Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Better defensively ?

Despite all the doom and gloom (yes, we all want to be winning games...) I think you'd have to agree that the defense was a lot better last night.

If you take away the game-changing pick six (we can't blame that one on the defense) then they only allowed ten points and one touchdown all game.

So who played well on that side of the ball today ? Surely someone did !

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Demetrius McCray certainly did. He was all over Antonio Brown, the guy we thought would be unstoppable.

Abry Jones made me wonder why he is not playing more in the defensive line rotation. What  Blake Bortles did on the next play does not take away his forced fumble.

Was 1 game. Dont overreact. But yeah, was the lone positive. Not about to say "improvement" based on a game tho.

Quote:Was 1 game. Dont overreact. But yeah, was the lone positive. Not about to say "improvement" based on a game tho.

Lone positive? What about three field goals?

Sarcasm, right?

Abry Jones. Sen'Derrick Marks, Paul Poszlusny, Alan Ball, and Chris Clemons all made plays.  Some of them gave up plays as well - but all of those guys made meaningful plays.

Holding the Steelers to 10 isn't the top of the mountain - but it's a start.  Unfortunately every team in the league already has been provided a blueprint showing how to pick apart our zone coverage -  so this may be the least amount of points they allow until that scheme gets a tweak. 

There were still way too many missed tackles though. They might have held one of the best rushing teams to under 100 yds on the ground had three or four of those missed tackles been executed properly. 

I definitely want to see tackling improve, but as a unit, they all played better this week.

Another week without a single INT though. That has to change.

They need a short field on occasion

Ball plays Poor off coverage. He Starts like 10 yards off then just retreats. Much better when attacking the receiver

Demetrius McCray was pretty impressive. He was graded positively in coverage by PFF. Targeted 6 times (5 to Antonio Brown), allowed 3 completions for 32 yards and had that nice pass defence. I was happy to see him play well. Sometimes you need to get lucky and land difference makers late in the drafted or undrafted free agency. Hopefully we have something in McCray.

Didn't allow any 40+ yard TD's. 

Seriously, though....Defense played freakin' amazing compared to the rest of the year.  Let's give them some props.  Only allowed 10 points, got pressure on Big Ben, got a turnover.  I'll take that every stinking day and twice on Sundays.

Now we get to criticize the offense this week. lol!

One of these years.............

I hope this a turning point for the D . The offense will grow . To bad Blake doesn't have a vet TE and WR to lean on.

Quote:Abry Jones. Sen'Derrick Marks, Paul Poszlusny, Alan Ball, and Chris Clemons all made plays.  Some of them gave up plays as well - but all of those guys made meaningful plays.

Holding the Steelers to 10 isn't the top of the mountain - but it's a start.  Unfortunately every team in the league already has been provided a blueprint showing how to pick apart our zone coverage -  so this may be the least amount of points they allow until that scheme gets a tweak. 

There were still way too many missed tackles though. They might have held one of the best rushing teams to under 100 yds on the ground had three or four of those missed tackles been executed properly.

To this I agree...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Abry Jones. Sen'Derrick Marks, Paul Poszlusny, Alan Ball, and Chris Clemons all made plays.  Some of them gave up plays as well - but all of those guys made meaningful plays.

To this I agree...

NH3...
Quote:Demetrius McCray was pretty impressive. He was graded positively in coverage by PFF. Targeted 6 times (5 to Antonio Brown), allowed 3 completions for 32 yards and had that nice pass defence. I was happy to see him play well. Sometimes you need to get lucky and land difference makers late in the drafted or undrafted free agency. Hopefully we have something in McCray.

I too feel that McCray is the man of the future...

NH3...
"AZANE"

I really think McCray did great against Brown. I thought he would go off. Really our D did very good to limit him and Bell. I mean they gave up some yards and a touchdown but it could have been far worse. Hopefully they keep it up and get better.

For going against a top 10 offense I'd say that played better for sure. There were a few broken plays at the end but nothing serious.

Throw in the pressure/sacks that the line has gotten this year and I think it's safe to say the group is improving.

Quote:I hope this a turning point for the D . The offense will grow . To bad Blake doesn't have a vet TE and WR to lean on.

Blake Bortles can lean on Cecil Shorts when he is healthy and Marcedes Lewis will be back after the bye week. But he seems to be doing fine with Allen Robinson and Clay Harbor.

Quote:Blake Bortles can lean on Cecil Shorts when he is healthy and Marcedes Lewis will be back after the bye week. But he seems to be doing fine with Allen Robinson and Clay Harbor.

So basically, Cecil Shorts is gonna be used as a crutch.. A crutch that needs crutches..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Would have been nice if they had called holding on the guy blocking Branch(I think) when the guy nearly horsecollared Branch(from the front of his jersey) as he was about to swipe Ben's arm for a fumble inside the 15 yard line I think. Literally may have won us the game if they called it, and it was incredibly obvious. There was another serious missed holding call a little earlier too(maybe caused by Jones?). The Jags get the worse refs in the league. I mean everyone holds a little bit, but those 2 were ridiculous.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Quote:So basically, Cecil Shorts is gonna be used as a crutch.. A crutch that needs crutches..
If he piles up enough crutches he could out jump anyone. I dont think the league would allow it.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol