Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Players are losing their jobs as we watch these blowouts

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 08:04 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote:So are we a Potroast and Daryl Smith away from getting some wins?

Guarantee you Daryl Smith would help this defense. He's way better than Posluszny, and can play multiple LB positions. Letting him go was a very dumb move.

[Image: 20121220-DSmith.jpg]

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Pot roast? Really? Do people forget his last year with the Jags? Daryl Smith is the only one I agree with, Pot Roast was trash in his final year and Cox was injured all the time.

I love that the staff is doing what they're doing. Sure it sucks for guys to lose jobs but this is a results business and players giving up big plays (Bradfield and Guy) need to get off the team. These aren't rookies making rookie mistakes, these are guys who have been in the league for a few years.
He had a bad game and was benched for almost the rest of the year by the coach of a 2-14 team after multiple years of being the dominant force on the DLine.

Anyone that says Potroast deserved to be benched and be allowed to walk in free agency either fed into the Mularkey hype machine or was seriously not a fan until Knighton's last year here.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

I have to admit, our Defense has seen brighter days.

Daryl was one of my fav's

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Let's hope Bortles doesn't make a mistake... He might be cut if he does.

Quote:Let's hope Bortles doesn't make a mistake... He might be cut if he does.

The difference as someone already pointed out is that the guys who are getting cut are players who've been in the league for a few years now. They aren't rookies but are making rookie mistakes.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:well I hope they show up on Sunday and not Monday...

That's my bad man. HAHA. I thought we had a MNF game this year for some reason against the Steelers. I must be living in the past when this team was good.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Geno Hayes? Gratz? Clemons? There's a few off the top of my head.

They're not cutting any of them.  If you think they are then I don't know what to say.  

Clemons has been inconsistent, but he's the free agent passrusher pickup.  Hayes is one of the LB's who has actually not played badly this whole time.  Gratz is a second year guy who was one of our top half picks last year.  

Quote:Guarantee you Daryl Smith would help this defense. He's way better than Posluszny, and can play multiple LB positions. Letting him go was a very dumb move.

Agreed that smith would help this defense BUT he wasn't worth the major amount of money he was asking and as such he got a reality check in FA. He was like Cox and Knighton, Not worth the cash they were asking (ignoring the fact that Cox fell off the planet skill wise after he left)

Caldwell has made a ton of good FA moves. Clemons might be his first FA bust though (FA bust = paying player a ton of money and him not producing)

I don't get the Caldwell hate. Just look at how many of his draft picks and fa pickups are starting just two years into it. I doubt any other team in the league has as many players from last two drafts starting. That tells you two things: this roster was absolute trash and he knows what he's doing.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 10:39 AM by FJohnson.)

How about any one of these guys:
</li>
</ul>

Quote:I don't get the Caldwell hate. Just look at how many of his draft picks and fa pickups are starting just two years into it. I doubt any other team in the league has as many players from last two drafts starting. That tells you two things: this roster was absolute trash and he knows what he's doing.

Other teams in the league don't have as many rookies starting because they have better rosters.  It doesn't tell me that all of these rookies and 2nd year players are good.  That's a false assumption.  They're starters on the worst team in football.  The reason for the Caldwell hate is that this roster is so epically bad, and we are losing worse than we were 2 years ago.  Granted we purged, but still, we purged some quality players just because they  weren't "long term building blocks" like Eugene Monroe and Daryl Smith.  These aren't guys we're gonna build around, but we still should be looking at having a decent roster while we re-build.  Competing short term and competing long term are NOT mutually exclusive goals.  We can and SHOULD be trying to do both.  I feel like they've just said, ah screw it for these last 2 years.  It's a slap in the face to fans.

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:They're not cutting any of them. If you think they are then I don't know what to say.

Clemons has been inconsistent, but he's the free agent passrusher pickup. Hayes is one of the LB's who has actually not played badly this whole time. Gratz is a second year guy who was one of our top half picks last year.
Cut? No. Benching? A possibility.

If Gratz continues to struggle or if McCray shines while Gratz is out a permanent change is possible. Besides an excellent first quarter of the season opener Clemons has been invisible. Both Branch and Davis have outperformed him. Hayes is just a guy and has had his share of missed tackles and assignments along with the rest of the defense.

Change is in order and if the play doesn't step up there may be more change to come.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Other teams in the league don't have as many rookies starting because they have better rosters.  It doesn't tell me that all of these rookies and 2nd year players are good.  That's a false assumption.  They're starters on the worst team in football.  The reason for the Caldwell hate is that this roster is so epically bad, and we are losing worse than we were 2 years ago.  Granted we purged, but still, we purged some quality players just because they  weren't "long term building blocks" like Eugene Monroe and Daryl Smith.  These aren't guys we're gonna build around, but we still should be looking at having a decent roster while we re-build.  Competing short term and competing long term are NOT mutually exclusive goals.  We can and SHOULD be trying to do both.  I feel like they've just said, ah screw it for these last 2 years.  It's a slap in the face to fans.

What exactly should Caldwell have done?

There's only so much been available to him.  Remember when we were desperate for a WR?  I'd say our WR depth chart is pretty good right now.  With a good QB on top of it.  Gerhart was a mistake, but every GM in the league makes mistakes.  You would be hard pressed to find one that doesn't.  

This team lacked talent when Dave got here.  We haven't really gotten worse so much as all the other teams have gotten better, while we've purged and pruned.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM by Jags437.)

Quote:What exactly should Caldwell have done?

There's only so much been available to him.  Remember when we were desperate for a WR?  I'd say our WR depth chart is pretty good right now.  With a good QB on top of it.  Gerhart was a mistake, but every GM in the league makes mistakes.  You would be hard pressed to find one that doesn't.  

This team lacked talent when Dave got here.  We haven't really gotten worse so much as all the other teams have gotten better, while we've purged and pruned.  

I don't know what he should have done.  How long is the build process though.  How long does he get a pass. 

By definition, if all teams have gotten better and we have stayed the same, then we have gotten worse.

Quote:Guarantee you Daryl Smith would help this defense. He's way better than Posluszny, and can play multiple LB positions. Letting him go was a very dumb move.

[Image: 20121220-DSmith.jpg]

I don't understand this sentiment, Daryl Smith is a 32 year old linebacker that has struggled mightily in pass coverage this year, he wouldn't have helped this defense. As much as I like and respect what he did here in Jacksonville, he's clearly not the answer, the answer lies in the 2015-2016 draft.

Maybe I sound bitter, but I used to be one to never question the coaches/GM.  Now I realize that just because you're employed by an NFL team, doesn't mean you really know what you're doing.

Quote:Maybe I sound bitter, but I used to be one to never question the coaches/GM.  Now I realize that just because you're employed by an NFL team, doesn't mean you really know what you're doing.

Vito gets bashed for saying this all the time but I have started to think that it's true: The Draft is mostly about luck.

Doesn't matter, at some point, the General Manager and Headcoach are only going to be able to throw so many bodies under the bus. At some point, once you're done disposing of the "issues" on your roster. You're ultimately left alone, looking right at the root cause in the mirror.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."