Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is the "core" of this team?

It seems like there is no foundation being built.  Blake Bortles and Cyprien isn't much of a foundation.  I keep hearing that they are building but I don't see much to build around.  Joeckel doesn't seem like he's going to be great or a cornerstone of the o-line, hopefully he'll be "adequate."  Poz isn't getting younger.  The entire secondary "emphasis" of first year draft is a complete mess, got to hold out for hope for Robinson and Lee, but it just doesn't seem like there is much to even think things will get better next year.  This year is already over and it's not even October.  This organization just can't get right.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It seems like there is no foundation being built.  Blake Bortles and Cyprien isn't much of a foundation.  I keep hearing that they are building but I don't see much to build around.  Joeckel doesn't seem like he's going to be great or a cornerstone of the o-line, hopefully he'll be "adequate."  Poz isn't getting younger.  The entire secondary "emphasis" of first year draft is a complete mess, got to hold out for hope for Robinson and Lee, but it just doesn't seem like there is much to even think things will get better next year.  This year is already over and it's not even October.  This organization just can't get right.

Great question, there's a few players on this roster that I think you can build around, mostly on offense. Blake Bortles, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, and Luke Joeckel, it's a different story on defense as Marks and Cyp are the only guys I think would start for most other teams, the defense needs a complete overhaul, an infusion of young athletic impact players is desperately needed.

Quote:Great question, there's a few players on this roster that I think you can build around, mostly on offense. Blake Bortles, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, and Luke Joeckel, it's a different story on defense as Marks and Cyp are the only guys I think would start for most other teams, the defense needs a complete overhaul, an infusion of young athletic impact players is desperately needed.

They look like they're still four drafts away from being competitive, crazy.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Unfortunately two drafts will only yield this much talent to build around but still. Hopefully we can hit on some other guys.

get the first picl next year and it will go a quick ways to getting good fast. That pick can be traded for a 1,2,4 at least or a 1,2,1 most likely and it won't require falling that far, assuming Oregon Qb is the number One, teams will jump up to get him like a Rams, Bucs.

Quote:They look like they're still four drafts away from being competitive, crazy.

I don't believe they're that far away, especially if Blake Bortles turns out to be what we think he'll be, the offense will be fine. I'm concerned about the defense. I mentioned this in another thread, David Caldwell needs to invest a lot of money in FA on the defensive side of the ball, every position other than DT and SS needs to be upgraded, it's that bad. I definitely think we'll go defense heavy in the draft as well, the silver lining is this team has more money than anyone, and will be in position to draft the BADP (best available defensive player) high in the draft, or trade it's 1st round pick to a team that is desperate for a franchise QB, I really think this team has a chance to compete in 2015 if it plays it's cards correctly.

Why can't Brandon Linder be part of the mythical "core". Or Ace Sanders once he comes back.

You guys depress the hell out of me
No commercial messages in sigs

I do think the offense has the building blocks. Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Lee, Robinson, jockel, pasztor, bowanko. Cyp, Davis and marks are the only ones on defense I see.

Quote:I do think the offense has the building blocks. Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Lee, Robinson, jockel, pasztor, bowanko. Cyp, Davis and marks are the only ones on defense I see.

It's just discouraging that Caldwell made the secondary his first emphasis, and it's the worst group on the field, the worst group on a bad team.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 02:09 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:Why can't Brandon Linder be part of the mythical "core". Or Ace Sanders once he comes back.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic Shack, I usually enjoy your post. It's possible Brandon Linder ends up being a good player, but I think the Jaguars will upgrade the RG position in FA, he's one of the many reasons we can't run the ball. Ace Sanders is too diminutive to be a guy you can build around, 5'7 WR with average speed, he's a situational player at best. You see a guy like Tavon Austin who’s 5’8 and possesses world class speed, but has struggled mightily (so far) at this level, if you're a receiver under 6'0 at the NFL level you better be special, or have an incredibly accurate QB, just my opinion however.

Quote:It seems like there is no foundation being built.  Blake Bortles and Cyprien isn't much of a foundation.  I keep hearing that they are building but I don't see much to build around.  Joeckel doesn't seem like he's going to be great or a cornerstone of the o-line, hopefully he'll be "adequate."  Poz isn't getting younger.  The entire secondary "emphasis" of first year draft is a complete mess, got to hold out for hope for Robinson and Lee, but it just doesn't seem like there is much to even think things will get better next year.  This year is already over and it's not even October.  This organization just can't get right.

The offense is in better shape, especially if Blake proves to who we think he is. He's the foundation, and ARob, Hurns, DRob, can be complimentary pieces. Defensively is tough, because while there are solid pieces (Marks/Cyp), there's not one player that we can point to and say "yeah that's who this defense is built around".

Quote:It's just discouraging that Caldwell made the secondary his first emphasis, and it's the worst group on the field, the worst group on a bad team.

Very discouraging. That was my main critique of him. Drafting so heavily on DBs when we could have added other olinemen and defensive pieces. Hopefully it will work out.

Core?  Rotten.

One of these years.............

As long as Bortles pans out, it'd be tough for Caldwell not to look better in the talent department. Blake will make the rest of the team look better and make it easier to find offensive 'weapons' in the future. The fact that he drafted so heavily on defense in year 1 and they don't seem to be panning out, outside of Cyprien, is a big concern in my opinion. This secondary better start figuring things out and quickly. Gratz seems to have taken a large step backward. It's not a good sign.

It's still early in terms of judging the talent as we aren't even half way into year 2 so we'll see.

Get some star defensive players in FA this offseason. McCourty, Avril, Orakpo, Flowers, Cromartie, or Suh are available IIRC. We won't get any of them though, because we don't like to spend money around here. We like having the most cap space and sucking.

2015?

Quote:It's just discouraging that Caldwell made the secondary his first emphasis, and it's the worst group on the field, the worst group on a bad team.

If we had a free safety that could play the center field for the cover 3 to work right, then it wouldn't be where it is now.  Josh Evans is the closest thing we have to that, but he's still young and making mistakes.  If he cleans it up I still don't know if he has the speed to be the center fielder.

Free safety, linebacker, and TE are huge needs going into next season.

Ziggy, Toby, and Beadles are the core building blocks for the next 4 years.  Throw in Dennis Pitta at TE next year and we'll be set.

Joeckel should be a core player too. At this point he's far from that but there's still time for that to happen. I hope we start to see more progression from him as we go forward because he's not playing anywhere near a #2 overall pick and regardless of him being hurt last year or not that's disappointing.

Quote:Ziggy, Toby, and Beadles are the core building blocks for the next 4 years.  Throw in Dennis Pitta at TE next year and we'll be set.

I hope you're joking.