Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New Desktop PC Needed

Looking to upgrade my home desktop into something more modern and versatile. Looking for something that's solid, lots of memory and speed ability, and with a fari/affordable price. Any suggestions? I've looked around everywhere on the web, and it's just so much out there that I would rather here from some folks on here who are already set-up with something they like.

Thanks

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I generally care about 3 things. It has to have 4 CPU cores (or an Intel i7 to keep it simple), a nvidia video card, and a solid state drive. Get these three things and everything else falls into place. I generally stay far away from anything HP, but am indifferent to the other brands. I'd personally never get a desktop, but I know desktops have generally better specs on average for people who don't mind them.

I bought an Acer desktop about 4 years ago for about 400 bucks. Pretty fast still and has been really reliable.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I generally care about 3 things. It has to have 4 CPU cores (or an Intel i7 to keep it simple), a nvidia video card, and a solid state drive. Get these three things and everything else falls into place. I generally stay far away from anything HP, but am indifferent to the other brands. I'd personally never get a desktop, but I know desktops have generally better specs on average for people who don't mind them.
SSDs are very nice and miles better than normal HDDs but I think the price might be a bit much in this case. 

Whats your price range and what do you want to do with the computer? 

Quote:SSDs are very nice and miles better than normal HDDs but I think the price might be a bit much in this case. 

Yea, you could definitely get away without an SSD.  But it's just one thing that sets computers apart these days.  As far as price, I think you can probably get something in the $300 to $500 range here which is perfect for doing most things people do on computers.  I mentioned the higher specs because I need it for specific things. 

My advice to Caldrac would be to at least figure out the exact cpu and video card it comes with and check it's benchmark.  Either just google it, or go to cpubenchmark.net/videocardbenchmark.net.  It's really the only way to get an idea which computer may perform better.

Quote:SSDs are very nice and miles better than normal HDDs but I think the price might be a bit much in this case.
Agreed. They are terrific, but pricey. Worth every penny though.

If you have the technical savvy to follow instructions, you can build a quick machine pretty affordably. Machines today are really simple to configure.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

They aren't as bad as they used to be, they're like 40-80¢ a gb now for sata drives, well worth the money. 

Quote:They aren't as bad as they used to be, they're like 40-80¢ [/size]

a gb now for sata drives, well worth the money.

My 512GB SSD cost 279 euros a few months ago. For that money I could buy four 1TB HDDs. SSDs are getting cheaper but they are not yet a viable option for a budget machine IMO.

I also will be in the market for a new computer after I upload all of my pictures amd some Word documents for permanent storage because several times it did not turn on all day. I thrink it's 4 years old now. My requirements include Wimdows 8.1 and an "all in one" monitor, which is the new thing out now (CPUs are being phased out.)

Quote: (CPUs are being phased out.)
That's a new one for me. Did some tell Intel or AMD?

Quote:(CPUs are being phased out.)

Haha, no.

Quote:My 512GB SSD cost 279 euros a few months ago. For that money I could buy four 1TB HDDs. SSDs are getting cheaper but they are not yet a viable option for a budget machine IMO.

Depends on how you use the budget machine, if you're just a light user I would say get a ssd over a hdd as you might not need the space anyways.  I remember I changed out my parents old 120gb ide hard drive with an ssd  they had like 30 gbs used of the available space, and that's including the space that windows use. 

I never knew you could use that little space, I have total 3tbs and just ordered a 3tb hdd from newegg. 

Quote:Haha, no.

I heard it at H.H. Gregg. The clerk showed me an all-in-one monitor and said, "This is the direction they're going." In other words, CPUs are being phased out.

Quote:I heard it at H.H. Gregg. The clerk showed me an all-in-one monitor and said, "This is the direction they're going." In other words, CPUs are being phased out.

That's something like going to the Ford dealership and a rep trying to sell ya blinker fluid.. Buy it in bulk..

Quote:That's something like going to the Ford dealership and a rep trying to sell ya blinker fluid.. Buy it in bulk..

Huh?

Quote:I heard it at H.H. Gregg. The clerk showed me an all-in-one monitor and said, "This is the direction they're going." In other words, CPUs are being phased out.

The disconnect you're having is cpu isn't synonymous with desktop pc.  CPU's aren't going anywhere anything soon, even the all in one computers you're talking about has a cpu in it.  

In short the cpu is the processing chip that drives the machine

Quote:Huh?

Everyone knows you don't buy anything from the dealerships. Even blinker fluid. You go to a discount store and get it for half price..

Quote:Everyone knows you don't buy anything from the dealerships. Even blinker fluid. You go to a discount store and get it for half price..
Same can be said for muffler bearings...

Anyway, I opted for SSD in my new laptop....after using it for a few weeks...I sat down at my desktop and I can't stand it. 

Whatever the cost, it's worth it to have your OS on an SSD. 

If you want to go cheap with something and you aren't a gamer, take the extra video card money and use it on the SSD...or buy some ram from aliexpress or something. 

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Quote:Same can be said for muffler bearings...

Anyway, I opted for SSD in my new laptop....after using it for a few weeks...I sat down at my desktop and I can't stand it.

Whatever the cost, it's worth it to have your OS on an SSD.

If you want to go cheap with something and you aren't a gamer, take the extra video card money and use it on the SSD...or buy some ram from aliexpress or something.

Oh god.. Those things can be so damn expensive.. And it's like the dealership has a monopoly on muffler bearings.. The only ones I found around here are Gator and Buckeye colors.