Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is the "core" of this team?

Quote:As long as Bortles pans out, it'd be tough for Caldwell not to look better in the talent department. Blake will make the rest of the team look better and make it easier to find offensive 'weapons' in the future. The fact that he drafted so heavily on defense in year 1 and they don't seem to be panning out, outside of Cyprien, is a big concern in my opinion. This secondary better start figuring things out and quickly. Gratz seems to have taken a large step backward. It's not a good sign.

It's still early in terms of judging the talent as we aren't even half way into year 2 so we'll see.

I don't get the concern.  He drafted Cyp in 2, Gratz 3 and then Evans, Harris and McCray were 6, 7, 7.  Any pick after the 5th not panning out isn't really a concern to me.  Those are gifts if they turn out to be more than backups. 

Huh

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't get the concern. He drafted Cyp in 2, Gratz 3 and then Evans, Harris and McCray were 6, 7, 7. Any pick after the 5th not panning out isn't really a concern to me. Those are gifts if they turn out to be more than backups.

This is true. I think the fact that so much emphasis was put on it where the concern comes from. That was a major focus but they are still developing so it can turn around drastically

Bortles

Cyprien

Hurns

Robinson

Lee

Joeckel

Linder

Bowanko

Pasztor

Quote:I don't get the concern. He drafted Cyp in 2, Gratz 3 and then Evans, Harris and McCray were 6, 7, 7. Any pick after the 5th not panning out isn't really a concern to me. Those are gifts if they turn out to be more than backups.

Either way the only one of those three that has played well is Cyprien. Gratz has played poorly this year and has been part of the coverage problem when he should be part of the solution. Evans hasn't played enough yet so the jury is out.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 02:48 PM by Raven09s.)

Quote:Get some star defensive players in FA this offseason. McCourty, Avril, Orakpo, Flowers, Cromartie, or Suh are available IIRC. We won't get any of them though, because we don't like to spend money around here. We like having the most cap space and sucking.

Orakpo is approaching 30 and hasn't done well so far this year.

Avril is also approaching 30 and has a grand total of 4 tackles including 1 sack in 4 games this season.  No thanks.

McCourty I haven't watched at all so I don't know about him.  But from what I have read he will probably end up being resigned by New England.

Flowers is playing well in San Diego so he may be extended.

Cromartie sucks.  There's a reason he's bounced around.

Suh is the only one that I would want from that group, and he comes with his own baggage.  Not to mention will probably command a top contract Mario Williams money.  Our Dline isn't even the issue right now either.

Coughlin proved that spending money in free agency doesn't win.  He proved what it does with our own team.  It puts you in cap hell and gets you nothing but bloated contracts on old players.

Having Bortles be a franchise QB is pretty much all you need. The more he continues to improve, the more the team improves.

Bortles is the key. With a true franchise QB he'll help cover some of the teams deficiencies.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Too soon to know who will or won't be core with all of this youth.  

A Robinson/Lee/Hurns are definitely core at receiver

Cyp is core in the secondary - McCray might be called that too in a year from now - don't know yet

Marks  is core on the D-line  -- Ryan Davis may grow into a major role, Miller has been better but would have to re-sign to be "core"

Bortles is obviously core

D-Rob might be viewed that way by season's end too. 

Joeckel/Bowanko/Linder/Pasztor or some combo of those guys could easily be seen as core by season's end. 

I don't think that's so bad a start for a completely gutted roster.  It's just frustrating waiting to know where some of these youngsters will plateau. 

Quote:Too soon to know who will or won't be core with all of this youth.

A Robinson/Lee/Hurns are definitely core at receiver

Cyp is core in the secondary - McCray might be called that too in a year from now - don't know yet

Marks is core on the D-line -- Ryan Davis may grow into a major role, Miller has been better but would have to re-sign to be "core"

Bortles is obviously core

D-Rob might be viewed that way by season's end too.

I don't think that's so bad a start for a completely gutted roster. It's just frustrating waiting to know where some of these youngsters will plateau.

Agreed on the WR and you bring up a point with D-Rob. He has flashed potential and I think he'd be pretty darn good if he can continue to develop as he has. It wouldn't hurt if he had at least a marginal hole to run through because he looks like a guy that could break some nice runs if he was able to get into space at the 2nd level more than once a game.

Bortles

Bortles

Bortles

Quote:It seems like there is no foundation being built.  Blake Bortles and Cyprien isn't much of a foundation.  I keep hearing that they are building but I don't see much to build around.  Joeckel doesn't seem like he's going to be great or a cornerstone of the o-line, hopefully he'll be "adequate."  Poz isn't getting younger.  The entire secondary "emphasis" of first year draft is a complete mess, got to hold out for hope for Robinson and Lee, but it just doesn't seem like there is much to even think things will get better next year.  This year is already over and it's not even October.  This organization just can't get right.

Prior to the start of the season I felt that Big Red would have the same voice he had in Seattle & it had appearted that way thru preseason.  I felt that Blake Bortles would take Chad Henne's job by week 3 & I was right about that (sadly, because I was hoping that Gus was right about Chad even though all of us doubted it severly & thats even started us to wonder about Gus).  I understand that Blake is a rookie and has to learn this year so at times it'll look ugly on the field but he seems to already take the leadership role and people respond to him. 

If I had to pick a guy, it would be Bortles... since its usually the QB as the leader of the team other than coaches..

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 03:20 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Joeckel

Bortles

Lee

ARob

Hurns

Lewis

Cyp

Miller

Marks

Branch

Anger

Everyone else is replaceable.

Bortles and Anger 

Quote:Not sure if you're being sarcastic Shack, I usually enjoy your post. It's possible Brandon Linder ends up being a good player, but I think the Jaguars will upgrade the RG position in FA, he's one of the many reasons we can't run the ball. Ace Sanders is too diminutive to be a guy you can build around, 5'7 WR with average speed, he's a situational player at best. You see a guy like Tavon Austin who’s 5’8 and possesses world class speed, but has struggled mightily (so far) at this level, if you're a receiver under 6'0 at the NFL level you better be special, or have an incredibly accurate QB, just my opinion however.
I think it is a bit premature to judge Linder. The only upgrade you are likely to see at RG next year will be due to his development.

How about the seven rookies on offense that are either starting or contributing right now? Seriously, the all-rookie team's offensive unit could look an awful lot like the Jaguars' offense.

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast." - Alexander Pope

Quote:Joeckel

Bortles

Lee

ARob

Hurns

Lewis

Cyp

Miller

Marks

Branch

Anger

Everyone else is replaceable.
Lewis ? Lol

Not sure if someone mentioned this yet but I think it's Bortles.

Quote:Get some star defensive players in FA this offseason. McCourty, Avril, Orakpo, Flowers, Cromartie, or Suh are available IIRC. We won't get any of them though, because we don't like to spend money around here. We like having the most cap space and sucking.

No thanks to Suh. He's the most dirty player in the league.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

No love for Ball?

It was Prosinski.  As he was walking out the door he told Winston Guy, "It's all yours."

Now?  (shrug)