Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles has 10th strongest arm in NFL

Per this latest report on NFL.com.... 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000400156/article/matthew-stafford-leads-list-of-top-10-strongest-arms?campaign=Facebook_atn_wesseling 

Quote:10. Blake BortlesJaguars: The No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft gained 20 yards or more onone-third of his preseason passes versus less than 10 percent for Chad Henne. According to Pro Football Focus' metrics, Bortles had the NFL's highest accuracy percentage on preseason deep throws. Bortles also made a series of impressive stick throws from the pocket and was accurate on the move.

Pretty good company for a kid who hasn't played a full game yet, and was considered to have an average arm coming out of college.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think he should be ahead of Luck and RG3.

No way Luck has a stronger arm!

Quote:I think he should be ahead of Luck and RG3.

No way Luck has a stronger arm!

He may have been higher if had more NFL gametime by now.

He may not be a starter, but Michael Vick still has the strongest arm I have ever seen. The ball jumps out of that guy's hand like none other.

Based on what we have seen so far, does anybody think J.P. Shadrick or John Oehser (probably John despite what I posted earlier) was not crazy to say Bortles has the potential to be almost as good as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees? I don't know if you can compare his arm strength to those guys, but he has the mental makeup to be that good if all of the physical tools are there.

Aaron Rodgers cannon makes Mike Vick look like a squirt gun.

Rodgers and Stafford I would put at the top with Cutler and flacco slightly behind

Quote:He may not be a starter, but Michael Vick still has the strongest arm I have ever seen. The ball jumps out of that guy's hand like none other.
Say what you want about him but I'm amazed when he just flicks his wrist and throws a 70 yd bomb

One of the knocks on him coming out of college was his arm strength... Now, in almost 5 months it's the 10th strongest in the league.

Nice article on ESPN about Blake

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jag...api_public

Quote:Per this latest report on NFL.com.... 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000400156/article/matthew-stafford-leads-list-of-top-10-strongest-arms?campaign=Facebook_atn_wesseling 

Pretty good company for a kid who hasn't played a full game yet, and was considered to have an average arm coming out of college.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-rave...in-the-NFL

Here's the video link with analyst breaking down the top 10 strongest arms list. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Based on what we have seen so far, does anybody think J.P. Shadrick or John Oehser (probably John despite what I posted earlier) was not crazy to say Bortles has the potential to be almost as good as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees? I don't know if you can compare his arm strength to those guys, but he has the mental makeup to be that good if all of the physical tools are there.

From what I've seen, just based on the eye test, Bortles has the potential to be as good as anybody. 

Quote:Per this latest report on NFL.com.... 

I think its a great thing considering he's only played one half of a game & a few preseason games yet they want him ranked 10th in the entire NFL QBs....

considering college /NFL draft rankings said he had an average NFL arm and not a lot of deep throw ability....

Give him the rest of this season with the leagues worst Offense & after he is able to make them look good his rankings will go up....

If Bortles was what he is right now in his last year in College, would he be an overwhelming first round selection? A mere couple of months of work with a QB coach, tweaking his mechanics and he has a rocket arm, and potential to be another Aaron Rodgers? I recall the talk of him having a mediocre arm, poor foot work. Who knew he had all of this potential just right under the surface. So glad we got him.

Quote:Say what you want about him but I'm amazed when he just flicks his wrist and throws a 70 yd bomb

If you look at tape of his throws, you can see him using his lower body for power.   That's something he supposedly didn't do in college.   And now, the ball just jumps out of his hand.   He's a big strong kid with a lot of natural athletic ability, so there was no reason he couldn't learn to throw with better velocity.   Kudos to Dave Caldwell for recognizing that.  

Quote:Aaron Rodgers cannon makes Mike Vick look like a squirt gun.

You clearly don't remember Vick at his prime

Quote:Based on what we have seen so far, does anybody think J.P. Shadrick or John Oehser (probably John despite what I posted earlier) was not crazy to say Bortles has the potential to be almost as good as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees? I don't know if you can compare his arm strength to those guys, but he has the mental makeup to be that good if all of the physical tools are there.

This statement is completely backwards.  He does have the physical tools.  We KNOW that.  What we don't know is if he has the mental aspect to become elite like Rodgers or Brees.  And Brees is not even a top 10 arm in the league.  He is just really smart.

How can you tell Bortles has the mental makeup in just one half of action? lol.  All you can tell so far is that he has an arm and a great foundation to build on.

Quote:If you look at tape of his throws, you can see him using his lower body for power.   That's something he supposedly didn't do in college.   And now, the ball just jumps out of his hand.   He's a big strong kid with a lot of natural athletic ability, so there was no reason he couldn't learn to throw with better velocity.   Kudos to Dave Caldwell for recognizing that.  

I believe he was talking about Vick.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM by knarnn.)

Arm strength is one of the most overrated things when it comes to QBs. As long as he can make "all the throws" and drive the ball then its good enough.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

This needs an asterisk by it that says as long as Bortles' mechanics are solid. As his college tape, early practices, and Sunday showed, if those mechanics are off he loses a ton of velocity. This has to do with his footwork. The other quarterbacks on that list don't have this issue. They can literally arm it and still have solid velocity while Bortles can't.