Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It's time to question coaching

Quote:I like Gus too.  Doesn't mean I think he's the best coach for the job...

Mid rebuild is the best time to get a new coach...  The GM seems to know some things...  The coaching staff is kinda inept...

maybe. cant say for sure yet. its gonna take a few more games but if we are sitting 8 games in and have no wins..... then something has to give.

any insight on potential replacements?

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Honestly, a couple offensive calls here or there, and the game could have been in our grasp.  Yes, you're right, the Chargers are a better team in certain respects, primarily on offense...  But this game wasn't out of our grasp...  

Our D is pretty bad, but we held up on occassion...  What kills me is that there are sequences on offense where I'm wondering what the OC is even watching...  And there are times where I think we play a Base D that is comfortable allowing the QB to hang out and pick where to exploit our secondary.

I just don't think the coaches even understand the concept of what it means to put your players in the best position to utilize their strengths...  Besides the Raiders, it seems that every other franchise has pretty much figured that out...
This is understandable. I felt the same way on the fourth and 1 run that Gerhart failed to get. Like why did we call that? But on the other had is it out of the realm to believe he would struggle to pick up one yard. 

Is that a bad play or poor execution? We also have to realize that another team was out there and they have guys who are just better than ours. To me I think we were fine play calling wise. We just got out manned today. How many times did we see guys covering Rivers and no one even bothered to jump or stick a hand out to grab the guy? They was one blitz I just knew we got him and he just ran out of the way lol. 

It frustrating but I do think it's a combination of youth and talent. 

The Jags actually have some very winnable games coming up in the next 3 games.

I know, don't laugh.

There is no reason why Gus and the rest of the coaching staff can't find a way to keep the Jags competitive and in each of the next 3 games. NONE.

Come on Gus "DO YOUR JOB"

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I like Gus too.  Doesn't mean I think he's the best coach for the job...

Mid rebuild is the best time to get a new coach...  The GM seems to know some things...  The coaching staff is kinda inept...

What makes you think the GM knows somethings? if anything I'm MORE worried about the GM than the coach. Spending a 2nd overall pick on a LT when we had HUGE holes all over the roster, then gutting the secondary and plugging in rookies with journeymen was ok for one season, but then we went into this season with the journeymen thinking they where good enough. 

gutted the oline and once again went and spent money on the Guard, plugged in his rookies and it's the worse online in our history. Don't forget we've got a 2nd overall pick and a huge free agent on that line!? 

Went and spent big to grab Gerhart, that's looking like a huge mistake.

Geno Hayes to replace Daryl Smith another dud.

Aside from Bortles I'm really concerned about almost every move we've made on the personnel side. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Ehh the team just isn't packed with good players. That's really it. I know people are tired of hearing that and think 2 years should be enough time to build the niners defense but reality it's not. They didn't have any dominate players to build around and are in the process of finding them. If you don't want to wait any longer, then thats fine and totally understandable. But if you want true insight to why the defense is bad and the offense is spurting at times, that's why. Enough time just has not passed yet.

The team is the same but given a closer look, the people running it are different and should be given a chance just like the previous regimes.

If not having enough good players was the lone issue, we wouldnt be competitive in the first half.

Adjustments are a big part of coaching

Quote:We always blame coaches. Never gets us anywhere. We have the youngest team! This is what it's like.
Young is not an excuse for inept. 

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:I like Gus, and I think a lot of the game is players not plays.

but why change our strategy after halftime like that?

ive voiced my opinion about the offensive playcalling in other threads. not smart at this point.

I didnt think gus would be on the hot seat, i still dont think he is, but i think the seat is starting to heat up. if we dont get competitive against the steelers, i think he might start feeling some heat.

also important to note: who is out there that would even be a potential candidate to come in during mid rebuild and right this ship, if that were to happen?

I'd say there are definite potential high profile coaches bc of one reason Blake Bortles.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:What makes you think the GM knows somethings? if anything I'm MORE worried about the GM than the coach. Spending a 2nd overall pick on a LT when we had HUGE holes all over the roster, then gutting the secondary and plugging in rookies with journeymen was ok for one season, but then we went into this season with the journeymen thinking they where good enough. 

gutted the oline and once again went and spent money on the Guard, plugged in his rookies and it's the worse online in our history. Don't forget we've got a 2nd overall pick and a huge free agent on that line!? 

Went and spent big to grab Gerhart, that's looking like a huge mistake.

Geno Hayes to replace Daryl Smith another dud.

Aside from Bortles I'm really concerned about almost every move we've made on the personnel side. 

Well thanks so much for destroying the only shred of optimism I had left....  Jerk....

LOL!

No, you make valid points...  But the hit on Bortles makes me much more lenient on Caldwell than perhaps I should be.  

Plus, Cyp was a good choice...  Not to mention the WR staff looks like they would be legit if they had a play caller that wouldn't get so lame when the game got interesting...   

But you'e right. The Joeckel pick was kinda an obvious choke job, picking an LT because it was obviously safe...  But I'm still fairly confident in him at this point...  I think a better chef and better line cooks could do better with the ingredients that we are currently serving up...  But that's just me.

