Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade Blake Bortles' first start.
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

How was Blake Bortles' performance?

I don't know his quarterback rating, but here are the passing statistics:

Passes attempted: 37

Passes completed: 29

Completion percentage: 78.4

Passing yards: 253

Touchdowns: 1

Interceptions: 2

Longest pass: 44

Sacked: 3

Note: The first interception was not his fault. Cecil Shorts tweaked his hamstring and could not make a move to get the ball.

One sack was called "a young player trying to do too much."

So do you think he had a good day for a first time starter?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 01:03 AM by Flame.)

That was some great Jaygwire football out there today. I was really impressed with the poise and motivation Blake had to create plays and move around in the pocket. He had a great oppoortoonity and executed it greatly. He had a few hiccups, but overall, I think we did great out there today. A lot we can improve on, and we'll be ready for next weeks challenge too. It'll be a great week to get better.

2015?

B

He scares the living hell out of me sometimes he tries too hard to keep a play alove, on one hand its cool to see that passion, on the other hand if he gets injured ill cry

Quote:He scares the living hell out of me sometimes he tries too hard to keep a play alove, on one hand its cool to see that passion, on the other hand if he gets injured ill cry

I loved it when he kept the play alive by pushing himself back up before his knee touched the ground because that is called not giving up on the play. It would have worked if he had thrown the ball just one second earlier because the pass was complete. But the one where we were backed up near our goal line reminded me of Chad Henne holding it too long.

His pocket presence and escapability may already be among the top five in the entire league. 

I gave it a B. Great completion percentage, didn't play like a rookie. INTs are forgivable for the first start, but after the first one and the subsequent injury to Shorts our offense was ineffective. Would have liked to see some points in the second half. A win would have been nice too.

Quote:I gave it a B. Great completion percentage, didn't play like a rookie. INTs are forgivable for the first start, but after the first one and the subsequent injury to Shorts our offense was ineffective. Would have liked to see some points in the second half. A win would have been nice too.

In other words we missed Shorts after he left early.

He actually was injured on the play before and tried to stay in the game.

B.  

First half was fantastic.  Second half he stared down the receiver too much.  Would like to see him throw more TD's.  Maybe next week...

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

He will throw more touchdowns when he gets more chances.

voted b,

Solid first start, would have loved to see him rise up during some of those critical drives. Like at the end of the half, and when we were down by two scores. But that's not all his fault, other players have to rise up as well. Like intangibles, and mobility; those stood out to me the most.

I don't know who decided to just play out the last minute and not worry about trying to score but chances are Blake is not ready for that part yet. That would be putting too much pressure on him IMHO.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 04:27 AM by Dockerill91.)

Quote:I loved it when he kept the play alive by pushing himself back up before his knee touched the ground because that is called not giving up on the play. It would have worked if he had thrown the ball just one second earlier because the pass was complete. But the one where we were backed up near our goal line reminded me of Chad Henne holding it too long.

I did aswel, but I agree with earlier poster talking about injuries, if that Dlineman had gone down when he was trying to get his knee up that could of been an ACL injury right there.

I can't believe it. A coworker whom I consider very knowledgeable about sports and is a Jags STH told me that he didn't see what all the hype was about Bortles. When I pointed out his extender plays and passing yardage in the first half, he just shrugged his shoulders and said that Bortles was just doing his job. Technically he's correct, but it's how well he did it considering the circumstances. He also stated that Bortles stared down his receivers. I surely didn't see that frequently. Funny how people see things so differently.

homebiscuit is that coworker a Teebow fanatic?

Honestly it was a B performance and could have slipped to a C depending on circumstance.  I think coaching had a drag on his performance a little.  With just under a minute and okay field position, how do you not let him try for a field goal.  I guess situational coaching says, the chargers are getting the ball to open the half so you play it safe, but we are a 0-3 team and that is a chance to grow your quarterback situationally.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Solid B...he had some rookie moments, as he will....but you can just see/feel the potential there..

Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless
;

;

I think he showed why he has so much potential at times and at other times he showed that he is clearly a rookie who will need some seasoning.  He has a knack for keeping plays alive. After SD made some adjustments in the second half, he had more trouble finding targets.  This may be also due to the fact that after Shorts left the game, we only had 3 receivers, 2 of them rookies, and they may have been getting fatigued.  Going to be good to get Ace back.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:homebiscuit is that coworker a Teebow fanatic?

Honestly it was a B performance and could have slipped to a C depending on circumstance. I think coaching had a drag on his performance a little. With just under a minute and okay field position, how do you not let him try for a field goal. I guess situational coaching says, the chargers are getting the ball to open the half so you play it safe, but we are a 0-3 team and that is a chance to grow your quarterback situationally.

He's definitely not a Tebow fan. I find it fascinating that he has nothing superlative to say about Bortles. For a guy starting his first game in an away venue I think he would surely would have some impressive highlights to reflect on. But strangely, he's mostly 'meh'.

Quote:He's definitely not a Tebow fan. I find it fascinating that he has nothing superlative to say about Bortles. For a guy starting his first game in an away venue I think he would surely would have some impressive highlights to reflect on. But strangely, he's mostly 'meh'.

Chad Henne's brother?

B-.