Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles has 10th strongest arm in NFL

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 10:29 AM by badger.)

Quote:This needs an asterisk by it that says as long as Bortles' mechanics are solid. As his college tape, early practices, and Sunday showed, if those mechanics are off he loses a ton of velocity. This has to do with his footwork. The other quarterbacks on that list don't have this issue. They can literally arm it and still have solid velocity while Bortles can't.

nope.  the TD throw to Hurns on the hitch in preseason at DET was all arm and had zip on it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That is the thing Ive noticed with Blake unlike the others in the top 10 as how fast his short yardage passes are (reminds me of Dan Marino) in addition to the accuracy, mobilitiy & perfect throws while on the run, and considering he's only a rookie...

huge potential to grow into a great franchise QB!

Quote:This needs an asterisk by it that says as long as Bortles' mechanics are solid. As his college tape, early practices, and Sunday showed, if those mechanics are off he loses a ton of velocity. This has to do with his footwork. The other quarterbacks on that list don't have this issue. They can literally arm it and still have solid velocity while Bortles can't.

Hate to break it to you but that's not how throwing works.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Aaron Rodgers cannon makes Mike Vick look like a squirt gun.

Lol. Not even close.

Quote:Say what you want about him but I'm amazed when he just flicks his wrist and throws a 70 yd bomb

Yep. The best pure arm talent I have ever seen. And his delivery is so effortless. It really is a beautiful sight when he launches one.

Quote:Yep. The best pure arm talent I have ever seen. And his delivery is so effortless. It really is a beautiful sight when he launches one.

great arm but his delivery is flawed.  he winds up his throws so his release takes longer.

Quote:Yep. The best pure arm talent I have ever seen. And his delivery is so effortless. It really is a beautiful sight when he launches one.

You guys might be a bit young to remember it, but the best arm I've seen was Namath and after him was Marino.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/...wing-style

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/090...ard-season

It's not just how far a guy throws, there have been a lot of guys in the NFL that can throw it 70 yards.

Quote:You guys might be a bit young to remember it, but the best arm I've seen was Namath and after him was Marino.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/...wing-style

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/090...ard-season

It's not just how far a guy throws, there have been a lot of guys in the NFL that can throw it 70 yards.

lol Namath?  how old are you?

Quote:lol Namath?  how old are you?

Old enough to remember Namath as having the best arm I've seen. :whistling:

Quote:I believe he was talking about Vick.

Oh, you're right.   Sorry. 

Right now my gut feeling is that Bortles will end up a lot like Favre. There's not enough data to be certain, but looking at his aggressiveness and refusal to give up on a play makes me think he could be a very good QB while still being inconsistent throughout his career. Personally I'm willing to accept a few 4-5 INT games if he also has some hot streaks in the playoffs through his career.

Jay Cutler has a strong arm, but bad decision making does him in all the time.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 01:21 PM by Caldrac.)

We'll see. Now that he's the starter he'll have more chances to showcase his arm strength. Pretty crazy seeing him ranked 10th overall. With that said, it's pretty hard to argue with that when you conisder his size and as noted, his ability to make the deep throws. Stafford, Cutler, and Rodgers are easily in the top three. It's funny they all play in the NFC North. But those guys can sling it with little to no effort. Flacco and Big Ben would have to be in there. After that, I am not sure who else to look at.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 01:28 PM by Atreas.)

Impressive, 10th strongest arm after only playing 2 quarters in the season sweet. I cant wait to see these stats after the season. :thumbsup:

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM by sublime92.)

Did y'all know Leftwich has the strongest arm a few years back. Could throw 80yrds plus

Quote:One of the knocks on him coming out of college was his arm strength... Now, in almost 5 months it's the 10th strongest in the league.

Amazing what coaching and better mechanics can do.

Quote:Did y'all know Leftwich has the strongest arm a few years back. Could throw 80yrds plus

Leftwich never had the strongest arm. Maybe he could throw far, but when you have that windmill wind-up to manage it that's not a strong arm.

Quote:Did y'all know Leftwich has the strongest arm a few years back. Could throw 80yrds plus

Strong arm, incredibly slow throwing motion.

Leftwich couldn't throw a screen pass. Everything was a 90 mph fastball.

And his fade route throws were comical.

Him and Tebow threw identical

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 02:42 PM by TrueFan.)

Color me teal, but I honestly think we have THE best QB in the league. Okay, he has alot to prove (without the crucial aspect of avoiding injury).

Bortles is absolutely amazing. He truly does remind me of Peyton's first year, whipping darts all around the field. And he seems damn smart too (which is what truly makes Peyton great).

Like the rest of this rookie heavy team, he must learn to showcase his talent without getting hurt...that is THE key to his, and the entire team's hope for success.