Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles has 10th strongest arm in NFL

Jamarcus Russell could throw it from the 50yd line on his knees through the goal post..... You don't have to have the strongest arm to succeed. It just has to be strong enough.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Kyle Boller could do the same as well. But Arm Strength is still important when you look at today's Elite QB's. They either operate and control the game within their system, or they can launch the football in any and all spaces on a frozen rope and then some.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Blake does look so effortless slinging the rock down the middle of the field, or the sideline for that matter.  He is going to be good.  It may not be this year, but it will be soon.  Heck, he has already shown he is better than a 7 year vet in 1 half of football.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Color me teal, but I honestly think we have THE best QB in the league. Okay, he has alot to prove (without the crucial aspect of avoiding injury).

Bortles is absolutely amazing. He truly does remind me of Peyton's first year, whipping darts all around the field. And he seems damn smart too (which is what truly makes Peyton great).

Like the rest of this rookie heavy team, he must learn to showcase his talent without getting hurt...that is THE key to his, and the entire team's hope for success.

You are a True Fan for certain.  I agree and think he has a lot of potential and even more than that, I think he is one of Those Players that only come along maybe two or three per decade who will define the position.  Him and Luck and a few others will be the Mannings and Brady's of their generations.  <deep breath>  With that said, it's way to early to put him up there as you say yourself.  With that said, I think he couldn't be in a better situation in terms of his chances to reach his ultimate potential.  Time will tell.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

BTW, our own Mark Brunell had a rocket for an arm.  I seem to remember reading that he could also bench nearly 400 lbs IIRC which is absolutely ridiculous for a QB.  Maybe not on the top of the list, but he's one of the ones you have to talk about when you mention arm strength.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

So according to this, Blake has a stronger arm than all of these current starters...

• Tom Brady

• Jake Locker

• Derek Carr

• Tony Romo

• Matt Ryan

• Nick Foles

• Russell Wilson

• Phillip Rivers

• Peyton Manning

• Eli Manning

• Carson Palmer

• Geno Smith

• Drew Brees

• Kirk Cousins

• Ryan Fitzpatrick

• EJ Manuel

• Bryan Hoyer

• Alex Smith

• Ryan Tannehill

• Matt Cassel

• Andy Dalton

• Austin Davis

• Josh McCown

'02

Quote:From what I've seen, just based on the eye test, Bortles has the potential to be as good as anybody. 

^This

I am truly amazed at what I've seen so far from Bortles. The fake-spike TD pass was an example. Although the comparison has been made to Marino, the CB was not fooled by the fake. Bortles just threw the ball exactly where it needed to be for the TD.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Old enough to remember Namath as having the best arm I've seen. :whistling:

Maybe the best of the starters, although I don't remember his arm being all that strong. Of course I didn't see him play in the AFL when he was young and healthy.

Terry Bradshaw had a really strong arm too. In his first few years he had a lot of interceptions when his passes were thrown too hard for his receivers to catch.

The strongest arm I've ever seen was a backup QB for the Baltimore Colts name Karl Douglas. Really strong arm, but no accuracy.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote: 

So according to this, Blake has a stronger arm than all of these current starters...

• Tom Brady
    - yes

• Jake Locker
    - no

• Derek Carr
    - no

• Tony Romo
    - yes

• Matt Ryan
    - yes

• Nick Foles
    - yes

• Russell Wilson
    - yes

• Phillip Rivers
    - yes

• Peyton Manning
    - yes

• Eli Manning
    - yes

• Carson Palmer
    - yes

• Geno Smith
    - yes

• Drew Brees
    - yes

• Kirk Cousins
    - yes

• Ryan Fitzpatrick
    - yes

• EJ Manuel
    - eh, don't think so

• Bryan Hoyer
    - yes

• Alex Smith
    - definitely

• Ryan Tannehill
    - yes

• Matt Cassel
    - yes

• Andy Dalton
    - absolutely

• Austin Davis
    - .... I honestly have no idea

• Josh McCown
    - yes

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Guy is really going to go places. And one day, be #1! 

edit: post withdrawn

Quote:Arm strength is one of the most overrated things when it comes to QBs. As long as he can make "all the throws" and drive the ball then its good enough.
It's great that he can drive the ball, but what if he can't putt?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:It's great that he can drive the ball, but what if he can't putt?

http://jokes4us.com/sportsjokes/golfjoke...jokes.html

Quote:Leftwich never had the strongest arm. Maybe he could throw far, but when you have that windmill wind-up to manage it that's not a strong arm.
You might be able to find the video on utube. He was in a throwing competition with the strongest armed QBs in the league and he ended up winning. Threw it 83 yards I think, Carson Palmer came in second.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2014, 11:14 PM by sublime92.)

Quote:BTW, our own Mark Brunell had a rocket for an arm. I seem to remember reading that he could also bench nearly 400 lbs IIRC which is absolutely ridiculous for a QB. Maybe not on the top of the list, but he's one of the ones you have to talk about when you mention arm strength.
That's true. He always had a zip to his ball even into his Washington days.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2014, 08:40 AM by MoJagFan.)

The Around the NFL podcast guys write and talked about this article on their podcast.  They really talked about the QB coaching and willingness to work at his mechanics as the reason BB has jumped up their for fun article.

Their podcast makes me laugh.  Of course it made me want to cry when Blaine Gabbert was our QB.  They have the Gabbert Zone for yards per attempt.  Basically if your QB is in the Gabbert zone he is performing poorly. I know Duh.

The Geno Coaster comments always make me chuckle a bit.

And finally the After Dalton scale is another funny measure for Quarterback performance.

The league pundits aren't impressed with our team but they are shining on Bortles.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:It's great that he can drive the ball, but what if he can't putt?
 He three-putts a lot.  Heard he was working with Scobee after practice.  He does piece together a good "scramble" occasionally. 

Quote:I am convinced that Daniel Jeremiah is or will become a Jaguars fan.

Why? What does he have to do with Blake Bortles?