Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade Blake Bortles' first start.
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

How was Blake Bortles' performance?

I grade him as an A-......I voted A. Considering his offensive line, lack of a running game, no Lee, Sanders or Shorts (hammy), the San Diego d-line and linebackers with their ears pinned back using all kinds of blitz packages plus San Diego's good cover corners, and Blake completing 78% of his passes.......best rookie debut.......has to be an A IMHO

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I gave him a B for a lot of the reasons already mentioned.  That said, he gets an A just for being BB and not CH!   :thumbsup:

Quote:I'll give him a B.  He did fine for his official debut.  He's got everything.  Aside from the OC's playcalling which he can't control, all Blake needs is experience to continue to ascend.  Also will Ace and Pasztor be playing against Pittsburgh?  I think that along with being at home will help elevate his play abit next week.  Not hard to imagine him having his first 300 yard game next game.

Actually he can control some of the playcalling. I am sure there are limitations to that, but Jedd Fisch is letting him take plays out of the playbook.

There is no reason not to expect Sanders to play against the Steelers. We need him back for punt returns and maybe to replace Shorts or Lee.

Quote:There is no reason not to expect Sanders to play against the Steelers. We need him back for punt returns and maybe to replace Shorts or Lee.

Sure there is. Is he in game shape? He hasn't practiced with the team in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he's inactive this week.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Sure there is. Is he in game shape? He hasn't practiced with the team in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he's inactive this week.

He probably worked out on his own to stay in shape. Players don't have to be at team facilities to do that, you know.

He was put up for rookie of the week...

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2014, 08:37 AM by DewtheMathis.)

From NFL.com's website...

With the comparisons to Ben Roethlisberger running rampant, everyone is excited about Blake Bortles. Count me in. That said, the performance in San Diego looked better on the highlight reel than in reality, particularly in the second half. The Eric Weddle interception was a classic case of a young QB trying to do too much. The key for the rookie out of Central Florida is to learn to live another down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...s-new-no-1

Blake goes 1st overall in an NFL draft redo..

Nice write up on Bortles by NFL writer GIl

In his first start on Sunday, he completed more than 78 percent of his passes and the Jaguars were an impressive 9-of-14 (64 percent) on third down. I had him ranked No. 8 in my Hot 100 draft prospects, but his better-than-anticipated mobility (7 rushes, 54 yards) moves him to No. 1.

The last paragraph is on Bleacher Report. Somebody is playing copycat there.

Thank God we can't redo the draft. I would hate to play against him twice a year.

At least he tries to keep plays alive instead of folding like a cheap jacket. On the other hand, I would like to see him learn to throw the ball away rather than throwing interceptions. Still, he is a rookie so those things are going to happen for a while.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:At least he tries to keep plays alive instead of folding like a cheap jacket. On the other hand, I would like to see him learn to throw the ball away rather than throwing interceptions. Still, he is a rookie so those things are going to happen for a while.

Don't forget two interceptions were 100% the receiver's fault. The other two were rookie mistakes, so he will get better.