Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade Blake Bortles' first start.
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

How was Blake Bortles' performance?

Quote:I gave him a C. After a fine first half, he turned into Chad Henne in the second half. I'm not sure how much is on him vs. the coaching. There was no one running deep on his first interception, so that was at least one play where the failure to open it up was not on Blake. There were also what appeared to be designed screens which didn't allow Bortles to choose from among multiple targets. But there were some cases in the second half where I thought Blake chose the easy short completion.

I saw lots of flashes of greatness, which bodes well for the future. The overall results yesterday were average for an NFL QB, hence the C.

A 'C' game by our QB is still an improvement over Henne.
I think when shorts went out it allowed the Chargers to blanket the only two receives that could be a threat and as a result there was little down field to throw to. I also believe the play calling was changed and more Conservative because of the previous statement. I'm not sure you can put all the blame on Blake for the second half passing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You don't have a lot of friends do you?
Does having a lot of friends help my judgment to put up lame [BLEEP] pictures like the one you have as an avatar? If so I'll go out and get some right now.

Quote:I gave him a C. After a fine first half, he turned into Chad Henne in the second half. I'm not sure how much is on him vs. the coaching. There was no one running deep on his first interception, so that was at least one play where the failure to open it up was not on Blake. There were also what appeared to be designed screens which didn't allow Bortles to choose from among multiple targets. But there were some cases in the second half where I thought Blake chose the easy short completion.

I saw lots of flashes of greatness, which bodes well for the future. The overall results yesterday were average for an NFL QB, hence the C.

A 'C' game by our QB is still an improvement over Henne.

This is pretty much my sentiment also.

Bortles also threw a couple screens/passes out to the flat that he was Very Fortunate with. Those couple throws were almost easy INTs, one of which could've been a pick 6.

He has to be more careful with those, or they will turn into pick 6's.

Overall though,, it's easy to tell the future could be very bright for him. He's miles ahead in talent compared to other QBs we've seen in Jax for a long time.

It's just gonna take some time and growing pains for he and all the other rookies.

He'll have a couple of games that he play lights out, and then we'll see some games where he struggles some (expected rookie issues).

Quote:I don't know his quarterback rating, but here are the passing statistics:

Passes attempted: 29

Passes completed: 37
Wow, he completed more passes than he actually threw. I have a good feeling about this guy.

B

The first half was really impressive. A lot more dink and dunks in the 2nd half, and of course there were the 2 ints, but I think it was due to 2 issues: the running game slowed down and wasn't creating space for the passing game, and after building a lead the Chargers basically pinned their ears back and came after BB5 on every play. Hard to let routes develop under those circumstances, and mistakes will be made. Especially by rookie a QB making his first start.

Quote:Wow, he completed more passes than he actually threw. I have a good feeling about this guy.

Making plays with pure awesomeness.

B+

As others have noted, a lot of dinking and dunking after half time. But then for a large portion of the second half there were only three available WR on the roster . . . and not our top 3. I expect that there weren't many open receivers downfield in that half.

Quote:The 2 picks are why you are seeing the "B" grades.  BB is better than when he was drafted.  I really really like that.  A guy with physical talents that works to improve.  I just hope we keep seeing more of it.  It feels good to have improvement at the most important position in sports.

Only the second pick bothered me because Cecil Shorts was trying to play with a bad hamstring on the first one and could not move to beat the defender. It was not a bad pass at all.

Taking a sack deep in our territory was another reason for my B grade. When you are that close to your own goal line, you have to throw the ball away if there is nobody to throw it to.

Quote:Wow, he completed more passes than he actually threw. I have a good feeling about this guy.

Oops, I gotta correct that. I meant 37 attempts, 29 completions.

Quote:I don't know his quarterback rating, but here are the passing statistics:

Passes attempted: 29

Passes completed: 37

Completion percentage: 78.4

Passing yards: 253

Touchdowns: 1

Interceptions: 2

Longest pass: 44

Sacked: 3

Note: The first interception was not his fault. Cecil Shorts tweaked his hamstring and could not make a move to get the ball.

One sack was called "a young player trying to do too much."

So do you think he had a good day for a first time starter?

The formula I have is (basically): (5/12) * [2*(Comp %) + 10*(y/a) + 8*(TD %) - 10*(Int %) +5]

Interestingly enough, the official rating formula (in my records from 1999, so it may have been changed since then) sets an upper limit to the completion percentage of 77.5%. This means that 77.5 would be used in place of the actual 78.4 when Bortles single game rating is calculated.

Officially, 89.5, assuming I didn't mistype anything.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The formula I have is (basically): (5/12) * [2*(Comp %) + 10*(y/a) + 8*(TD %) - 10*(Int %) +5]

Interestingly enough, the official rating formula (in my records from 1999, so it may have been changed since then) sets an upper limit to the completion percentage of 77.5%. This means that 77.5 would be used in place of the actual 78.4 when Bortles single game rating is calculated.

Officially, 89.5, assuming I didn't mistype anything.

The number 78.4% is from NFL/ESPN's Twitter page, so it must be official. I can't imagine why there would be an upper limit for completion percentage under 100.

I suck at math so I just have to believe the numbers that are reported.

Solid B.  Did some great things and made a few errors.   If you consider the talent around him A+

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Solid B. Did some great things and made a few errors. If you consider the talent around him A+

I can't give him an A+ after seeing some errors. Regardless of the talent around him, he needs to know when to throw the ball aawy and look for another receiver when a cornerback is watching him.

B for Bortles,  a D - ok, a F for the defense. F for the HC, and his staff.   :ermm:

Quote:B for Bortles,  a D - ok, a F for the defense. F for the HC, and his staff. 

I am not worrying about the coaches right now.

Quote:I can't believe it. A coworker whom I consider very knowledgeable about sports and is a Jags STH told me that he didn't see what all the hype was about Bortles. When I pointed out his extender plays and passing yardage in the first half, he just shrugged his shoulders and said that Bortles was just doing his job. Technically he's correct, but it's how well he did it considering the circumstances. He also stated that Bortles stared down his receivers. I surely didn't see that frequently. Funny how people see things so differently.

Technically, all that Brady has ever done is his job.

Bortles scored an 86 out of 100% in the arbitrary QB ranking system I just made up.

That's a B / B+

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 03:37 PM by TheBuffmuffin.)

Gave it a B. Thought he was outstanding in the first half, made some good plays in the second half but that second pick was Ehh.

Very excited about the future

I gave him a F for [BLEEP] awesome. :-) read it and weap haters!

I'll give him a B.  He did fine for his official debut.  He's got everything.  Aside from the OC's playcalling which he can't control, all Blake needs is experience to continue to ascend.  Also will Ace and Pasztor be playing against Pittsburgh?  I think that along with being at home will help elevate his play abit next week.  Not hard to imagine him having his first 300 yard game next game.