Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New Desktop PC Needed

Quote:If the power goes out for a few seconds, it does not turn on again for the rest of the day even if I unplug the power cord from both ends.

Sounds like your power supply has issues. And you have possibly purchased an HP. In my experience the only hardware that goes bad on a desktop are hard drives and power supply. But most of the time it's a software situation (or some form of user error).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Sounds like your power supply has issues. And you have possibly purchased an HP. In my experience the only hardware that goes bad on a desktop are hard drives and power supply. But most of the time it's a software situation (or some form of user error).

I take it only HP computers have this problem?

Quote:Related question; how many of you have more than one monitor. I have had dual monitors for a few years at home and at the job I started a year ago and I never want to go back. Even if I don't really need the second monitor I still don't like it if I'm forced to work on a single screen setup.

I started using about a year ago. My kitten knocked over one a couple of months ago so I invested in a proper desk mount and two identical monitors because it drove me crazy using the single monitor setup for even a day. I've spread the addiction to my family too. Even my mom runs two monitors now.

Quote:I take it only HP computers have this problem?

No, other computers can have hardware failures too. Store bought systems are probably more likely to have these issues than one that is built by hand because the parts tend to be higher quality when you are the one picking them out rather than a company trying to maximize profits.

Quote:I generally care about 3 things. It has to have 4 CPU cores (or an Intel i7 to keep it simple), a nvidia video card, and a solid state drive. Get these three things and everything else falls into place. I generally stay far away from anything HP, but am indifferent to the other brands. I'd personally never get a desktop, but I know desktops have generally better specs on average for people who don't mind them.
I'd agree with everything except Intel/Nvidia being a must. AMD/ATI can't dream to reach their ceiling, but AMD CPUs a great value and ATI cards are safer and not really that far behind Nvidia. I'd also call the SSD a luxury right now, but that's just my opinion

I will say that from a sheer performance standard Intel takes a dump all over AMD. 

Quote:I also will be in the market for a new computer after I upload all of my pictures amd some Word documents for permanent storage because several times it did not turn on all day. I thrink it's 4 years old now. My requirements include Wimdows 8.1 and an "all in one" monitor, which is the new thing out now (CPUs are being phased out.)

Oh JW...

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:I started using about a year ago. My kitten knocked over one a couple of months ago so I invested in a proper desk mount and two identical monitors because it drove me crazy using the single monitor setup for even a day. I've spread the addiction to my family too. Even my mom runs two monitors now.

No, other computers can have hardware failures too. Store bought systems are probably more likely to have these issues than one that is built by hand because the parts tend to be higher quality when you are the one picking them out rather than a company trying to maximize profits.

Fortunately no cat has tipped over my monitor yet, but the speakers have been knocked down by cats walking behind it. Mom said I will still need the speakers with an all in one system because my hearing sucks.

Nobody I know can build a computer for me, so I have to buy it. For now I am just hoping I can keep this thing alive for 12 more months!

Settled on this, based on the price and versatility.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/seri...reswitch10

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Settled on this, based on the price and versatility.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/seri...reswitch10
If the free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10 is true then I want one of those too.

Quote:Settled on this, based on the price and versatility.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspireswitch10'>http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspireswitch10</a>

Very nice

Quote:Windows still has a 85% market share in the OS market. IE holds a 50% market share on desktops. MS Office is near ubiquitous, even on Macs. Sure, it's not quite the lofty highs they had in the 90's but MS is still very much the company to beat. 

But they do not own the internet, no one really owns the internet. Nor do they own computing, because there is a lot more to computers than the OS, browser and office suite.

There are a lot of conflicting reports for market share on browsers.  Some have IE as high as 58%, while others have it as low as 19%.  

Statcounter lists Chrome as the winner with 48.7%, and IE at 23%

W3 Counter lists Chrome as the winner at 38% and IE at 19%

Wikimedia lists Chrome as the winner at 45.9% and IE at 11.7%

NetApplications lists IE as the winner at 58.3% with Chrome with 19.3%

NetApplications has admitted though that their statistics are skewed.  And that they use a weighing system.  I'd say that W3 is probably the most accurate of those, but it'd be difficult to really say for certain.

MS Office however dominates the market share.  Though I personally prefer and use Apache Open Office (because it's also free), I think MS Office will probably always dominate the market share in regards to that.  I think that IE use however will continue to decline.  As we get a more tech savvy generation, we have people who are less likely to just use what's already on the system, and actually take a few minutes out to download their favorite browser.  IE often just can't do what people need it to do.  And web programmers tend to like it less than less.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Ahhh, the joy of multiple effects plug-ins running at once.  

Yep.  Although, I'm still using a ten year old desktop PC with an equally old DAW (Sonar 4). It works for me for what I do, but I can't really try anything new.  Friends send me links wanting me to try a free plug-in and I have to tell them that I doubt my PC would even it run it.