Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What we need to know about the Chargers

I did this in the AFC South section last week because the Colts are in our division. Now let's see if it works here for teams in other divisions.

We all know Philip Rivers is a very good quarterback and Antonio Gates is a very good tight end. But how good are the Chargers overall as a team?

San Diego upset the Seahawks in Week 2. Of course that does not mean they are better than Seattle, but reminds everyone why we say "any given Sunday." However, it is important to figure out how much of that win was San Diego being good instead of Seattle looking bad because all good teams occasionally have bad games.

Depth chart: http://www.chargers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Statistics: http://www.chargers.com/team/team-stats.html

Of course, the injury report will be posted in a different thread later.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They good. Especially at home. That's all I need to know.

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

They can pass.  We can't stop the pass.

Quote:They can pass.  We can't stop the pass.

That too. Antonio Gates is going to have a career day.

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

But if all the Chargers can do is pass because two running backs are injured (someone reported they are down to the third string RB), we will limit them a little bit.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2014, 09:08 PM by HolsterHusto.)

Quote:But if all the Chargers can do is pass because two running backs are injured (someone reported they are down to the third string RB), we will limit them a little bit.

Psssssh. We know they are going to pass and they will still destroy us through the air.

Quote:That too. Antonio Gates is going to have a career day.
Yes, and he is available in one of my fantasy leagues. Hoping I can get him off waivers!

At least we have bortles to look forward to....

Quote:Psssssh. We know they are going to pass and they will still destroy us through the air.

Do you know who their #1 WR is? If Philip Rivers spreads the ball around? How about WR rotations? Stuff like that will affect how well we can defend the pass.

Quote:But if all the Chargers can do is pass because two running backs are injured (someone reported they are down to the third string RB), we will limit them a little bit.
OK, we will limit them to 6 touchdowns instead of 7.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Do you know who their #1 WR is? If Philip Rivers spreads the ball around? How about WR rotations? Stuff like that will affect how well we can defend the pass.

I know Antonio Gates is a TE and they could out Helen Keller at TE and she would have over 100 yards receiving and two TDs.

Quote:I know Antonio Gates is a TE and they could out Helen Keller at TE and she would have over 100 yards receiving and two TDs.

C'mon, man! You should know I am being serious here.

Apparently other people are not interested in "Know Your Opponent" threads, so I won't make one for the Steelers next week.

Quote:Do you know who their #1 WR is? If Philip Rivers spreads the ball around? How about WR rotations? Stuff like that will affect how well we can defend the pass.

Their top 3 WRs are Keenan Allen, Malcolm Floyd, and Eddie Royal. All 3 can go vertical. Not to mention Antonio Gates and Ladarius Green as TE. Both of which are catching TEs.

Quote:Their top 3 WRs are Keenan Allen, Malcolm Floyd, and Eddie Royal. All 3 can go vertical. Not to mention Antonio Gates and Ladarius Green as TE. Both of which are catching TEs.

Two tight ends? I had no idea they ever ran a two-tight end set.

I remember when Eddie Royal played for the Broncos. Why Denver let him go will never make any sense to me.

That we've been blown out every single time we've traveled to San Diego in the 2000s

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Two tight ends? I had no idea they ever ran a two-tight end set.

I remember when Eddie Royal played for the Broncos. Why Denver let him go will never make any sense to me.
Because Royal wanted money that Denver wasn't going to give him after they drafted Demaryius Thomas

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:That we've been blown out every single time we've traveled to San Diego in the 2000s

It sure would be nice if this game could be the end of our West Coast curse. I am afraid we will get blown out again.

It will be more fun to talk about the Steelers next week.

Quote:I did this in the AFC South section last week because the Colts are in our division. Now let's see if it works here for teams in other divisions.

We all know Philip Rivers is a very good quarterback and Antonio Gates is a very good tight end. But how good are the Chargers overall as a team?

San Diego upset the Seahawks in Week 2. Of course that does not mean they are better than Seattle, but reminds everyone why we say "any given Sunday." However, it is important to figure out how much of that win was San Diego being good instead of Seattle looking bad because all good teams occasionally have bad games.

