Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade Blake Bortles' first start.
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

How was Blake Bortles' performance?

Quote:I don't know his quarterback rating, but here are the passing statistics:

101.9 according to Brucey

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I give it an 'A.' I don't see how you can't give a rookie who threw that many passes and completed more than 70% of them in hist first start anything worse. His 2 picks come with the territory; he's a rookie. But outside of throwing a td for the win as time expired, I don't know what y'all expect.

Quote:I give it an 'A.' I don't see how you can't give a rookie who threw that many passes and completed more than 70% of them in hist first start anything worse. His 2 picks come with the territory; he's a rookie. But outside of throwing a td for the win as time expired, I don't know what y'all expect.

The 2 picks are why you are seeing the "B" grades.  BB is better than when he was drafted.  I really really like that.  A guy with physical talents that works to improve.  I just hope we keep seeing more of it.  It feels good to have improvement at the most important position in sports.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

He didn't get sacked 10 times, so he's got that going for him.  He takes a lot of chances that Chad wont take which result in more interceptions, but risk versus reward.  He's a rookie so I expect a lot of ups and downs. 

You want to know how Blake Bortles performed well this was his first game and he is now ranked #30th in total yards passing in the NFL (Chad is ranked #29th and he had 3 weeks)!

His rating is higher than Chads at 82.4 but to be fair he has 4 ints to Chad's 1 and is on pace to have many more....

He'll learn that you can throw to Cecil Shorts III standing there for a few seconds with a DB eyeing you as you make your progressions ... things like that he messed up but he did some great things too like the roll out.. or the deep pass to Allen Hurns for example.. the avoiding sacks and almost got away with that one spin throw away until the challenge.  He's 70.5% which is fantastic considering Ace Sanders & Justin Blackmon are suspended, Cecil left the game after the interception with an injury, Mike Brown cant catch, Allen Hurns was double covered, and Lee was out with an injury...

Robinson had another great game though.. wow the awareness and hands to get that tip pass. 476 yards for a game & half is pretty good with the leagues worst defense & offense.

Quote:The 2 picks are why you are seeing the "B" grades.  BB is better than when he was drafted.  I really really like that.  A guy with physical talents that works to improve.  I just hope we keep seeing more of it.  It feels good to have improvement at the most important position in sports.
He is learning to use his body more with his throws which puts more zip on the balls, but the lack of protection & poor WRs (due to suspesions and injuries) will make for a very hard time for the rookie...

I say B because they lost and he had the two picks. But man, does he look like he can be a superstar.

I gave Blake an "A"  --- San Diego has a good defense and I think he was instructed at halftime to play more like Henne and don't look downfield.

“Just learning from mistakes is something you have to continue to do,” Bortles said. “Those are things that I’m sure 15-16 year NFL guys still do. You watch the film, learn from what you did and try not to do it again.”

I expect this week to be a very interesting home game against the Steelers, especially since so many people compared Borltes to Big Ben.

Quote:I gave Blake an "A"  --- San Diego has a good defense and I think he was instructed at halftime to play more like Henne and don't look downfield.
The Chargers have the 9th overall Defense in the NFL (Jaguars dead last 32nd).  (especially against the pass the Jaguars let up 320 yards per game average to the Chargers 228 yards per game). 

He moved the ball, showed pocket awareness, and he was able to bounce back after some costly turnovers and move the ball again. The defense lost this game.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

C. You can say the Chargers defense is good but they're injured bad all over. Plenty of their starters sat out. I can see we're already turning Bortles to Captain Check Down early in his career and it's sad to see. All those high percentage passes were thrown no longer than 5 yards apart. This team is bad.

Quote:C. You can say the Chargers defense is good but they're injured bad all over. Plenty of their starters sat out. I can see we're already turning Bortles to Captain Check Down early in his career and it's sad to see. All those high percentage passes were thrown no longer than 5 yards apart. This team is bad.
His pass per attempt for the game was 6.8 with the checkdowns and for the season is 7.9 which is 10th in all of NFL so please chill out.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I gave it a B but think it should have been a B+ considering the oline and a rookie's first game. it also appeared that the play calling in the second have was to conservative. Behind a good line and with veteran receivers he would have set the bar for rookie starts. Does anyone remember a better looking first year quarterback through preseason and 1 1/2 season starts better then Blake. Be interesting to see  how many the board can come up with. 

Around the NFL podcast said Bortles appears to be best rookie performer since Luck.  Outside of Luck, it is hard to think of top picks performing well.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I gave him a B... he kept plays alive and made the most out of his 1st start.

His 2nd INT was a bad one, looks like he just got fooled with the coverage on that one.

the 1st INT is on him and Cecil together.

Overall, I'm pleased.  He's lightyears ahead of where our other QBs were.  Now lets get this TEAM better around him.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM by P. Haze.)

Quote:His pass per attempt for the game was 6.8 with the checkdowns and for the season is 7.9 which is 10th in all of NFL so please chill out.
So you're not arguing what I said you just wanted to say something about my comment? He hit two bombs in both games to Hurns which skewed these pass per attempt numbers you are throwing out. The majority of all his pass were check downs yesterday. Go look at the play by play and it will clearly show you that. While you're at it, look up this number and tell me what it is and you chill out after doing that. 0-4. That's all that really matters.

Although I know better, morbid curiosity led me to read the T-U comments about yesterdays game. There is STILL a Tebow homer commenting that only HE can improve this team. Apparently BB just doesn't cut it.

Quote:Although I know better, morbid curiosity led me to read the T-U comments about yesterdays game. There is STILL a Tebow homer commenting that only HE can improve this team. Apparently BB just doesn't cut it.

The scary thing is that he is probably not the only one. It is mind boggling.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:So you're not arguing what I said you just wanted to say something about my comment? He hit two bombs in both games to Hurns which skewed these pass per attempt numbers you are throwing out. The majority of all his pass were check downs yesterday. Go look at the play by play and it will clearly show you that. While you're at it, look up this number and tell me what it is and you chill out after doing that. 0-4. That's all that really matters.

You don't have a lot of friends do you?

Huh

I gave him a C. After a fine first half, he turned into Chad Henne in the second half. I'm not sure how much is on him vs. the coaching. There was no one running deep on his first interception, so that was at least one play where the failure to open it up was not on Blake. There were also what appeared to be designed screens which didn't allow Bortles to choose from among multiple targets. But there were some cases in the second half where I thought Blake chose the easy short completion.

I saw lots of flashes of greatness, which bodes well for the future. The overall results yesterday were average for an NFL QB, hence the C.

A 'C' game by our QB is still an improvement over Henne.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"