As for who would be a better coach and better coaching staff?  That's beyond my pay scale, but I know that this current crop isn't gonna cut it unless they really begin to figure out how to coach and make adjustments both during the week and during halftime...

Quote:FBT's thread regarding DD is ringing more and more true.

The coaching staff is blaming the players for things the coaching staff should be responsible for.

It's pretty simple stuff if you ask me. I think the the GM has done a pretty good job of acquiring talent. I think the coaches are doing pretty good job of botching the whole thing.

It's not even just Fish anymore that I'm worried about. But it is mainly him that I think will ruin this franchise if they keep him on beyond this year. He's an attrocious OC for the type of QB BB5 has the potential of becoming...

If guys are missing assignments this often, then the coaches arent hammering the point home. That's a coaching issue. Couldnt agree more.

Quote:Well thanks so much for destroying the only shred of optimism I had left....  Jerk....

LOL!

No, you make valid points...  But the hit on Bortles makes me much more lenient on Caldwell than perhaps I should be.  

Plus, Cyp was a good choice...  Not to mention the WR staff looks like they would be legit if they had a play caller that wouldn't get so lame when the game got interesting...   

But you'e right. The Joeckel pick was kinda an obvious choke job, picking an LT because it was obviously safe...  But I'm still fairly confident in him at this point...  I think a better chef and better line cooks could do better with the ingredients that we are currently serving up...  But that's just me.

As for who would be a better coach and better coaching staff?  That's beyond my pay scale, but I know that this current crop isn't gonna cut it unless they really begin to figure out how to coach and make adjustments both during the week and during halftime...

it's the Secondary and the Oline for me that just drives me nuts. When Caldwell was hired we had a decent secondary and the Oline needed a Center and RT. Now two years after making changes at almost every position in those units, both units look significantly worse!

Quote:I'd say there are definite potential high profile coaches bc of one reason Blake Bortles.

id be kind of intrigued to see jon gruden make a coaching come back. most of the time i would be against it because when coaches are away from the game too long, it evolves without them, but due to how much exposure he has to announcing and everything they have him do with the X and O stuff, i think he is pretty up to date on todays NFL.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:it's the Secondary and the Oline for me that just drives me nuts. When Caldwell was hired we had a decent secondary and the Oline needed a Center and RT. Now two years after making changes at almost every position in those units, both units look significantly worse!

How was it a decent secondary? Do you really think losing Derek Cox and Dawan Landry was that big of a deal?

Quote:Please tell me that you are kidding.
About Toby or KT?

Quote:How was it a decent secondary? Do you really think losing Derek Cox and Dawan Landry was that big of a deal?

No it's the moves made to replace them all at once. When you cut 7 DB's in one offseason while having problems at LB, DE, and DT you're asking for trouble. 2 years later the secondary is worse, the pass rush is no better, and the LB core is getting old and will need to be seriously upgraded next offseason.

We're a top 10 team in the 1st half....

Not certain if I'm just getting older or became immune to losing badly because I can honestly admit the game today didn't bother me one bit.

Gus will stay through next year because the entire Caldwell philosophy is based on the 3-year plan.

Quote:Ok baffled we completely stopped going down field in the 2nd half

Maybe San Diego adjusted at half, and focused mainly on taking that away? IDK for sure, but I'd say that had something to do with it.

Plus, it looked like their pressure was getting to BB much quicker in the 2nd half on many more plays, forcing quicker decisions.

Quote:If not having enough good players was the lone issue, we wouldnt be competitive in the first half.

Adjustments are a big part of coaching
It would be if you are in it in the beginning then the other team makes adjustments to attack you lesser players and blow you away in the second half. The point I'm making is we did play another group of players out there. We made adjustments and they made adjustments. The issue now is they have better players and now their adjustments will be seen in the plays and our wont. We played a better team period. 

We have a collection of solid and players. But solid isn't gonna do much for you. We have to acquire more elite level players for this defense to show up.

On another note I do believe we were in this game because Bortles played and was able to extend drives and eat clock opposed to going 3 and out and the game being prolonged. When that stared happening in the second half that's when the game got away from us. 

Quote:No it's the moves made to replace them all at once. When you cut 7 DB's in one offseason while having problems at LB, DE, and DT you're asking for trouble. 2 years later the secondary is worse, the pass rush is no better, and the LB core is getting old and will need to be seriously upgraded next offseason.

You said the secondary was decent when Caldwell took over and it wasn't. Landry was terrible. Cyprien has been a clear upgrade. Cox was worse with injuries than Shorts and was a free agent. Aaron Ross was god awful. Not sure what you are complaining about there.

Quote:To be honest I don't believe Caldwell and Bradley wouldn't have take these jobs had they known they wouldn't be given proper time to acquire talent and develop. This team was trash when this staff got here. Any other opinion about this rosters makeup would be asinine. 
They've been given ample amount of time to present something that resembles an NFL team on the field

No coaches should be allowed to stay the course on a defense that is 32nd in nearly every ranking.

They have to do something about this, and moving around a few players isn't going to fix it. Something has to be done because this staff should not be in charge of this team if this defense stays the way it is all season.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.