Depth chart: http://www.chargers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Statistics: http://www.chargers.com/team/team-stats.html

Of course, the injury report will be posted in a different thread later.

San Diego deservedly won. I think our biggest problem in that game was we didn't control TOP with running game like we usually do. Lynch had some back problems and only had 6 carries. We scored 3 TDs on quick drives (1:25, 0:52 and 2:58 minutes long), so it's possible to move against their defense. Of course I will take 7 points whenever we can, but I think on a hot day like that we should try to run more with Turbin or maybe even Harvin to keep defense fresh. Defense was on the field for 21 minutes in each half and they were gassed even before the halftime. ET, Kam and some other players all went into the locker room with cramps and minor injuries in the 2nd half.

Chargers were moving all over our defense from the start and they converted good on 3rd downs (10/17). There were missed tackles and linebackers couldn't cover Antonio Gates. Philip Rivers also probably had one of the best games of his career. Harvin's fumble on return deep in our teritorry before the halftime didn't help us either. With how the game was going on I was surprised we keep it close. Still at the end this was our first defeat for more than 7 points after week 9 of the 2011 season.

I know you are all excited about Bortles and I'm also looking forward to see his 1st start (we have a bye week, so I'll probably watch your game), but I think the Jaguars should also try to establish running game with Gerhart to prolong drives and keep Rivers off the field. And there is another thing about Chargers we shouldn't overlook. There is no doubt they are a talented team, but they have a history of beating good teams and also lose games they shouldn't (last season they win against Denver but lost @HOU, @TEN and @OAK). I still think they will win at home, but if they don't take you seriously and Bortles can do some good long drives this game could be closer than most think.

Good luck.

Quote:San Diego deservedly won. I think our biggest problem in that game was we didn't control TOP with running game like we usually do. Lynch had some back problems and only had 6 carries. We scored 3 TDs on quick drives (1:25, 0:52 and 2:58 minutes long), so it's possible to move against their defense. Of course I will take 7 points whenever we can, but I think on a hot day like that we should try to run more with Turbin or maybe even Harvin to keep defense fresh. Defense was on the field for 21 minutes in each half and they were gassed even before the halftime. ET, Kam and some other players all went into the locker room with cramps and minor injuries in the 2nd half.

Chargers were moving all over our defense from the start and they converted good on 3rd downs (10/17). There were missed tackles and linebackers couldn't cover Antonio Gates. Philip Rivers also probably had one of the best games of his career. Harvin's fumble on return deep in our teritorry before the halftime didn't help us either. With how the game was going on I was surprised we keep it close. Still at the end this was our first defeat for more than 7 points after week 9 of the 2011 season.

I know you are all excited about Bortles and I'm also looking forward to see his 1st start (we have a bye week, so I'll probably watch your game), but I think the Jaguars should also try to establish running game with Gerhart to prolong drives and keep Rivers off the field. And there is another thing about Chargers we shouldn't overlook. There is no doubt they are a talented team, but they have a history of beating good teams and also lose games they shouldn't (last season they win against Denver but lost @HOU, @TEN and @OAK). I still think they will win at home, but if they don't take you seriously and Bortles can do some good long drives this game could be closer than most think.

Good luck.

Thanks Sea. It looks like Jaguars fans should expect another double-digit loss unless both Rivers and Gates suffer severe injuries and do not return. We can't run much, partly because Toby Gerhart is only good up the middle and two rookies are there. If the Chargers really do play down to their opponent's level, I can see a closer loss in San Diego but not a win.

Everybody on this board is excited about Blake Bortles making his first NFL start. In just half of one game, we have already seen him make the whole offense better, take chances, avoid sacks, stand tall in the pocket, throw the ball downfield, look for single coverage, and do a Dan Marino trick. Footwork is still an issue and because he did not need to practice game clock control we still don't know what would happen in a two-minute drill situation. But right now we are all excited about seeing improvement in everything he already is good at now that he is spending a whole week with the starters on offense.

If we hold them under 35 points I would say we had a good day