Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
McCray should remain the starter

Quote:McCray playing decent in one game should not discourage the team from targeting a new, better CB in the draft

That's true.

McCray will get plenty of opportunity to showcase his talents.

He was pretty good last year against the Seahawks IIRC.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:McCray playing decent in one game should not discourage the team from targeting a new, better CB in the draft

I just heard Caldwell has told his scouts to no longer watch college cornerbacks because McCray played well Sunday.

;

;

Lol who said that, badger? That's a mighty illogical leap

Quote:Lol who said that, badger? That's a mighty illogical leap
whoosh

Quote:Even with a healthy Gratz, I feel that McCray has earned a starting spot in the limited time he's played.

No real badly blown coverages, and did a pretty good job with Antonio Brown as well.

Discuss
I think that's been their plan all along once they recognized  that Gratz just isn't a thinker out there.  From what I understand, when they have Colvin on the field, they want to see McCray lining up as the other starter, and Gratz will be the nickel guy. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I think that's been their plan all along once they recognized  that Gratz just isn't a thinker out there.  From what I understand, when they have Colvin on the field, they want to see McCray lining up as the other starter, and Gratz will be the nickel guy. 
FWIW  -  Today's O-Zone:

Quote:<div>- Any chance we see Gratz taking snaps at the nickel spot in the near future? Seems they are playing lots of nickel and 
Will Blackmon 
hasn't been exactly stellar out there.

John: I wouldn’t rule it out.

</div>

Blackmon was by far our worst DB on Sunday.

;

;

Quote:Blackmon was by far our worst DB on Sunday.

Yeah, Blackmon may be the next casualty on defense. Which is unfortunate because I like the guy.

Quote: 

FWIW  -  Today's O-Zone:

<div> 

</div>

ha, John O didn't really reveal anything with that

Quote:Yeah, Blackmon may be the next casualty on defense. Which is unfortunate because I like the guy.

I agree.  He's just a step behind this year in coverage too often.  

Quote:whoosh
darnit lol

but yeah, Blackmon is horrible

Quote:He made a few plays - he left a few out there. All in all - not bad.  If FBT is to be believed - they are grooming Gratz for the slot (nickel) anyway - so this would be the natural next step. Colvin could potentially take Ball's place if he's not re-signed. 

Wouldn't hate that scenario - makes sense on paper.  As long as they draft a stud at FS - this alignment may work fine to solidify this young secondary.  
Grooming him for a nickel back? You dont groom someone to be a nickel back in the same manner you dont groom a guy to be a 3rd down back or a backup QB.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Quote:Grooming him for a nickel back? You dont groom someone to be a nickel back in the same manner you dont groom a guy to be a 3rd down back or a backup QB.
Wrong choice of words.  They intend to move him to nickel in place of Blackmon who seems to have lost a step.  Not grooming him - but "have a contingency plan for him." My mistake. 

But -  you really should reconsider your outlook on nickel backs in this particular scheme. It has more value here than in other defenses. Will Blackmon was on the field for 62 snaps this week.   49 snaps the week prior.  It's nowhere near the same zip code as 'backup QB' as you suggest. 

Some of this is their lack of trust in their OLBs to cover at the moment, but Gus utilizes the nickel a bit differently and a bit more than most. 

It's still disappointing that Gratz hasn't been able to improve over last year. We'll see if he comes back playing better than what he showed earlier this year.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:It's still disappointing that Gratz hasn't been able to improve over last year. We'll see if he comes back playing better than what he showed earlier this year.
Yes. It's a major disappointment.

My stab in the dark armchair analysis on it:

Playing more press and man last year than they have this year suited him much better. He doesn't seem to have the knack for playing off the L.O.S. and determining his responsibility in the softer zone.  They played plenty of zone last year - but unless I'm mistaken it really seemed they had the corners up on the line more often and not passing off to the safeties so frequently or quickly. Teams being forced to scheme against Seattle and having the additional postseason film to study them hasn't done our D any favors either - since we are a watered down version with less talent and lots of youth. 

There's also a chance that nickel is a good place for him. He has shown a willingness to hit and usually tackles well. If McCray continues to grow into his role - I'd be fine with that move. Blackmon will be 30 this month and his contract is not a large one. They could keep him as depth. So - the younger Gratz at nickel may happen before the season is up. 

If McCray continues to play press D at the position he's a lock at the position. If Colvin plays up to to the potential that the Jaguars feel he can play, then we'll have two Lock Down corners at the position.

I'm seriously estatic about the two w/respect to their potential performances as a Jaguar CB...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Too Late...

We drafted Colvin in the fourth round of the 2014 draft. The future CB is already on our team...

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

McCray could be out Cortland Finnegan. They have similar body types and styles of play. They were also both 7th rounders.

Quote:McCray could be out Cortland Finnegan. They have similar body types and styles of play. They were also both 7th rounders.

Will he also get beat up by Andre Johnson?

Huh

Quote:Will he also get beat up by Andre Johnson?
I enjoyed watching that. A lot.