Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An honest view at our start this year

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 02:50 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

Hey everyone, I think we all are highly disappointed with our start this year; especially with so much promise going into it. However, looking back and taking an unbiased look at our team, do we really think the season should have started differently? I was one of those people after the draft and after training camp, was thinking, "Man, we have more talent and are in a weak division. We could make a splash.". When we opened the season, the first half beating down Foles and the eagles on every level, my excitement peaked (which started all the disappointment). The 2nd half began and our "true" season has been the same ever since.

I understand everyone saying they are tired of this and being at the bottom of the barrel. I understand everyone who says we are digressing instead of progressing. I too, see these things happening to an extent. But as with last year, with so many new faces, the gelling and coming all together will take time. Time to fans who have supported this team, may not feel should be given. However, we all understood where our team was from the get-go. I think we all agree our team is in much better hands with Bortles at the helm. But his progression will take time and he will make errors that he will learn from; see yesterdays game. He made brilliant plays, but made terrible ones as well. His competitiveness and not being a scared little baby like our previous QBs will help him progress instead of digress.

I see everyone already turning on the coaching staff. I agree that they have not been as dependable or consistent this year; so doubt is settling in. But we need to look at them as we do players. This is Gus's first rodeo (2nd year of the rodeo). He will make mistakes as well and hopefully learn from them. Jedd's play calling is the most concerning that I can see. If the play calling does not improve going forward (remember, they said they had to dumb the play calls down because of mental errors and player mistakes though), he could very well be replaced. I don't see Gus or Dave getting a hot seat yet. We were given notice that this would be a 3-4 year plan. And they are sticking to it. We might not see the results yet (and how can we expect that after a full rebuild?), but as the season progresses, I think we will see more improvement. Obviously, we are still missing many pieces. Some pieces we might not have expected (Poz, DBs, LBs, hell, the whole defense).

I write this because I see us (even myself) falling back to old form when the season begins as it always does (seems that way doesn't it Sad ) and saying this person has to go and that person has to go. We're four games into the season and played 4 really good teams. We aren't where we want to be, but we still have the arrow pointing up. Keep the faith!

GO JAGS!!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Hey everyone, I think we all are highly disappointed with our start this year; especially with so much promise going into it. However, looking back and taking an unbiased look at our team, do we really think the season should have started differently? I was one of those people after the draft and after training camp, was thinking, "Man, we have more talent and are in a weak division. We could make a splash.". When we opened the season, the first half beating down Foles and the eagles on every level, my excitement peaked (which started all the disappointment). The 2nd half began and our "true" season has been the same ever since.

I understand everyone saying they are tired of this and being at the bottom of the barrel. I understand everyone who says we are digressing instead of progressing. I too, see these things happening to an extent. But as with last year, with so many new faces, the gelling and coming all together will take time. Time to fans who have supported this team, may not feel should be given. However, we all understood where our team was from the get-go. I think we all agree our team is in much better hands with Bortles at the helm. But his progression will take time and he will make errors that he will learn from; see yesterdays game. He made brilliant plays, but made terrible ones as well. His competitiveness and not being a scared little baby like our previous QBs will help him progress instead of digress.

I see everyone already turning on the coaching staff. I agree that they have not been as dependable or consistent this year; so doubt is settling in. But we need to look at them as we do players. This is Gus's first rodeo (2nd year of the rodeo). He will make mistakes as well and hopefully learn from them. Jedd's play calling is the most concerning that I can see. If the play calling does not improve going forward (remember, they said they had to dumb the play calls down because of mental errors and player mistakes though), he could very well be replaced. I don't see Gus or Dave getting a hot seat yet. We were given notice that this would be a 3-4 year plan. And they are sticking to it. We might not see the results yet (and how can we expect that after a full rebuild?), but as the season progresses, I think we will see more improvement. Obviously, we are still missing many pieces. Some pieces we might have expected (Poz, DBs, LBs, hell, the whole defense).

I write this because I see us (even myself) falling back to old form when the season begins as it always does (seems that way doesn't it Sad ) and saying this person has to go and that person has to go. We're four games into the season and played 4 really good teams. We aren't where we want to be, but we still have the arrow pointing up. Keep the faith!

GO JAGS!!

