Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It's time to question coaching

Quote:If you don't believe that then we two different philospies on the fubdementals of building a team.

If ever there was a word that gets made up to describe the Jaguars, this should be it.  I think I just death sharted.

One of these years.............

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bad teams don't get blown out 4 straight games like we did. HISTORICALLY BAD teams do. Even the freaking Browns for the last decade and the 0-16 Lions were never this bad. That's not just "not good", it's downright pathetic.

Heck, it would be amazing if we could just not get blown out. My definition for compete is to not looks like a 1-AA team playing Alabama. I'd kill to be the Browns right now.

The problem is we are that's bad. That's what kind of roster was here when Caldwell took over. I'm don't see how you don't realize that. Because they were competitive in their 14 losses that why that team should have been held together but the team who gets blown out with young guys and won 4 games can't be given a chance.

Quote:If ever there was a word that gets made up to describe the Jaguars, this should be it. I think I just death sharted.

Lol good catch.

Quote:Lol good catch.

It describes our team perfectly.  It gave me humor today!

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 01:07 PM by Atreas.)

Cant you see what they are doing, tank the season and get 1st round at the 2015 draft party, then trade that spot for a 6th round etc.  Just saying :woot:

Go Jags Yeah ! Banana

I feel better about our offensive personnel then I did 3 years ago. Defense is just pukingly bad. Out of two years, we have had 5 draft picks in rounds 1 & 2 and 4 have been offensive players. I hope our line continues to gel and get better so that next year we can go heavy defense with our first and second picks.

The one defensive pick in those rounds was Cyp, and he's playing like it. Enough of these 6th round, UDFA, and journeyman players in our secondary please

Quote:I don't think you can call our scheme "aggressive" when we rush only 4 consistently.  we rarely blitz.

When you're playing press-man coverage and your corners are on an island...that's aggressive.

Quote:When you're playing press-man coverage and your corners are on an island...that's aggressive.

We don't usually implement that kind of coverage.  The bomb to Floyd was one of the few times in a game where we play man to man.  The problem is that Rivers recognized that and made the right throw.

Quote:The problem is we are that's bad. That's what kind of roster was here when Caldwell took over. I'm don't see how you don't realize that. 
The problem is Caldwell is in his second year.  He's had two drafts (with excellent position) and two free agency periods to build the roster, yet the only improved position is QB.  There are still big question marks at running back, receiver and O line.  Despite FA signings we still can't generate a pass rush and the secondary is simply embarrassing.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:The problem is Caldwell is in his second year. He's had two drafts (with excellent position) and two free agency periods to build the roster, yet the only improved position is QB. There are still big question marks at running back, receiver and O line. Despite FA signings we still can't generate a pass rush and the secondary is simply embarrassing.
I'm happy with our receivers. They're just young. I think we'll see the future of our QB and WR combo against the steelers. We're supposed to get Lee and Ace back, with Cecil missing this week.

Quote:The problem is Caldwell is in his second year. He's had two drafts (with excellent position) and two free agency periods to build the roster, yet the only improved position is QB. There are still big question marks at running back, receiver and O line. Despite FA signings we still can't generate a pass rush and the secondary is simply embarrassing.

So here is my question do we fire Caldwell and Gus at the end of the season? Do you feel that is the best plan of action for this team? Serious question because I do want to know what you think.

Okay, here's the thing: regardless of how talented the players are that caldwell drafted, they should be showing improvement. That's the responsibility of the coaches.

If you're gonna criticize caldwell for anything, it should be his youth approach. It wasnt reasonable to expect to have any sort of success with that much youth playing a big role last year, or this year for that matter. Should have retained/signed more vets. Then we would have had some real competition. At the very least we probably wouldnt be having so many mental mistakes.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 07:13 PM by clfcrn777.)

If heads do roll, Dave will survive longer than Gus. He'll get another shot at hiring a coach.

I think we're getting to a point where the youth approach isnt working well in the short run, and like gene, we will start adding more vets next year. Gene's approach wasnt wrong, he just had a HORRIBLE eye for talent.

A certain blogger said "what do you expect, theyre starting castoffs and a 6th rounder at FS." True, but it didnt have to be that way. That was Dave's choice.

Quote:Okay, here's the thing: regardless of how talented the players are that caldwell drafted, they should be showing improvement. That's the responsibility of the coaches.

If you're gonna criticize caldwell for anything, it should be his youth approach. It wasnt reasonable to expect to have any sort of success with that much youth playing a big role last year, or this year for that matter. Should have retained/signed more vets. Then we would have had some real competition. At the very least we probably wouldnt be having so many mental mistakes.
I agree. But we shouldn't be surprised. They said they're building this for a sustainable success. That means young.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 07:16 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:If heads do roll, Dave will survive longer than Gus. He'll get another shot at hiring a coach.

I think we're getting to a point where the youth approach isnt working well in the short run, and like gene, we will start adding more vets next year. Gene's approach wasnt wrong, he just had a HORRIBLE eye for talent.
Why does Gus get fired and Caldwell get a pass? Caldwell is the mastermind behind all of this. Why wouldn't we just start over at the top and work down?

I'm not talking in terms of what could happen but what would you as a fan like to see at the end of the season with these two?

Quote:I agree. But we shouldn't be surprised. They said they're building this for a sustainable success. That means young.

But clearly there's a little TOO much youth in prominent roles right now. They wanted bortles to sit and learn for a while.... So why havent they taken that approach with other guys? I mean other than Cyp and Bortles, we havent drafted any guy where you're like "BOOM, instant difference maker". So why are those guys starting?

Quote:Why does Gus get fired and Caldwell get a pass? Caldwell is the mastermind behind all of this. Why wouldn't we just start over at the top and work down?

I'm not talking in terms of what could happen but what would you as a fan like to see at the end of the season with these two?

If bortles is a bright spot, caldwell isnt going anywhere. Caldwell's fate is tied to bortles. But the coaches are much more visibly at fault here. Regardless of inexperience/talent, good coaching should lead to improvement. It hasnt.

Quote:But clearly there's a little TOO much youth in prominent roles right now. They wanted bortles to sit and learn for a while.... So why havent they taken that approach with other guys? I mean other than Cyp and Bortles, we havent drafted any guy where you're like "BOOM, instant difference maker". So why are those guys starting?

The veterans we had went 2-14 though. So it's basically which do you want. An old team that goes 2-14 or a young team with upside that went 4-12. They both are bad but at least the younger players can improve. Hopefully lol

Quote:Why does Gus get fired and Caldwell get a pass? Caldwell is the mastermind behind all of this. Why wouldn't we just start over at the top and work down?

I dont think they should get fired, but if this season is like last year's season, then year 3 will be a do-or-die season with their heads on the line.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:But clearly there's a little TOO much youth in prominent roles right now. They wanted bortles to sit and learn for a while.... So why havent they taken that approach with other guys? I mean other than Cyp and Bortles, we havent drafted any guy where you're like "BOOM, instant difference maker". So why are those guys starting?
Hey, I agree on the defensive end. We were really excited about Lee and Robinson and I think they're doing well and you can see that they will be good. We need another BOOM defensive pick this draft