Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Positive: Jags are currently #2 in the league for sacks, last 2 seasons have been last.

A lot of negatives about the defense this season but the amount of sacks is a huge positive. I feel like the D-line is a big positive this year, it's a shame the secondary are busting plays.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Its crazy how the last 7 years or so the QB, WR, and pass rush were the weakest link on our team and now its our strengths and everything else sucks

I think this is definitely a positive. When you factor in that we've been trailing most games, its even more telling sign. That said, it hasn't been a constant rush though.

And to the people who say it's because the defense is on the field longer. (I've heard this said more than once)  That logic has holes in it.  For one, the defense has been on the field for long periods for the past few years and haven't generated much sacks.  So no direct correlation. Secondly, teams with great offenses are typically passed on more than teams that can't generate an offense, which also creates a contradiction.    Thirdly being on the field longer if anything wears a defense down making it harder to stay fresh and have the energy to rush the passer.

So basically, yea the sack total is nothing but a positive.  

Giving up a ridiculous amount of explosive plays always at the wrong times is what is making the defense look bad like the OP said.  

Quote:Its crazy how the last 7 years or so the QB, WR, and pass rush were the weakest link on our team and now its our strengths and everything else sucks

Strong safety is not bad either unless Cyprien gets hurt. Unfortunately, that already happened this season.

Wide receivers began to improve when Mike Mularkey hired Jerry Sullivan, but obviously Caldwell's good drafting helped us at that position.

The other irony is we used to have the NFL's best rushing offense and now it is one of the worst. I miss the 2011 MJD.

I'm sure if we look back on those sacks, most of them were coverage sacks and not the result of pressure.  :teehee:

The ability to rush the passer is there, as Speedy said though, it could definitely stand to be more consistent. Pressure is supposed to make it easier for the DBs to do their job. Last year our defensive was the exact opposite of what it currently is. I seriously hope they start meeting somewhere in the middle in the near future.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I'm sure if we look back on those sacks, most of them were coverage sacks and not the result of pressure.

The ability to rush the passer is there, as Speedy said though, it could definitely stand to be more consistent. Pressure is supposed to make it easier for the DBs to do their job. Last year our defensive was the exact opposite of what it currently is. I seriously hope they start meeting somewhere in the middle in the near future.

I don't care if it is a coveragd sack. Anytime we knock down the quarterback when the ball is in his hand, I am happy.

Defensive what? We had the same defensive tackles (Marks and Miller). So it is not the line. All four defensive back positions are the same too, so it is not that either.

Quote:Strong safety is not bad either unless Cyprien gets hurt. Unfortunately, that already happened this season.

Wide receivers began to improve when Mike Mularkey hired Jerry Sullivan, but obviously Caldwell's good drafting helped us at that position.

The other irony is we used to have the NFL's best rushing offense and now it is one of the worst. I miss the 2011 MJD.
Cyp is good but the secondary still sucks

Quote:I'm sure if we look back on those sacks, most of them were coverage sacks and not the result of pressure.  :teehee:

Not even coverage sacks, more like QB holds the ball too long sacks. Plus the other team has all the possession because of all of Henne's 3 and outs so the defense gets extra runs at guys that start holding the ball too long thinking every play can be a deep pass.

The pass rush is a bit improved, and that's good, but it's not as good as the current rank makes it seem.

Quote:Not even coverage sacks, more like QB holds the ball too long sacks. Plus the other team has all the possession because of all of Henne's 3 and outs so the defense gets extra runs at guys that start holding the ball too long thinking every play can be a deep pass.

The pass rush is a bit improved, and that's good, but it's not as good as the current rank makes it seem.

Agreed

Andre Branch = BeastMode !!!

Quick -- trade him now for JJ Watt and a 1st round draft pick.   Heck, I'm willing to throw in Boselli too.

Quote:Defensive what? We had the same defensive tackles (Marks and Miller). So it is not the line. All four defensive back positions are the same too, so it is not that either.

Meant to type "defense" JW. My fingers are not working properly today...at all. My apologies.

My point was, last year our DBs seemed to cover pretty well but had to do so for too long due to lack of pressure which led to our opponents moving the ball. Now, there seems to be at least a respectable amount of pressure being generated (albeit inconsistently) and now our DBs can't seem to cover anyone or anything.

That, to me, makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

At least we aren't going to be that team with less than 20 sacks again. That was embarrassing. No matter how they get them doesn't matter, as long as they keep it up. Just wish the secondary would help the line out a little.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Our Sack Percentage is still 5th.  So that's pretty good really.  So the idea that we're on the field longer doesn't really matter too much.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:At least we aren't going to be that team with less than 20 sacks again. That was embarrassing. No matter how they get them doesn't matter, as long as they keep it up. Just wish the secondary would help the line out a little.

14 was bad that year, we almost set the all time record for sacks in a season.  I'm sure over the last several years we do own the record for avg sacks per season.

If we would have kept Henne, we may be able to get more sacks then meaningful 1st downs.  Let's define meaningful as 1st downs when losing by less than 17.

Quote:Our Sack Percentage is still 5th.  So that's pretty good really. So the idea that we're on the field longer doesn't really matter too much.

Wrong. If the defense is on the field longer, the Steelers will score more points than us and we lose. Why do you think time of possession battles are so important?

Plus it is not an idea. It is an indisputable fact that the defense is on the field longer. And with an offense like ours, that is never a good thing.

I am starting to wonder if Wayne Weaver sold the  Jaguars soul to the devil.   We can never get the stars to align right.  The secondary played well but the pass rush was awful now the pass rush is good and the secondary sucks.  Ugh

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I am starting to wonder if Wayne Weaver sold the Jaguars soul to the devil.  We can never get the stars to align right. The secondary played well but the pass rush was awful now the pass rush is good and the secondary sucks.  Ugh.

Do you really think Shahid Khan is trying to make the Jaguars suck? I have only read good things about him. He is my favorite team owner.

Quote:Do you really think Shahid Khan is trying to make the Jaguars suck? I have only read good things about him. He is my favorite team owner.
Where did I mention him?

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]