Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New Desktop PC Needed

Quote:Same can be said for muffler bearings...

Anyway, I opted for SSD in my new laptop....after using it for a few weeks...I sat down at my desktop and I can't stand it. 

Whatever the cost, it's worth it to have your OS on an SSD. 

If you want to go cheap with something and you aren't a gamer, take the extra video card money and use it on the SSD...or buy some ram from aliexpress or something. 

You can drop the optical drive also, I bought one bluray drive for one of my htpcs just to rip my collection to a hard drive, and just unplugged it after that. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The disconnect you're having is cpu isn't synonymous with desktop pc.  CPU's aren't going anywhere anything soon, even the all in one computers you're talking about has a cpu in it.  

In short the cpu is the processing chip that drives the machine
I've heard that misconception from other people.  They think the desktop case housing the drives, memory and power supply is the CPU.

Quote:I've heard that misconception from other people.  They think the desktop case housing the drives, memory and power supply is the CPU.

What the clerk said is going away is the tower that holds the CPU, motherboard, hard drive, portable disk drives, memory card slots, and power button.

Quote:What the clerk said is going away is the tower that holds the CPU, motherboard, hard drive, portable disk drives, memory card slots, and power button.

He is somewhat right. For most casual users like yourself the tower is fading away to a more all-in-one setup. For power users like myself and most others in this thread the versatility and adaptability of the tower is base requirement that simply isn't offered by such a product.

Quote:He is somewhat right. For most casual users like yourself the tower is fading away to a more all-in-one setup. For power users like myself and most others in this thread the versatility and adaptability of the tower is base requirement that simply isn't offered by such a product.

"power users" = game players. It's okay, you can say it.

BF4!!!!!!!  6 core intel, GTX 780 ti!

Huh

Quote:"power users" = game players. It's okay, you can say it.

Or those downloading lots of Korean..."movies".
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Ultimately my price range is in that $600 - $1200 range. Ultimately, here is what I would like to do. My desktop PC is probably around eight or nine years old. I've had to replace the fan recently which is fine. I am not into gaming on the PC. So I could careless about that piece of it. My biggest thing is this. Creating space in my game room. I have an outdated desk eating up a good chunk of space in the corner of the room, and just basically looking to replace it completely with a nice couch or something in there. So, again, I am not really all that tech savy. I practically use my cellphone now to search stuff around the web or to pay some bills. So essentially, I am looking for something I guess like a laptop that's easy to tote around with a respectable screen size for watching videos or being on the forum or paying bills, etc. And also, something that can be connected to my router and modem without compromising my wifi connection with my gaming consoles (if that makes sense, again, not tech savy XD).

Thanks

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:"power users" = game players. It's okay, you can say it.
For myself, yeah. But other people in this forum might use theirs for editing or engineering purposes. 

Quote:Or those downloading lots of Korean..."movies".
That wouldn't require a lot power at all. 

Quote:Ultimately my price range is in that $600 - $1200 range. Ultimately, here is what I would like to do. My desktop PC is probably around eight or nine years old. I've had to replace the fan recently which is fine. I am not into gaming on the PC. So I could careless about that piece of it. My biggest thing is this. Creating space in my game room. I have an outdated desk eating up a good chunk of space in the corner of the room, and just basically looking to replace it completely with a nice couch or something in there. So, again, I am not really all that tech savy. I practically use my cellphone now to search stuff around the web or to pay some bills. So essentially, I am looking for something I guess like a laptop that's easy to tote around with a respectable screen size for watching videos or being on the forum or paying bills, etc. And also, something that can be connected to my router and modem without compromising my wifi connection with my gaming consoles (if that makes sense, again, not tech savy XD).

Thanks
Then get a laptop around $700. That'll do you fine for the next few years and the mobility will allow you to free up some space.

Also, the correct term is couldn't care less. 

What about the Microsoft Surface Pro 3?

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

If that's all you want you could get by with a tablet really. 

Quote:He is somewhat right. For most casual users like yourself the tower is fading away to a more all-in-one setup. For power users like myself and most others in this thread the versatility and adaptability of the tower is base requirement that simply isn't offered by such a product.
I've got a huge Alienware tower from like a decade ago. I'll never get rid of it!

Quote:Or those downloading lots of Korean..."movies".
Uh huh huh...Bevis

Quote:What about the Microsoft Surface Pro 3?
That's what I was thinking. However, I don't think he even needs the Pro. He'd probably by ok with the Surface 2 but, he would need to determine that himself 

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Quote:What about the Microsoft Surface Pro 3?

I honestly hate those things.  It's really just a tablet that runs windows programs.  It's horrible as a laptop.  The keyboard is nearly unusable, and the fact that you need a stand to keep the screen vertical is dumb.  I you wanted a tablet just get an android one.  I also wouldn't rule out a Chromebook if you want a laptop, or at least see if they would suit your needs.  

Quote:I honestly hate those things.  It's really just a tablet that runs windows programs.  It's horrible as a laptop.  The keyboard is nearly unusable, and the fact that you need a stand to keep the screen vertical is dumb.  I you wanted a tablet just get an android one.  I also wouldn't rule out a Chromebook if you want a laptop, or at least see if they would suit your needs.  
I have an Asus Transformer TF701T, it's very nice. Especially after they updated the software on it.

OK I thought you were unaware of the change becase of where you live, Mr. Warning.

Quote:OK I thought you were unaware of the change becase of where you live, Mr. Warning.
I build my own PC's, I would know if one of the fundamental pieces of a PC was being phased out, ms. Can't Follow The Rules. 

Quote:I build my own PC's, I would know if one of the fundamental pieces of a PC was being phased out, ms. Can't Follow The Rules. 

LOL Sorry, I did not know that rule.

HAHA JW broke a rule!? Really?

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Quote:I build my own PC's, I would know if one of the fundamental pieces of a PC was being phased out, ms. Can't Follow The Rules. 

let me have "family" access to your steam account.