Jaguars are going to give the team's fan base tangible reasons for optimism for 2015.

Quote:I still believe the Jaguars are going to give the team's fan base tangible reasons for optimism for 2015.
This is the bottom line.  That's all I really want out of this season.  If we win 4 games or fewer, however, it will be tough to see through questioning the front office, even if Blake looks like the real deal.  We'll see.

Quote:Hurricane, U are one sorry A--

[Image: damn-o.gif] GIFSoup

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

The big difference is the Lions were on the way down. This team is clearly not on the same path.

Quote:The big difference is the Lions were on the way down. This team is clearly not on the same path.
I don't know how clear that is tbh.

Quote:As long as Blake Bortles stays relatively healthy,   I'll be shocked if the Jaguars finish 0-16 or come close to that record.   A major reason why the Lions went 0-16 in 2008 was the numerous injuries at QB that season.   An illustration of that was what transpired in the Jaguars one sided win over the Lions at Ford Field that season.   Also,  even though Bortles lacks much NFL experience,  he has much more ability than any of the Lions 2008 QB's.  

I still believe the Jaguars are going to give the team's fan base tangible reasons for optimism for 2015.

D6 you saw the 2008 Lions team first hand. Do you think we are better than they were?

Quote:D6 you saw the 2008 Lions team first hand. Do you think we are better than they were?

JAGANTIUS,   there were several games in 2008 that the Lions were very competitive.   The week # 5 loss at Minnesota that season probably would have been a win if not for a highly questionable pass Interference Penalty on CB Leigh Bodden.    In several other games though,   including the loss to the Jaguars in which MJD had 3 TD's,   the Lions had the look of an 0-16 team.  Rock bottom was either the Thanksgiving Day loss to Tennessee or the Game # 15 home loss to New Orleans.   Drew Brees and the Saints Offense was unstoppable that afternoon.   The only time the Saints Offense didn't score was when the QB took a knee on the last series of downs.  

While the trade of WR Roy Williams to Dallas was a great decision by then interim / now GM Martin Mayhew,  that trade likely was the difference in the Lions not winning at least one game.   Other than Calvin Johnson and HOF caliber K Jason Hanson,   the Lions didn't have any high caliber players.   There were some above average players that bordered on good players but the overall talent was lacking.    I give then HC Rod Marinelli credit for not losing the team that season,  despite the injury and talent situation.   The situation in the Secondary,  excluding Bodden,  was so bad that only 1 DB was back with the team in 2009 when Jim Schwartz became HC.    It wasn't Bodden,  who the Lions decided not to keep because of his contract.

I believe the current Jaguars have more to work with than the Lions team that was typically on the field in 2008.   Especially regarding the potential of Blake Bortles,  a WR corp that has much more depth than the post Roy Williams trade corp had,  and a much better Defensive Line situation.   DT Cory Redding and then rookie DE Cliff Avril were the best the Lions had up front.   DE Dewayne White had his moments.   After that,  there's wasn't much.     Other than Calvin Johnson,  the advantage the 2008 Lions had was having a veteran LT ( Jeff Backus ) and C ( Dominic Raiola- who is still a starter with the Lions ) that provided stability.   Yet,  that was the only season that Raiola missed multiple games ( 4 ) because of injury,    It proved costly,  as that combined with a revolving QB situation because of injuries made a bad situation that much worse.

The 2014 Jaguars are an evolving team that has more young talent than the 2008 Lions did.    That's why I think there's a good chance that the Jaguars will get better as this season goes along and provide the tangible results the Lions failed to provide in 2008.   

Quote:I don't know how clear that is tbh.

The best comparison I can make is with the exception of Calvin Johnson and Jason Hanson,  the Lions looked like an expansion team in 2009 that had a potential rookie Franchise QB in Matthew Stafford.   There was a revolving roster,  with waiver claims being the norm in the off-season,  summer,  and regular season.   

The Jaguars were at this stage in the 2013 season but to their credit found a way to win 4 games in the 2nd half of the season.    This despite the Jaguars probably having less talent than any of their opponents.  

From a talent standpoint,  I think the Jaguars passed this stage in 2014.   Injuries have certainly slowed the progress of the team.   But as the team gains more experience and cohesiveness,   I do believe that the Jaguars will provide hope in the coming weeks and months that the 2015 season will be much better.    Of course, time will tell if this indeed becomes the case.   There's so many variables in the NFL that none of us can predict. 

Still would love to have Megatron...tough loss against the bills D6 but your boys will bounce back