Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
PFF gives Bortles 4th worst QB grade

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/29/6862565/jaguars-blake-bortles-earns-fourth-worst-passing-grade-from-pro-football-focus'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/29/6862565/jaguars-blake-bortles-earns-fourth-worst-passing-grade-from-pro-football-focus</a>

Quote:Pro Football Focus believed that Bortles earned a -3.6 rating and was in the same company as Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, and Jay Cutler yesterday. A high percentage of completions (78.4% -- second only to Aaron Rodgers) wasn't enough to make up for two bad decisions that resulted in interceptions, and several others that resulted in tipped passes or near picks.

Meh.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 12:38 PM by badger.)

He obviously has areas that need improvement, and it's not his "footwork".  He needs to stop staring down his primary target.

Other than that he has been a breath of fresh air.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/29/6862565/jaguars-blake-bortles-earns-fourth-worst-passing-grade-from-pro-football-focus'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/29/6862565/jaguars-blake-bortles-earns-fourth-worst-passing-grade-from-pro-football-focus</a>

Meh.

This is dumb, I watched EJ Manuel and Geno Smith yesterday and Blake was no where near that ineffective.

Ya EJ was pretty worthless

At least those guys are in their 2nd year while Blake made his FIRST START

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/29/6862565/jaguars-blake-bortles-earns-fourth-worst-passing-grade-from-pro-football-focus'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/29/6862565/jaguars-blake-bortles-earns-fourth-worst-passing-grade-from-pro-football-focus</a>

Meh.

The performance was very rookie- like, and in the second half it appeared that he was either confused by the scheme he was facing or was hesitant for some reason to make some throws.

I expect continued growth for and around him, and regardless of how anyone graded out his performance yesterday the positive signs around him as a talent at the position are obvious. He just needs experience and a bit better play around him.

It's best not to trust PFF grades on anything other than OL and DL. For example, they had Posluszny and Demetrius McCray with higher coverage grades than Cyp. Also Allen Hurns was apparently the 2nd worst pass catcher on the field.

Quote:Ya EJ was pretty worthless

At least those guys are in their 2nd year while Blake made his FIRST START

Exactly, both EJ and Geno have better pieces around them as well, much better running games and really good defenses.

Quote:He obviously has areas that need improvement, and it's not his "footwork". He needs to stop staring down his primary target.

Other than that he has been a breath of fresh air.

His first pick was to his 3rd option... The 2nd pick was on his primary target.

I actually think he does a decent job scanning the field.

There's areas for improvement, sure, but I think he's way better at going through his progressions than his predecessors.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Not going to sweat it. Bottomline is this. He flashed, yet again, like he's always done in every single game he's played in. He either makes a play here or a play there that literally makes you go "WOW!...did he just do that?". He'll get better man. He really well. I actually believe in this kid. What PFF won't take into consideration is the fact that Bortles is playing with virtually nobodies or rookies right now at the WR position. He threw a TD pass to a TE that WAS JUST SIGNED earlier this week. And he has no running game and is stuck behind a very young and inexperienced offensive line. I am not trying to make too many excuses for the kid. But c'mon. He did pretty good out there. I was impressed. I don't know if we're not making the right adjustments at half-time, or if we're just mentally falling apart in the 2nd half of football games. But, despite this and that. He did pretty good in my book.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:His first pick was to his 3rd option... The 2nd pick was on his primary target.

There's areas for improvement, sure, but I think he's way better at going through his progressions than his predecessors.
Agreed completely.

While the analysts fault him for throwing late across the middle to a stationary receiver, that was NOT his first read.

He DID scan the field. 

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Meh.
Aren't those the folks that always have something negative to say about us? I've seen some posters on here saying that about one site, but I cannot be sure which. Thought it was them.

I think we all know what we saw.

Quote:I think we all know what we saw.
I don't know what PFF saw, other than the stats.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 12:49 PM by badger.)

Quote:His first pick was to his 3rd option... The 2nd pick was on his primary target.

He does good going through reads, but there are times where the QB needs to look off the coverage from his first read so that the defense cant just watch his eyes.

I'm specifically referencing the second interception by Weddle... and in his last game against the Colts, he allowed the safety to come help over the top on Allen Robinson.  Had he looked off the safety, ARob has a chance to make a play with 1v1 coverage.

It's really splitting hairs, but IMO that is where he needs improvement.  He needs to get better at dictating what the defense will do and thus allow his guys to be more open.

Quote:He does good going through reads, but there are times where the QB needs to look off the coverage from his first read so that the defense cant just watch his eyes.
I don't get what you are saying.

He has shown the ability and willingness to look off coverage.  His TD to Hurns against the Colts shows that.

Stopped reading after PFF

Quote:The performance was very rookie- like, and in the second half it appeared that he was either confused by the scheme he was facing or was hesitant for some reason to make some throws.

I expect continued growth for and around him, and regardless of how anyone graded out his performance yesterday the positive signs around him as a talent at the position are obvious. He just needs experience and a bit better play around him.
The defense really showed inspired play yesterday holding San Diego to a season low for total points allowed against the defense.

Quote:I don't get what you are saying.

He has shown the ability and willingness to look off coverage.  His TD to Hurns against the Colts shows that.
Agreed.  He has done it more than once.  I haven't re-watched the game yet, but he did it a couple of times yesterday as well. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM by badger.)

Quote:I don't get what you are saying.

I didn't say he NEVER has done it.  My point is that he has been really predictable at times where he is going with the ball, resulting in interceptions or passes deflected.  It's partly decision-making as well.

He just needs to get better at it and be more consistent.

Quote:He does good going through reads, but there are times where the QB needs to look off the coverage from his first read so that the defense cant just watch his eyes.

I'm specifically referencing the second interception by Weddle... and in his last game against the Colts, he allowed the safety to come help over the top on Allen Robinson. Had he looked off the safety, ARob has a chance to make a play with 1v1 coverage.

It's really splitting hairs, but IMO that is where he needs improvement. He needs to get better at dictating what the defense will do and thus allow his guys to be more open.
Agree, that's an that needs improvement.

I expected mistakes like that.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Blake's second pick wasn't the greatest decision, but whatever happened to a receiver coming back for the ball? Bad effort by Shorts on that one.