We just faced a murderers' row of opponents. At best we were looking at being 1-3. The schedule softens up a bit until the bye so hopefully we'll get a chance to see what this team can do.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:We just faced a murderers' row of opponents. At best we were looking at being 1-3. The schedule softens up a bit until the bye so hopefully we'll get a chance to see what this team can do.
3 of those 4 teams will make the playoffs. The Skins game was really ugly but that was before Bortles.

Quote:We just faced a murderers' row of opponents. At best we were looking at being 1-3. The schedule softens up a bit until the bye so hopefully we'll get a chance to see what this team can do.

I don't think I'd call them a murderer's row....There were 3 good teams in there, but perhaps they just looked good because we looked so bad?

One of these years.............

Quote:3 of those 4 teams will make the playoffs. The Skins game was really ugly but that was before Bortles.

Most level headed fans see that.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I think it's a cop out to rationalize losing the way we have just by saying that we're playing playoff teams.  I hate to break it to everyone, but even bad teams don't get humiliated for 4 games in a row like we did, regardless of who they are playing.  We are historically bad.

Either that, or I need to get a swig of whatever you're drinking.

One of these years.............

You said it best. It just takes time. I hate that we have to watch blow outs and we are 4-16 in the process but this stuff takes time to come together. All I say is enjoy the ride and be happy we get to see it come from the ground up.

I think most fans had a realistic view of this season (meaning most didnt expect a Post Season performance from the Jaguars) but I dont think many fans expected our Defense to be so horrible .... thats the real shock...

Quote:I think it's a cop out to rationalize losing the way we have just by saying that we're playing playoff teams. I hate to break it to everyone, but even bad teams don't get humiliated for 4 games in a row like we did, regardless of who they are playing. We are historically bad.

Either that, or I need to get a swig of whatever you're drinking.

Philly is playoff bound and was 3-0 until this week. Luck is playing out of his mind and Rivers is having a career year and is fresh off beating the defending SB champs. Right now he's flirting with MVP status. It'll get better because it cant get much worse right?

Quote:Philly is playoff bound and was 3-0 until this week. Luck is playing out of his mind and Rivers is having a career year and is fresh off beating the defending SB champs. Right now he's flirting with MVP status. It'll get better because it cant get much worse right?

Add in also that they had to travel to San Diego and play them at home. San Diego is a darn good team and Rivers is one of the better QBs they will face. I don't think the Eagles are that good at this point but that's debatable. Andrew Luck is putting up crazy numbers thus far too.

Things will get better now that Bortles is playing. The more he plays and learns the better.

Eagles are an upper level team. Even with the loss they just received from the 9ers. Still a top team. Playoff bound for sure.

Skins are a good team, with a lot of pieces, still trying to figure things out at their QB position (RG3 or Cousins?)... but clearly a better team than us.

Clots are an upper level team. Much like the Eagles and while their D won't allow them to just run over everyone, Luck makes them a perennial playoff team for the next decade or so.

The Chargers are a top 5 AFC team. A good defense and an under-hyped QB in Rivers. Even with their 3rd string RB they still moved the ball effectively and mostly at will.

Few teams could come out of that run with a winning record. Even fewer that have a rookie QB, mostly rookie linemen, mostly rookie WRs and a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players sprinkled in.

I'm not worried about being 0-4. I'm not even mad. I knew it would happen. I knew they'd start Henne to spite themselves. I knew Blake wouldn't be the answer to be all.

And I know we'll eventually win a few games.

Looking at the remaining schedule Pitt is winnable (Hell the Bucs did it)

The tacks haven't really impressed.

Browns and Phins are up and down....

An honest view on the start of the season would be "expected results".

An honest outlook is kind of like a weather forecast. Grey skies, clearing later. Chance of pop up or isolated wins.

Quote:Eagles are an upper level team. Even with the loss they just received from the 9ers. Still a top team. Playoff bound for sure.

Skins are a good team, with a lot of pieces, still trying to figure things out at their QB position (RG3 or Cousins?)... but clearly a better team than us.

Clots are an upper level team. Much like the Eagles and while their D won't allow them to just run over everyone, Luck makes them a perennial playoff team for the next decade or so.

The Chargers are a top 5 AFC team. A good defense and an under-hyped QB in Rivers. Even with their 3rd string RB they still moved the ball effectively and mostly at will.

Few teams could come out of that run with a winning record. Even fewer that have a rookie QB, mostly rookie linemen, mostly rookie WRs and a lot of 2nd and 3rd year players sprinkled in.

I'm not worried about being 0-4. I'm not even mad. I knew it would happen. I knew they'd start Henne to spite themselves. I knew Blake wouldn't be the answer to be all.

And I know we'll eventually win a few games.

Looking at the remaining schedule Pitt is winnable (Hell the Bucs did it)

The tacks haven't really impressed.

Browns and Phins are up and down....

An honest view on the start of the season would be "expected results".

An honest outlook is kind of like a weather forecast. Grey skies, clearing later. Chance of pop up or isolated wins.

Completely disagree but that's part of human nature.

It's not so much that we are 0-4.... It's in the way we are losing.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Completely disagree but that's part of human nature.

It's not so much that we are 0-4.... It's in the way we are losing.
So 3 of the 4 teams we faced aren't playoff teams?

Or the fact that the roster is full of rookies and 2nd year players doesn't add to the fact that we're 0-4?

I'm just trying to understand the word completely as you have used it.

From time to time all teams get blown out, yes.  However, this has not happened to those teams on the consistent basis that we have become accustomed to.  

There are a lot of factors we can point to that would explain how this continues to happen to us, but they are excuses without tangible solutions:  We're a young team - so are the Seahawks.  We were on the road - so were the 0 and 3 Colts.  We're building from a dismal team last year - so are the Texans - so were the Chiefs before them - so were the Colts before them.

Bortles and our offense show improvement, so long as they can stay healthy and keep their noses clean, (Ace).  However, there is no help coming for our defense, and our offense is not the kind that can simply out score an opponent while we leave our back field completely empty.  It does not look to me that it is merely communication issues, an ability to grasp the playbook, or our boys needing to gel after 4 weeks of consistent blow outs.  I don't even think it's the play calling.  It's a dearth of talent.  

I do think we will look better in the coming weeks playing against weaker teams and at home (Steelers, Browns.)  We will win some games this season, but I still see us targeting the #1 pick in 2015.  I hope we will use our high draft pick to trade for multiple later round picks to plug our many holes and add depth to our lines and our secondary, (although it's hard not to want Gurley after seeing Gerhart's potential dwindle so quickly.)  Still that puts us with valuable spots filled by even more rookies in the year to come, who will also need time to communicate, grasp the playbook, gel etc.

What's frustrating isn't that we're not improving, it's that it's taking much longer than anyone expected, and far longer than we deserve.  We should have been a legitimate team this year, not lending an unending preseason match up to the rest of the league.  I don't mind losing, but how can we not predict to see more blow outs to the Bengals, the Cowboys, the Giants, and the Ravens?

I had believed we would have a losing season this year with closely fought games and a winning season next year.  By all accounts, it looks like we will see closer games next year and should not expect a winning season until 2016.  I'm not trying to be negative, I'm attempting to be pragmatic after all I have seen.

Quote:So 3 of the 4 teams we faced aren't playoff teams?

Or the fact that the roster is full of rookies and 2nd year players doesn't add to the fact that we're 0-4?

I'm just trying to understand the word completely as you have used it.
I completely disagree that this is what we should have expected. I'm alright with losing 4 games, I'm not alright with losing by this amount each and every week.

We couldn't even keep it close against a single team there, which isn't what I was expecting.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Booty suck bad.. Best I can explain it..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:I completely disagree that this is what we should have expected. I'm alright with losing 4 games, I'm not alright with losing by this amount each and every week.

We couldn't even keep it close against a single team there, which isn't what I was expecting.
Fair enough...

I didn't expect to get blown out in ridiculous fashion.

Although, with Henne at the helm, I wasn't exactly surprised.

What has been surprising is the 17-0 Lead in game 1 that our D helped us get.

And the 17-14 Showdown last week at halftime...

All of which led to NOTHING happening in the second half.

I'm surprised that it seems our team forgot football is a 60 minute game.

Although... you can cherry pick these games apart too. If he catches this ball, or if this guy makes that play here, totally different game.

And there is some truth to that. If Bortles gets that 4th down around the 50 earlier in the game... and then we put up 7... who knows.

Fact is... this team is still needing a lot of work. And we shouldn't expect much more than what we have seen so far.

This is what a true rebuild looks like in year 2. All the other years we were "rebuilding" on top of cruddy foundation... Now we've started anew. With brand new foundation in Bortles, Lee, Robinson, maybe Harbor.

We have a piece or two on D in place for a foundation there.... but we'll need to continue the overhaul before seeing real results. But just think about 2 years ago. How many sacks did we have through the first 4 weeks?

The improvement is there... it's small... it's almost unnoticeable. But it is there.

we just need to win 2 of the next 4 and everything will settle down. But if we go 1-3 or 0-4 against the Steelers, tacks, Browns and Dolphins it will get ugly.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 04:28 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:From time to time all teams get blown out, yes.  However, this has not happened to those teams on the consistent basis that we have become accustomed to.  

There are a lot of factors we can point to that would explain how this continues to happen to us, but they are excuses without tangible solutions:  We're a young team - so are the Seahawks.  We were on the road - so were the 0 and 3 Colts.  We're building from a dismal team last year - so are the Texans - so were the Chiefs before them - so were the Colts before them.

Bortles and our offense show improvement, so long as they can stay healthy and keep their noses clean, (Ace).  However, there is no help coming for our defense, and our offense is not the kind that can simply out score an opponent while we leave our back field completely empty.  It does not look to me that it is merely communication issues, an ability to grasp the playbook, or our boys needing to gel after 4 weeks of consistent blow outs.  I don't even think it's the play calling.  It's a dearth of talent.  

I do think we will look better in the coming weeks playing against weaker teams and at home (Steelers, Browns.)  We will win some games this season, but I still see us targeting the #1 pick in 2015.  I hope we will use our high draft pick to trade for multiple later round picks to plug our many holes and add depth to our lines and our secondary, (although it's hard not to want Gurley after seeing Gerhart's potential dwindle so quickly.)  Still that puts us with valuable spots filled by even more rookies in the year to come, who will also need time to communicate, grasp the playbook, gel etc.

What's frustrating isn't that we're not improving, it's that it's taking much longer than anyone expected, and far longer than we deserve.  We should have been a legitimate team this year, not lending an unending preseason match up to the rest of the league.  I don't mind losing, but how can we not predict to see more blow outs to the Bengals, the Cowboys, the Giants, and the Ravens?

I had believed we would have a losing season this year with closely fought games and a winning season next year.  By all accounts, it looks like we will see closer games next year and should not expect a winning season until 2016.  I'm not trying to be negative, I'm attempting to be pragmatic after all I have seen.
Wrong. The chiefs and texans had way better rosters than we did. We have no eric berry, jamal charles, taba hali, JJ Watt, Cushing, Andre Johnson etc. This team was a true 2-14 team. Those teams had coaching dysfunctions and injuries that caused them to lose teams. You can still lose easily with good players. It is very hard to win with bad players 

Quote:Fair enough...

I didn't expect to get blown out in ridiculous fashion.

Although, with Henne at the helm, I wasn't exactly surprised.

What has been surprising is the 17-0 Lead in game 1 that our D helped us get.

And the 17-14 Showdown last week at halftime...

All of which led to NOTHING happening in the second half.

I'm surprised that it seems our team forgot football is a 60 minute game.

Although... you can cherry pick these games apart too. If he catches this ball, or if this guy makes that play here, totally different game.

And there is some truth to that. If Bortles gets that 4th down around the 50 earlier in the game... and then we put up 7... who knows.

Fact is... this team is still needing a lot of work. And we shouldn't expect much more than what we have seen so far.

This is what a true rebuild looks like in year 2. All the other years we were "rebuilding" on top of cruddy foundation... Now we've started anew. With brand new foundation in Bortles, Lee, Robinson, maybe Harbor.

We have a piece or two on D in place for a foundation there.... but we'll need to continue the overhaul before seeing real results. But just think about 2 years ago. How many sacks did we have through the first 4 weeks?

The improvement is there... it's small... it's almost unnoticeable. But it is there.
Finally, someone sees the improvement lol. It's small but it is there. Another thing is we are actually moving the ball. The three and outs have dramatically decreased and we are actually converting third downs. Small victories lol